• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Esther Crawley - 18th May 2017 - A day with the MUPP(ets) and more

Countrygirl

http://www.swpc.org.uk/Exeter2017SWPCProgramme.pdf

South West Paediatric Club
A Day with the MUPPETs (Medically Unexplained Physical, Psychological Symptoms)

15.30 Victor Neale Memorial Lecture:

CFS/ME, what we know and research updates.
Professor Esther Crawley, Bristol Children's Hospital

Can anyone cover this?

Just dire!

The medics at the hospital are very anti-ME patients and quite contemptuous and dismissive in their treatment.

We don't need this injection of misinformation from EC.

I assume you have to be a medical professional to attend?????

Last edited:

Large Donner

Muppet is British slang for idiot, right?

Yes it is. Just how much more condescending and unethical can you be right in front of everyone eyes?

When you call someone a muppet you are basically saying their opinions should not be taken seriously and they are talking rubbish.

So they are now promoting that other physicians should see kids with any kind of fatigue as muppets.

lilpink

A Day with the MUPPETs
Everything you need to know about children with fatigue

If this was 'A Day with the 'Spastics' :everything you need to know about children with cerebral palsy' there would be uproar. I appreciate one is a now outdated term and the other is an acronym but they both present the same connotations of prejudice. I thought I'd seen it all with Crawley's hideous libelous posting at the recent talk to renal consultants, but this takes the biscuit. Tbh it takes the whole Tesco biscuit aisle.

I'm so shocked I can hardly breathe.

How can it ever be ethical to make such a crass insulting joke about sick and disabled kids.

Muppets - dictionary definition 'an incompetent or foolish person'.

And this is being advertised by an organisation for people working with children with special educational needs.

Can anyone in the local area alert this organisation to the reality of EC and her poisonous views and bad science? Maybe send them copies of the slides from the recent renal association talk, and explain the misuse of photos, insult to patients, scientists, David Tuller etc. Maybe wait for the MEA response to this later this week and use it if appropriate.

@Countrygirl , @Molly98 ?

I notice she's not even pretending it's about CFS now, just 'chronic fatigue'.

Edit: I've just looked at the flyer more carefully. It's not EC who came up with the title MUPPETS, it's the organisation running the day. WTF.

Countrygirl

How can it ever be ethical to make such a crass insulting joke about sick and disabled kids.

And this is being advertised to an organisation for people working with children with special educational needs.

Can anyone in the local area alert this organisation to the reality of EC and her poisonous views and bad science? Maybe send them copies of the slides from the recent renal association talk, and explain the misuse of photos, insult to patients, scientists, David Tuller etc. Maybe wait for the MEA response to this later this week and use it if appropriate.

Just dire and double dire!

I now have problems myself with this set up! Geesh!

(see my post about questions from the fatigue clinic just now)

Muppets!

I am still trying to digest this!

Countrygirl

And this is being advertised by an organisation for people working with children with special educational needs.

Edit: I've just looked at the flyer more carefully. It's not EC who came up with the title MUPPETS, it's the organisation running the day. WTF.

We so need someone to attend this.

I guess it has to be someone with a medical qualification. Does anyone know for certain?

Which local organisation, @trishrhymes ?

The South West Pediatric club, as named on top of the flyer. I assume from the fact that it's at a hospital and says in small print at the bottom 'RCPCH approval for CPD applied for and awaited', that it's a group for pediatricians in the South West of England. Must have some kind of history and official standing if they have a memorial lecture and trainee prize giving and call it a conference.

Looking at the speaker list and topics, I think we're probably on a hiding to nothing trying to alert them to the perfidy of Crawley. I suspect they are all firmly in the BPS camp already and probably her biggest fans. It would be great to get someone to attend and report on her talk as well as all the others, but I can't see how we can. Does anyone know a friendly doctor with a day to waste?

Mohawk1995

Where she got her 'leadership' qualities:
http://www.buddevelopment.co.uk/

"Our approach to leadership development begins with curiosity; leaders seeking to understand and discover answers to the real challenges that they face. It promotes compassion towards ones self and others, appreciating our human struggles and accepting that we do not work in an emotional vacuum. It leads to leaders becoming more courageous and confident to choose to do what is right rather than what is easy."

First off leadership does not begin with curiosity, it begins with humility. Bear in mind humility is not the lack of confidence, it is the highest level of confidence which then opens the door to listening to others. Then if one is curious, which of course they should be, it leads to seeking to understand others viewpoints, having open dialogue (including disagreements), analyzing the data/feedback and then leading in a way so the team can "discover answers to the real challenges that they face".

Also, as a leader I am not concerned with compassion towards myself, I have enough compassion there already. What I need more of is compassion for others. I would agree that we do not work in an emotional vacuum, but from the sound of it the CBT/GET ME treatment crowd did very little to acknowledge the emotions of the patients they took on the responsibility to treat.

This all sounds far to egocentric to me. I am sure they "get results", but if humility is not first and foremost, at what expense?

Countrygirl

http://www.swpc.org.uk/meetings.htm

Spring Meeting, Thursday 18th May 2017
RILD lecture theatre, Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust
Meeting Fees
Medical Students / Retired Members:

£25
Member Consultant / SASG:

£40
Member Trainee, Nurses, AHPs:

£25
Non Member Consultant / SASG / GP:

£80
Non Member Trainee:

£60

Meeting Dinner:

£15
The South West Paediatric Club is pleased to be able to send further information about the forthcoming Spring Meeting in Exeter in May; allowing plenty of time to clear the diary and make the necessary swaps…

“A day with the MUPP(ET)S” - a study day on the Medically Unexplained Persistent Physical Symptoms.
Thursday May 18th, 09.30-16.30 at the RILD lecture theatre, Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust

We will be covering topics such as Chronic pain, Chronic fatigue, Ehlers Danlos and POTS, with speakers including Dr Hannah Connell, Clinical lead and psychologist for Bath paediatric chronic pain service, and Dr Rory Conn, Liaison Psychiatrist from London. Our open forum discussion sessions will highlight pilot schemes in the area and will allow for case discussions brought in by clinicians and allied health professionals form around the region.

There will also be an opportunity for trainees to give poster and oral presentations, the closing date for abstracts will be in mid-late April.

Abstracts are invited; please submit no more than 250 words to david.bartle@nhs.net by Monday 24th April 2017

See the full programme here for what promises to be a fascinating and interesting day that will be relevant to us all, whatever the specialty.

Register for the Meeting and if relevant pay online for the meeting and dinner