• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Just found these in the toilet after using it... worms?

was having some stomach issues today, had a lot of pressure feelings in the gut, eventually ended up turning to a bit of diarrhea and when i looked in the toilet I saw these two things...

kmluIXC.jpg

I have no idea what these are, pretty worried to say the least. They look like worms.

Thinktank

Could be mucosa. You mentioned pressure and diahrrea, sounds like you're dealing with intestinal inflammation.

Thinktank

It does to me, like heavily damaged mucosa. I suffer from inflammatory bowel disease and have passed similar string-like objects.

Could be mucosa. You mentioned pressure and diahrrea, sounds like you're dealing with intestinal inflammation.
The pressure and diarrhoea is not an everyday thing for me. It's hard to explain but i think sudden intense pressure is a good way to explain it, quite intense and you just want it to end, relief as the poo comes out but 5 minutes later you need to go back. It started of as stringy poo and then turned to diarrhoea and that's when these stringy things appeared. I was definitely suffering intestional inflammation when this happened

Valentijn

Do the string-like objects you pass have heads like mine?
All of the intestinal worms I could find photos of didn't have anything looking like heads. Most were pretty symmetrical, with a thick center and tapering off toward the end. Only the whipworm has a skinny "tail", but still no head wider than the body.

Have you considered an autopsy? :wide-eyed: Or take it to your doctor. It also doesn't look much like the photos of intestinal mucosa, but that can vary a lot.

I wish I could just go and see a good dr but living in the UK we have the NHS and it would take atleast 3 months to get an appointment and then ill get there and they have an extremely backwards way of thinking. I wish i knew of a good private doctor for these issues, id just pay and get an appointment ASAP. I think bringing the sample to the Dr is a good idea, not sure how i should preserve it though, its dried up since last night.

Hutan

This case study covers the bean sprout possibility.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3192079/
It's interesting to see that two doctors looking at the excreted sprouts in the case study could not tell them apart from worms. (Edit; sorry @Ysabelle-S I've just realised that you linked that case study further up the thread.)

And this blog suggests the sprouts might cause gastrointestinal symptoms.
http://www.poopreport.com/Stories/out_damned_sprout.html

Had you eaten any sprouts in the day before the appearance of these things?

I expect drying the specimens out will be fine as a way to preserve them.

Last edited:
This case study covers the bean sprout possibility.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3192079/
It's interesting to see that two doctors looking at the excreted sprouts in the case study could not tell them apart from worms.

And this blog suggests the sprouts might cause gastrointestinal symptoms.
http://www.poopreport.com/Stories/out_damned_sprout.html

Had you eaten any sprouts in the day before the appearance of these things?

I expect drying the specimens out will be fine as a way to preserve them.
Funilly enough, like the guy in the study i ate chinese the day before but im 95% sure what I ate didnt contain beansprouts. Beansprouts could have only have been hidden in the rice but I dont see how they could be hidden and be as big as what I found in my toilet.

I can simply reorder the same food I did and check, its probably worth doing.

IF it is a beansprout or other food, could it be from 2-3 days before i pooped it out?

i will be taking the sample to my GP first thing in the morning.
Its sad because after a decade of dealing the NHS I know what to expect, they wont even take the sample off of me and check it.
Treatment would just be a case of throwing drugs at me without properly indintifying the problem,

Are there any good international drs out there for this kind of thing? im so new to gut issues.

Learner1

They have private docs in the UK, dont they?

My kids have had 2 types of worms and if that's what they are, you don't want them sticking around. Genova Diagnostics GI Effects test can be quite helpfu - it'll tell what they are, along with how to treat. Look on their website to find a provider.

But maybe its bean sprouts...;)

They have private docs in the UK, dont they?

My kids have had 2 types of worms and if that's what they are, you don't want them sticking around. Genova Diagnostics GI Effects test can be quite helpfu - it'll tell what they are, along with how to treat. Look on their website to find a provider.

But maybe its bean sprouts...;)
I did the GI stool effects test 9 months ago and it didnt show any parasites at all

Ive done organic acid tests and urinary amino acids, the results indicated candida and sibo but the 3 day stool test showed 0 parasites.

ofcourse it could be a recent infection though.

Most privates doctors tend to be workingly private as a side job from working for the NHS.
And they tend to follow the same principles as they would with their NHS patients.

Last edited: