• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Staph vaccine to treat CFS??

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Please forgive me if this has already been posted. I found an article on the European Society for ME website about staphylococcus vaccine given to ME patients as a treatment. There is no date so not sure when written.

http://esme-eu.com/treatment/vaccine-treatment-against-staphylococcus-in-me-cfs-article108-110.html

Does anyone have any more information on this?? It sounds too good to be true.

Kristina

Administrator edit:
NOTE:

An index to all the important posts in this thread ➤ HERE

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY OF THIS THREAD:

The Staphypan Staphylococcus vaccine proved highly effective in treating ME/CFS, and when taken once a month, was able to keep many cases of ME/CFS in remission, as confirmed by clinical trials.

But infuriatingly, the pharmaceutical company making Staphypan discontinued this product in 2005, leaving all the ME/CFS patients who were doing well on it in the lurch.

But a potential replacement for Staphypan was discovered in Russia, and posts later in this thread detail the experiments of members of this forum who have tried the Russian Staphylococcus vaccine. See the index for more details

Last edited by a moderator:

Hope123

Looked at this a while ago.

The paper I read was mostly based on lab values it seems and not so much on how people were feeling/ function. That's what I took from it.
It wasn't clear and I wasn't impressed.

But your link goes to another paper so I'll also try to take a look again. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

The first abstract is the one I read. The second, I haven't read. I don't have a full copy of the second paper so if anyone has it, please PM me. Of note, everyone in the trial had FM and CFS so I don't know how much it applies to plain CFS given Fukuda definition was used. My guess is the vaccine stimulates some immune response perhaps but it's tricky given that rituximab (which suppresses immune response) also has been show to have a beneficial effect. But I'm not going to argue with any success.

1. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2004 Feb;23(2):98-105. Epub 2004 Jan 20.
Immune modulation with a staphylococcal preparation in fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome: relation between antibody levels and clinical improvement.

Zachrisson O, Colque-Navarro P, Gottfries CG, Regland B, Mllby R.

Institute of Clinical Neuroscience, SU/Mlndal, 43180 Mlndal, Sweden. olof.zachrisson@neuro.gu.se
Abstract

The aims of this study were to evaluate the serological response to treatment with staphylococcal vaccine in fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome patients and to explore the relationship between serological response and clinical effect. Twenty-eight patients, half of whom served as controls, were recruited from a 6-month randomised trial in which repeated administration of the staphylococcal toxoid vaccine Staphypan Berna (Berna Biotech, Switzerland) was tested against placebo. Antibody status against extracellular toxins/enzymes, cell-wall components, and enterotoxins was evaluated at baseline and at endpoint. The clinical response to treatment was recorded in rating scales. In the group receiving active treatment, significant serological changes were recorded, whereas no significant changes were found in controls. Treatment led to a significantly increased capacity of serum to neutralise alpha-toxin and a significant increase in serum IgG to alpha-toxin and lipase. Furthermore, the increase in these parameters combined paralleled the improvement in clinical outcome. Thus, the greater the serological response, the greater was the clinical effect. In conclusion, this explorative study has shown that repeated administration of the Staphypan Berna vaccine in patients with fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome causes a serological response to several staphylococcal antigens, particularly to certain extracellular toxins and enzymes. The results further show that this response is related to the clinical outcome of treatment.

PMID: 14735403 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

2. Eur J Pain. 2002;6(6):455-66.
Treatment with staphylococcus toxoid in fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome--a randomised controlled trial.

Zachrisson O, Regland B, Jahreskog M, Jonsson M, Kron M, Gottfries CG.

Psychiatry Section, Institute of Clinical Neuroscience, Gteborg University, Gteborg, Sweden. olof.zachrisson@neuro.gu.se
Abstract

We have previously conducted a small treatment study on staphylococcus toxoid in fibromyalgia (FM) and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). The aim of the present study was to further assess the efficacy of the staphylococcus toxoid preparation Staphypan Berna (SB) during 6 months in FM/CFS patients. One hundred consecutively referred patients fulfilling the ACR criteria for FM and the 1994 CDC criteria for CFS were randomised to receive active drug or placebo. Treatment included weekly injections containing 0.1 ml, 0.2 ml, 0.3 ml, 0.4 ml, 0.6 ml, 0.8 ml, 0.9 ml, and 1.0 ml SB or coloured sterile water, followed by booster doses given 4-weekly until endpoint. Main outcome measures were the proportion of responders according to global ratings and the proportion of patients with a symptom reduction of > or =50% on a 15-item subscale derived from the comprehensive psychopathological rating scale (CPRS). The treatment was well tolerated. Intention-to-treat analysis showed 32/49 (65%) responders in the SB group compared to 9/49 (18%) in the placebo group (P<0.001). Sixteen patients (33%) in the SB group reduced their CPRS scores by at least 50% compared to five patients (10%) in the placebo group (P< 0.01). Mean change score on the CPRS (95% confidence interval) was 10.0 (6.7-13.3) in the SB group and 3.9 (1.1-6.6) in the placebo group (P<0.01). An increase in CPRS symptoms at withdrawal was noted in the SB group. In conclusion, treatment with staphylococcus toxoid injections over 6 months led to significant improvement in patients with FM and CFS. Maintenance treatment is required to prevent relapse.

PMID: 12413434 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Dolphin

(2006) Long-Term Treatment with a Staphylococcus Toxoid Vaccine in FMS & CFS

Another paper

Long-Term Treatment with a Staphylococcus Toxoid Vaccine in Patients with Fibromyalgia
and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Carl-Gerhard Gottfries, MD, PhD
Ove Hger
Bjrn Regland, MD, PhD
Olof Zachrisson, MD, PhD

ABSTRACT. One hundred and sixty patients with fibromyalgia and
chronic fatigue syndrome, who were on a continuous treatment with a
Staphylococcus vaccine, were followed during one year with repeated
consultation visits. The patients had participated in controlled studies
and been on continuous treatment with the vaccine for 2210 months
before inclusion into this follow-up study. They were treated with 1 mL
of the vaccine subcutaneously every third to fourth week. Adverse
events were few. The adherence to the treatment was very good. Over a
period of one year, 8% withdrew, and in only 5%, the withdrawal was
due to insufficient clinical effect. Only in two cases where the patients
were allergic to the preservative of the vaccine, the side effects caused
the withdrawal of the treatment. Ratings with scales (CPRS-15 and
FibroFatigue) showed improvement from start of treatment and also
further improvement during the follow-up year. In view of the natural history
for these disorders the result is of interest. doi:10.1300/J092v13n04_04

[Article copies available for a fee from The Haworth Document Delivery Service:
1-800-HAWORTH. E-mail address: <docdelivery@haworthpress.com>
Website: <http://www.HaworthPress.com> 2006 by The Haworth Press, Inc.
All rights reserved.]

KEYWORDS. Fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, Staphylococcus
vaccine, long-term treatment

Carl-Gerhard Gottfries (E-mail: carl-gerhard.gottfries@vgregion.se) is Professor Emeritus,
Ove Hger (E-mail: ove.hager@vgregion.se) is Research Nurse, Bjrn Regland
(E-mail: bjorn.regland@vgregion.se) is Assistant Professor, and Olof Zachrisson (E-mail:
olof.zachrisson@vgregion.se); all are affiliated with the Institute of Clinical Neuroscience,
University of Gothenburg, Sweden.

Address correspondence to: Carl-Gerhard Gottfries, Institute of Clinical Neuroscience,
Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Se-431 80 Mlndal, Sweden (E-mail: carl-gerhard.
gottfries@vgregion.se).

Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Vol. 13(4) 2006
Available online at http://jcfs.haworthpress.com
2006 by The Haworth Press, Inc. All rights reserved.
doi:10.1300/J092v13n04_04 29

Dolphin

Post on Co-Cure, Sept 2009:

Staphylococcus vaccine for patients with ME/CFS and FM - Swedish research

Gottfries Clinic in Mlndal (Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe) has conducted research into treatment of patients with ME/CFS and FM (fibromyalgia) for some time. Unfortunately, their research is at halt since some years due to problems of having the pharmaceutical company to replace the preservative of the vaccine into a mercury-free substance. A funding of 600 000 € is needed I think, but I am not sure.

Below I give some of the references of the research group at Gottfries Clinic ( http://www.gottfriesclinic.com ):

Zachrisson O, Colque-Navarro P, Gottfries CG, Regland B, Mllby R.
Immune modulation with a staphylococcal preparation in fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome: relation between antibody levels and clinical improvement.
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2004 Feb;23(2):98-105. Epub 2004 Jan 20.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14735403

Zachrisson O, Regland B, Jahreskog M, Jonsson M, Kron M, Gottfries CG.
Treatment with staphylococcus toxoid in fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue syndrome--a randomised controlled trial.
Eur J Pain. 2002;6(6):455-66.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12413434

Thesis (all in English)
Olof Zachrisson
Fibromyalgia Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Aspects on biology, treatment, and symptom evaluation.
Doctoral thesis from institute of clinical neuroscience, section of psychiatry, Gteborg University, Sweden, 2002. ISBN 91-628-5386-4.

For the following links to the Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology at the University of Gothenburg, select English at top right:
http://www.gu.se/
http://www.neurophys.gu.se/

/Kasper, rebro, Sweden, Northern Europe

———————————————————————————
| ME-freningen: http://me-foreningen.se
| ME-information: http://me-cfs.se
———————————————————————————

Dolphin

Sept 2009

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/ind...e-patients-about-a-treatment-for-m&Itemid=222

Announcement from the Swedish National Association for ME patients about a treatment for ME/CFS

The ME Association has been discussing this immunological treatment, and ways of advancing this research, with Professor Lars Lagerstrand (Karolinska University Hospital, Stockholm) and he has asked if we could place this announcement on our website.

More information on the vaccine being referred to, including medical references to clinical trials that have taken place, can be found in section 7:3 (Immunological treatments) of 'ME/CFS/PVFS - An Exploration of the Key Clinical Issues'. If you wish to contact Professor Lagerstrand please do so directly his email address is provided below.

Message from Professor Lagerstrand:

I am a medical doctor and associate professor working at the Karolinska University Hospital in Stockholm and a member of the committee of the Swedish Association for ME patients in Stockholm. However, I am also a patient with ME/chronic fatigue syndrome since 14 years and have been successfully treated with a vaccine against staphylococcus during the last 8 years.

A Swedish research group has developed a treatment against ME/CFS that reduces symptoms significantly. In Sweden we have about one hundred and fifty patients with ME/CFS that have been successfully treated with a vaccine against staphylococcus. The vaccine has been given to us monthly during 5-10 years without any adverse effects. The treatment has made it possible for the majority of us to work and also to have energy left for our families, friends and even sports and outdoor life. The effectiveness of the vaccine has been proven in a double blind scientific study.

However the vaccine is not produced anymore and most of us have been forced back to illness life. We have thus come to an absurd situation where there exists a treatment of ME/CFS, which could dramatically reduce symptoms and make life much better for millions of people all over the world. It could also reduce the cost of health insurance and probably give a clever financier millions, but perhaps no further development will be done. As far as I can see this is the only possible treatment that could help us within a not too distant future.

We want to spread the information internationally about this treatment among patients, patient organizations and interested doctors as we hope that this could contribute to get a discussion going about how to get resources to develop the treatment. We need help to convince a vaccine manufacturer to start a new vaccine production that makes further research possible. We would also be pleased if someone has contacts or other ideas that could help to solve this problem.

Lars Lagerstrand MD, PhD
Associate Professor, Karolinska University, Stockholm

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Thanks so much Hope and tomk for the additional links and info. You're right Hope that they did not seperate CFS from FM unfortunately.

It's interesting that a vaccine may have caused improvement when Judy Mikovits has theorized that vaccines may be a trigger for XMRV as it causes an up-regulation of the immune system where the virus hangs out.

I would love for WPI to look into this study and perhaps perform their own.

oerganix

I notice these guys are in the "Psychiatry Section" of their University, so I wonder about the cohort they used; additionally, their use of the term FM/CFS indicates they don't differentiate the two illnesses.

About their cohort: "patients fulfilling the ACR criteria for FM and the 1994 CDC criteria".

What is the "ACR criteria" for FM? And isn't the 1994 CDC criteria the "empirical definition" that sweeps millions with depression and simple "chronic fatigue", without the syndrome, into the definition? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Dolphin

And isn't the 1994 CDC criteria the "empirical definition" that sweeps millions with depression and simple "chronic fatigue", without the syndrome, into the definition? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The empirical criteria are a bastardized form of the 1994 criteria. The empiric criteria give a prevalence of 2.54% of the population but using similar methodology, the prevalence of the 1994 criteria was 0.422% and 0.235%. The 1994 criteria are used in the vast bulk of CFS research.

Hip

I don't know if this is the original company that manufactured the staphylococcus toxoid vaccine, but I came across this product Polystafana made by Czech company Sevapharma.

However, I cannot see Polystafana listed in their products drop down menu.

Question: one thing that is not clear to me: will Staphylococcus toxoid vaccine benefit everyone with CFS, or only CFS patients that have staphylococcus co-infections (such as a Staphylococcus aureus population in their intestines)?

If the Staphylococcus toxoid vaccine benefits everyone with CFS, then perhaps it is not the anti-bacterial action of the vaccine, but some other mechanism.

Staphylococcus toxoid vaccine comprises 80% alpha toxin. Staphylococcus alpha toxin is also called alpha hemolysin.

Now, Staphylococcus alpha toxin is a pore-forming toxin — it bores microscopic holes into the membranes of cells. The effect of this is that it allows small molecules to enter cells.

So perhaps the mechanism behind the benefit of Staphylococcus toxoid vaccine on CFS is related to its ability to make holes in our cells, rather than its anti-bacterial action against staphylococcus???

Last edited:

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Thanks fairlight - I haven't heard a connection with nickel allergy and CFS/FM before. Great to see another study with good results. It makes me wonder if we reduce the amount of nickel we ingest (chocolate, nuts, spinach, oatmeal, etc. as suggested) if we would see improvements even without the staph vaccine?

Hip - you brings up good questions - I got the idea that it is not necessarily treating staph but that it is only causing the immune system to act differently - however, if that is the case, then maybe some other vaccines would work the same way, I wish the researchers had speculated why it was working.

It brings up many more issues, could we have a staph problem......

Has anyone found a resource where we can get this vaccine? I think it's given sub Q so we could give it to oursleves. I think it's a little strange that they've been using the vaccine on some patients for 5-10 years and are just now sharing when they can't get it..

Hip

Hip - you brings up good questions - I got the idea that it is not necessarily treating staph but that it is only causing the immune system to act differently - however, if that is the case, then maybe some other vaccines would work the same way, I wish the researchers had speculated why it was working. It brings up many more issues, could we have a staph problem......

Yeah, you are right in saying that nobody has looked in depth into the reason why staphylococcus vaccine (which comprises 80% alpha toxin) has been beneficial to CFS patients.

As you say, we may just have a major staphylococcus problem. This study of CFS patients found that treatment with Staphylococcus vaccine led to a significantly increased capacity of the blood serum to neutralize alpha-toxin. So by treating with Staphylococcus vaccine, the body can better eliminate alpha toxin from our bodies.

Alpha toxin bores microscopic holes into the membranes of human cells, and these tiny holes in the cell wall allow ions like potassium, magnesium, sodium to flow in and out of the cell. Staphylococcus alpha toxin actually forms ionic channels in cells.

So perhaps the presence of alpha toxin in CFS patients causes or exacerbates an imbalance in ion concentrations inside the cell. Researchers have speculated that abnormal ion channel function of cells underlies the symptoms of CFS (see here: Neurological Channelopathy in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome).

Last edited:

Hip

I always assumed that Staphylococcus toxoid vaccine works in CFS/ME by increasing the immune response to Staphylococcus alpha toxin (which it does do). However, I just came cross this very interesting study that found Staphylococcus toxoid has more general immunomodulatory effects (on coxsackievirus B3 in this study):

Correction of immune response using purified staphylococcal toxoid and likopid in the secondary immunodeficiency induced by coxsackievirus B3

Thus Staphylococcus toxoid vaccine appears to correct the immunodeficiency caused by coxsackievirus B3 infection. Note that ME/CFS is strongly linked to chronic infection with coxsackievirus B.

So perhaps the reason Staphylococcus toxoid vaccine is of benefit to people with CFS/ME is because it corrects the immunodeficiency caused by the coxsackievirus B infections often found in ME/CFS, rather than because it boosts the anti-Staphylococcus response of the immune system. Or perhaps it is because of both.

Last edited:

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Ive just come across this thread after a search for staph infection.
I visited Dr Myhill last week for a consultationn and she felt that my nose bleeds and gritty/dry eyes with regular styes and lung infections could all have been caused by staph infection. She prescribed Fucidin ointment for up my nose and on my eyelids (although bizzrely it says on the pack do not put near eyes or internally)
She mentioned this research into the vaccine and said that the research had been halted due to funding issues and had never been restarted but that it was very positive research. She didnt take a swab to see if it was Staph, but i would have thought that if it was a big issue especially internally some cream isnt going to help much in the long run.
This research looks really interesting and very promising but i dont know where to go with this now. Any ideas?

Hip

Here are some excerpts from recent studies on staphylococcus toxoid injections for ME/CFS and fibromyalgia:
• Treatment with staphylococcus toxoid injections over 6 months led to significant improvement in patients with FM and CFS. Maintenance treatment is required to prevent relapse (1)

• Treatment with staphylococcus toxoid may be a fruitful strategy in patients with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome (1)

• Studies of immunological therapies (a controlled trial of inosine pranobex and a relatively low quality RCT of staphylococcus toxoid) were added to the updated review. Both of these treatments showed benefits for some outcomes but were also associated with relatively high levels of adverse events. (1)

Hip

I just found this page listing three different brands of Staphylococcal toxoid vaccine, namely the brands: Polystafana, Anatoxina Estafilococica and Duplovac. But performing a Google search on these brands, I cannot seem to find any place that is actually selling these vaccines.

Last edited: