• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Scotsman: Kevan Christie: Stereotyping still prevents ME from being taken seriously

The media coverage for the Millions Missing protest to raise awareness of ME in Scotland is to be welcomed and will hopefully lead to a much-needed conversation around this often misunderstood condition.

The debate around the illness once known as ‘yuppie flu’ in the 1980s because sufferers tended to be professional people between 20 and 40 contributed to the slew of negativity that proceeded to shape debate for decades – based on nothing more than ignorance. Outbreaks of a previously unknown illness were recorded as far back as the 1930s and the term myalgic encephalomyelitis was first used after a comparable outbreak at the Royal Free Hospital in London in the 1950s.

ME is a systemic neuro-immune disease with debilitating and often disabling symptoms leaving the patient with an inability to carry out everyday activities becasue of, among many other symptoms, profound fatigue. Shamefully people with the condition, which affects more women than men, have been treated terribly for years. The image of a stereotypical ME sufferer has been allowed to form – white, middle-class, educated, a bit sensitive, probably a woman, who thinks they’re ill but ‘it’s all in their head’; someone who listens to fey indie bands like Belle and Sebastian whose lead singer Stuart Murdoch has ME and has spoken out powerfully in support of the Millions Missing worldwide protest.

A generation of working-class Scots first became aware of ME when Celtic and Scotland footballer Davie Provan was struck down with the condition also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS) and had to pack the game in at the tender age of 29.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/opinio...vents-me-from-being-taken-seriously-1-4442502

Ysabelle-S

Highly Vexatious
I also sent him Dr Charles Lapp's talk in Auckland, which he acknowledged by liking - some people use like as a bookmark, some just to acknowledge receipt of a tweet. So I don't know if he'll look at it or not, but I hope he does. It has a lot of useful info in it, including Institute of Medicine report, SEID, POTS, mentions the Rituximab research and the possible mechanism behind it.

Was good to see his article anyway. Think that might be the second one this week from the Scotsman, if I remember correctly.