• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pro Athlete Lumps Cancer, AIDS And ME In Same Category On TV

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

Mohawk1995

Comparing Clinical Depression with being sad about your circumstances is like comparing ME to being tired after a busy day at work. Being sad about your circumstances is not Clinical Depression especially if your circumstances warrant it. Being tired after a day at work is not like ME because you should be tired after a day at work.

So sometimes people link the very real Clinical Depression with ME. They are both legitimate diseases and of course someone could have both, but they are not the same. People with Depression will fail to even initiate an activity but if you can get them to initiate they will likely complete or do a good bit of it. Those with ME will attempt the activity, usually not be able to complete it and then crash for several days. Different clinical presentations.

RogerBlack

I got CFS at age 12, and have been very significantly disabled for several decades.

If, as a 12 year-old (with current medicine) I was to have gotten HIV, I would have faced a possibly few months to a year period of various illnesses, until I hit on one of the signature presentations of AIDS, and got treatment, having (in the most part) an otherwise unlimited life.
If I had gotten many cancers at the same age, the prognosis in terms of how much of my active life would be taken away on average would be less.

TrixieStix

Comparing Clinical Depression with being sad about your circumstances is like comparing ME to being tired after a busy day at work. Being sad about your circumstances is not Clinical Depression especially if your circumstances warrant it. Being tired after a day at work is not like ME because you should be tired after a day at work.

So sometimes people link the very real Clinical Depression with ME. They are both legitimate diseases and of course someone could have both, but they are not the same. People with Depression will fail to even initiate an activity but if you can get them to initiate they will likely complete or do a good bit of it. Those with ME will attempt the activity, usually not be able to complete it and then crash for several days. Different clinical presentations.

He wasn't making a direct comparison between depression and the other illnesses. He was pointing out that no one would ever make the assumption that someone who is wealthy can not get cancer, AIDS, ME, etc because of their wealth so why would someone assume a wealthy person can not get depression which is also a physical illness like cancer, AIDS, and ME.