• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Testing for Excitiotoxicity or Overmethylation?

I have had excitotoxic issues several times from Glutamine, Cabbage juice, and once from Methyl B12. Even once from too many probiotics.
Is there any way to test for this? Assess glutamate levels? Any other markers?
For me these reactions take a very long time to clear, and it would be nice to be sure exactly what is going on.

Regards.
Viking

Mary

Moderator Resource
I have had excitotoxic issues several times from Glutamine, Cabbage juice, and once from Methyl B12. Even once from too many probiotics.
For me these reactions take a very long time to clear, and it would be nice to be sure exactly what is going on.

Regards.
Viking

I don't know how to test glutamate levels; however, I have found that resveratrol and calcium pyruvate are very effective glutamate scavengers. I've been dealing with severe insomnia since a lorazepam taper and am finally getting some decent sleep since I've added in resveratrol and calcium pyruvate. I think they could help your excitotoxic reactions to clear more quickly. Also vitamin C can help, as well as magnesium.

Regards.
Viking
Great topic! Glutamine is very suspect on Glutamate Excitotoxicity, did it feel real good at first? Cabbage juice is possible but also could be what is known as Overmethylation or too many Methyl groups, I'm not sure why this Overmethylation excites, maybe too many electrical charges, wild guess. Methyl B12 I would lean towards Overmethylation and away from Glutamate.

I react to Glycine and Collagen very strongly in Excitotoxicity when my Glutamate is high but I have to take a good 200mg to kick it over or so, and even L-Theanine, but I start to feel that at about half that amount. Sounds like you are being cautious with things. I've heard Glutamic Acid is an indicator. Probiotics could be Glutamate. Many juices tend to be high Glutamate. Hope this helps.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Update to add that taking calcium pyruvate and resveratrol together is not a good idea for me. I was sleeping better but then ended up very tired and feeling drugged which took a couple of days to wear off. And then I tried resveratrol by itself and it made me tired, I think I will do better with just calcium pyruvate, am still experimenting. But we are all different - some people love resveratrol. But the most important thing is to only try one new thing at a time!

Many juices tend to be high Glutamate. Hope this helps.
I have been doing juicing for a while, its been a common theme during all of these reactions. Can you tell me more about juice and glutamate? I realize cabbage jucie would have a lot, would other green juices also? I do mixed greens, spinach, chard, lots of celery juice too.

Any comment at all on that would be welcome.

Thank you Mary, has anyone also tried Omega 3 as an anti - Excitotoxin?
DHA is known to be a Neuroprotective agent. I don't know if they have identified the exact mechanism though. What I think you are looking for is an antagonistic effect against Glutamate. From what I understand is that Calcium does agonize that but Pyruvate may in fact antagonize Glutamate. Hope I got that right.

I have been doing juicing for a while, its been a common theme during all of these reactions. Can you tell me more about juice and glutamate? I realize cabbage jucie would have a lot, would other green juices also? I do mixed greens, spinach, chard, lots of celery juice too.

Any comment at all on that would be welcome.
I think a lot of that is Commercially prepared juice additives. There may be something in the fermentation of those juices even when you make them if they are allowed to age that will build the same effect so drink it fresh and you will be ok. Also some types of fruits and veggies more than others.

I have to watch out on all fronts about Glutamate right now. I'm on a high state of alert after having to go checked out for coronary type SXs and I am strongly leaning towards Lactic Acidosis because of the type of Migraines that come along that have a burning type pain. I am connecting that to my Glutamate Issues. I think that the Lactic Acid may have been a trigger because for a few weeks I have had muscle pain issues w/o working out much.

Update to add that taking calcium pyruvate and resveratrol together is not a good idea for me. I was sleeping better but then ended up very tired and feeling drugged which took a couple of days to wear off. And then I tried resveratrol by itself and it made me tired, I think I will do better with just calcium pyruvate, am still experimenting. But we are all different - some people love resveratrol. But the most important thing is to only try one new thing at a time!

Mary I think we've all made mistakes and had to retrace our path. I get a little rushed for positive response is when this happens to me. Just thanks for coming out with this so we can continue to drop our terminal uniqueness and realize that we are all quite alike in so many ways, all of us! There is evidence that Resveratrol is known to work just as good at smaller amounts, others suggest that its positive benefits are overrated. It's one of those that you may have to go slow with.

I am very interested in how your Calcium Pyruvate goes and I plan on ordering some and will compare notes. For me I think Pyruvate may be my verifier for the Lactic Acid condition that I am trying to be conclusive on but at this stage I am way ahead of my doctor. I will share on that for sure also and probably start a thread on that also. Keep talkin supplements if they fail it only helps others when you share your experience and for me the last few days could really have saved my life.

Mary

Moderator Resource
DHA is known to be a Neuroprotective agent. I don't know if they have identified the exact mechanism though. What I think you are looking for is an antagonistic effect against Glutamate. From what I understand is that Calcium does agonize that but Pyruvate may in fact antagonize Glutamate. Hope I got that right.

I think you got it right ;) Yes, pyruvate is a glutamate scavenger. I was concerned about the calcium in calcium pyruvate, but Hip assured me that the amount of calcium in calcium pyruvate is not a problem for my purposes, roughly 6 parts pyruvate to one part calcium

Mary

Moderator Resource
Mary I think we've all made mistakes and had to retrace our path. I get a little rushed for positive response is when this happens to me. Just thanks for coming out with this so we can continue to drop our terminal uniqueness and realize that we are all quite alike in so many ways, all of us! There is evidence that Resveratrol is known to work just as good at smaller amounts, others suggest that its positive benefits are overrated. It's one of those that you may have to go slow with.

I am very interested in how your Calcium Pyruvate goes and I plan on ordering some and will compare notes. For me I think Pyruvate may be my verifier for the Lactic Acid condition that I am trying to be conclusive on but at this stage I am way ahead of my doctor. I will share on that for sure also and probably start a thread on that also. Keep talkin supplements if they fail it only helps others when you share your experience and for me the last few days could really have saved my life.

Thanks @gerard5! About 11 years ago, calcium pyruvate gave me a noticeable boost in energy, which lasted about 4 days .... At that time I was taking it during the day and had no idea it might be helpful for sleep. I don't know if it would have helped my sleep anyways at that time. Anyways, I hope it pans out for your lactic acid issue. Depending on what's going on, thiamine might be helpful - it has helped my energy some. Here's a study on thiamine reversing lactic acidosis: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3388689/

Do keep us posted how your calcium pyruvate experiment goes. Yeah, for each thing that helps me, there are 5 or more that don't -- but I have managed to find a few that I would not without now, so it's worth it to me. Yes, though it often feels that way, we not terminally unique! I have learned so much from this board - hopefully we can keep each other from having to re-invent the wheel! :thumbsup:

Aerowallah

Before I trialled more isolates that potentially caused more imbalances I would just check your glutamate levels. It's part of a simple spit test hormone panel. If you anticipate a high result then avoid high glutamate foods for awhile until the results come back. But once elevated it can take a while to come down.