• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Congress on the brink of repealing Obamacare

*GG*

Elaborate?

Isn't that 24 Million partly due to People being forced to have coverage? With the mandate gone, sure there will be some who Chosen Not to have coverage. Which I think you be able to do as an American!

I have "free" health care coverage, but am fine with that dissapearing, think I should have insurance soon. Still in the disability process, not sure what my costs will be?!

GG

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
it will never get through the Senate with the provisions it has
i don't agree but hopefully your correct. They may also adjust a few things, merge the bills then send to donald's desk, making it not quite as bad but close enough :(

IreneF

This could be disastrous for us. My husband is self-employed and I am too sick to work. We bought insurance thru the ACA exchange (Covered California)--$1900/mo for the two of us. That is already a lot of money, but we don't want to "choose to have no coverage."

Nearly all older people have pre-existing conditions.

In a few years I'll be eligible for Medicare, but Trump et al want to cut back on that, too.

Skippa

Anti-BS
Jeez if I already had ME or cancer or MS or something I'd still like to think a completely unrelated broken leg would be covered and patched up. Or complicated food poisoning, all unrelated.

Eta: the entire rest of the world fails to understand why guns are protected as a divine right and yet healthcare... meh

Last edited:

CCC

This could be disastrous for us. My husband is self-employed and I am too sick to work. We bought insurance thru the ACA exchange (Covered California)--$1900/mo for the two of us. That is already a lot of money, but we don't want to "choose to have no coverage."

In a few years I'll be eligible for Medicare, but Trump et al want to cut back on that, too.

$1900 each month? THUD.

HowToEscape?

If you are unable to work right now, you are eligible for Medicare/SSD...or you were before ACA.
The Medicare cutback you speak of happened several years ago: "Mysteriously", the acceptance of ME/CFS and similar disabilities by SSA for disability dropped off sharply about a year after ACA/Obamacare took effect. I was informed of this by one of the East Coast's best SSDI lawyers, who has been practicing for over 30 years.

It's no mystery though. The plan's chief architect said that it was deliberately written in an unreadably long, tortuous, bureaucratic form so that voters would not understand what it did. It was predicted that the massive $$$ drain caused by ACA would force many cuts elsewhere, and that happened.

I admit, with great shame, that I was one of those who thought about Obamacare "What a fine thing, someone cares about us!". That often works when one is below age 12, not so often as an adult. I plead the excuse of having this neuro-immune disease, with its consequent brain fog, and near-complete isolation. Of course, life cares nought for such excuses.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
$1900/month plus whatever the deductible is several times more than you can spend on MECFS, because there's almost no effective treatment, and what exists is experimental and not covered by insurance. Of course, some form of insurance for events such as cancer or getting hit by a car is good to have. Previously, you could get that for far less than $22,800/ year, but such plans were outlawed by ACA. You know what's right for you 1000x better than I do, but you might want to go over the numbers and see if the cost + deductible you're paying now is more than paying cash and negotiating a discount, then adding some sort of accident/hospital insurance. But if you are disabled from all work, you should be receiving Medicare and SSDI.

HowToEscape?

Elaborate?

Words found in politics or news media are shiny objects, meant to distract. It has been so since the first cave-man found that they could rule a handful by club, hundreds by charm. "Believe none of what you read and half of what you see" That was written 150 years ago; post Internet, change 'half' to 'almost none'.

Kenny Banya

Words found in politics or news media are shiny objects, meant to distract. It has been so since the first cave-man found that they could rule a handful by club, hundreds by charm. "Believe none of what you read and half of what you see" That was written 150 years ago; post Internet, change 'half' to 'almost none'.
And exclaiming 'fake news' & relying on non-evidenced based ideoblogs, is mentally lazy, also.

Gingergrrl

Awful implications for ME patients but...though it has passed the House, it will never get through the Senate with the provisions it has.

I am literally praying that you are right @Sushi and that this bill will be dead on arrival in the senate or myself and just about everyone I know will lose health coverage next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

TigerLilea

Jeez if I already had ME or cancer or MS or something I'd still like to think a completely unrelated broken leg would be covered and patched up. Or complicated food poisoning, all unrelated.

Eta: the entire rest of the world fails to understand why guns are protected as a divine right and yet healthcare... meh
The rest of the world fails to understand why the mentally ill won't be able to get healthcare coverage, yet they will now be allowed to own guns. :bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head:

dannybex

I am literally praying that you are right @Sushi and that this bill will be dead on arrival in the senate or myself and just about everyone I know will lose health coverage next year.
I agree with Sushi. This will never pass the Senate and become law. This passed the house by like one or two votes -- it barely made it. And when the public hears more about it, and the heartless nutjobs who voted for it hear from their constituents -- it'll be toast.

Kenny Banya

I agree with Sushi. This will never pass the Senate and become law. This passed the house by like one or two votes -- it barely made it. And when the public hears more about it, and the heartless nutjobs who voted for it hear from their constituents -- it'll be toast.

27 of the 33 *cant be named* who won their district by 14 points or less voted in favour, as did 14 of 23 in districts *the opposite side* won.

Not sure they care about their constituents.....

Kenny Banya

One thing I will say though - that millions of Americans didn't know that the Affordable Care Act is the same as Obamacare, well, you have to wonder how people navigate life....

Last edited: