• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

niacin flush

pamojja

We all have a different threshold for the niacin flush. I started to flush really strongly from about 175mg niacin. Usually one gets used to, and then it almost isn't perceptible again. Every time I increased an other 50mg the flush was strong again. Nowadays with about 3 g/d for many years I rarely feel anything from the flush.

ChrisD

I have completely unpredictable flushing, sometimes I can take 50mg and flush and then other times I can take 200mg a day and no flush at all. I think it depends to some extent on what you have eaten that day, if you have a need for niacin at that point or if you are essentially overwhelming the body, whether there is a lot of toxic buildup, whether you have done a lot of activity that day.... these are all the factors that seem to contribute to my flushing. However, the effects of Niacin have been fantastic for my CFS induced depression and also seem to support mitochondria somewhat, as expected.

Paralee

@ChrisD , think it has something to do with methylation, doesn't it?

I read once that if you can take 50 mg. regular niacin (I guess everyone has different ideas on how much to take) on an empty stomach and not flush for an hour you're a high methylator. I tried it and never felt it, much less flush.

But you read a lot and some people have different opinions. I don't know if that was correct or not. I have also had unpredictable flushing, thanks for your info. I'm glad it's helping you.

Forbin

Taking niacin was always like rolling dice for me. I could never tell if I would flush or not, or how severe the flush might be. It didn't seem to matter when I took it, morning, night, before or after meals. I finally gave up when the flushing was so bad that I started to feel faint.

In my case, my otologist's idea was to try use niacin to dilate the small blood vessels of the inner ear, to see if that improved my dizziness. It never did.

Eastman

Does flushing do something bad or is it just uncomfortable?

From WebMD:

What are the risks of taking niacin?
  • Side effects. Niacin can cause flushing -- harmless but uncomfortable redness and warmth in the face and neck -- especially when you first begin taking it. Your health care provider will probably suggest increasing the dose slowly to reduce this problem. He or she might also offer a time-release prescription formulation to control flushing. Niacin can cause upset stomach and diarrhea. However, all of these side effects tend to fade over time.

ok my whole head is burning like hell now besides the face. n my face not red. damn its burning

(edit) my whole body is burning n red, this is scary

nevermind now my face is a little red

k its over now lasted 1 hour

Last edited:

tinacarroll27

I would never take niacin again. I tried taking it about 20 years ago when I first got ME and it nearly killed me. I was having trouble breathing anyway (really bad air hunger) and I took the niacin and got a niacin flush and went bright red all over and my breathing got so bad I ended up in hospital. I felt as if I couldn't breath! The thought of it terrifies me. Never again!

Paralee

If the flush is too much or you just don't want to put up with it I've read that an aspirin or benedryl will get it to stop.

Paralee

@farshad , how much did you take and what kind? There's regular niacin, niacinamide and....can't remember the rest.

Never mind, I just saw your post. I really would start lower (25 or 50) and wait a day and try 25 more. LOL, I'm sorry you took so much at once.

I only take maybe 15 to do a supplement.

I deleted my "edit" because I'm just not sure what I was going to say was right.

Last edited:
well i took 500mg so if i take 500mg tommorow again will i get the same effect? or should i up it to 1000mg . i really dont mind the redness and burning . How long does it take to see improvements for social anxiety or depression? weeks? i just had the burning for like 1 hour and than it calmed down and i been normal rest of the day.

Paralee

@farshad, were you taking regular niacin? There's several kinds for sale, I think it's the regular niacin that you have to try out. (see my new edit, I realized I might have said something I'm not sure of so I deleted it).

You definitely should go lower, and on real niacin, not the treated kind. Like I said, I took 50, maybe one of these days I'll try more, but I'm not having the spacey symptoms as bad so maybe not.

I'm not sure how much, it's probably individual, but I wouldn't ramp it up that fast, but that's just me. Maybe someone will comment that knows more. Good luck.

Edit: I've read taking it at night keeps the down in the dumps feeling away, but you're trying to fix what? Overmethylation? Because if you under methylate (I think this is right) you may be taking it too far. I think it's the over methylators that can take a lot.

pamojja

well i took 500mg so if i take 500mg tommorow again will i get the same effect? or should i up it to 1000mg

Increase slowly, like not more than 50mg every few days.

How long does it take to see improvements for social anxiety or depression?

If it works you'll have to take continuously. So not any reason to hurry. Don't suffer anxiety or depression, so can't comment on that. But with the slow increase in dose you would know at what dose which effects to expect in future.