• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does Anyone Else have different BP in both arms?

belize44

I have noticed when taking blood pressure readings that my left and right arm readings can be as much as 20 points different; say if my left arm reading is 109/74, my right arm can be 132/79. Does anyone else get differing BP in both arms?

Butydoc

I have noticed when taking blood pressure readings that my left and right arm readings can be as much as 20 points different; say if my left arm reading is 109/74, my right arm can be 132/79. Does anyone else get differing BP in both arms?
This is generally a mechanical problem. It isn't normal and should be assessed by a physician, preferably a vascular surgeon. There are several diseases and congenital problems that could cause this disparity of blood pressure.

Best,
Gary

Countrygirl

I recall an interview with a doctor from my county on the BBC after he highlighted the importance of taking BP from both arms as, he said, a significant difference between both arms was even more indicative of a problem than a hypertensive reading from one alone.

Sounds as if you would be wise to get it checked out.

ryan31337

Agree with the above but also worth mentioning its not unusual to see BP drop 10-20 points on repeat readings, as you have been sitting longer and are calmer. Wouldn't apply to you of course if you aren't always measuring the same arm in the same order etc.

TrixieStix

Also be aware electric blood pressure monitora are usually designed to be used on one specific side of the body. For example mine says it is designed to be used on the left arm only.

belize44

Also be aware electric blood pressure monitora are usually designed to be used on one specific side of the body. For example mine says it is designed to be used on the left arm only.
Mine says it is for the left arm, but I still don't think it would give a false reading if I use it on the right arm.:confused:

TrixieStix

Mine says it is for the left arm, but I still don't think it would give a false reading if I use it on the right arm.:confused:
"The plumbing from the heart to the left arm is more direct than to the right arm, so in order to get truer numbers, the left arm is preferred. In instances where the left arm is injured, or a reading is otherwise impossible, then the right arm is used. The readings are normally a few points lower, but the difference is not very significant."

The arrow for where to center my cuff indicates that the artery used for the reading is a few centimeters to the right of it. If using it on the right arm, I need to center it a few centimeters to the right of where the artery should be. It does have a mark for the artery, and an arrow for centering it on the left arm, but I'd have to estimate a bit to use it on my right arm.