• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Distinguishing lymph nodes from muscle knots

bspg

Plant Queen
I'm wondering if anyone knows a definitive way to distinguish lymph nodes from muscle knots?

I have tender "lumps" along my jaw line that I believe to be lymph nodes but my doctor (who couldn't feel them) said they were likely muscle knots from clenching my jaw.

Does anyone have advice on how to tell the difference?

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I'm wondering if anyone knows a definitive way to distinguish lymph nodes from muscle knots?

I have tender "lumps" along my jaw line that I believe to be lymph nodes but my doctor (who couldn't feel them) said they were likely muscle knots from clenching my jaw.

Does anyone have advice on how to tell the difference?

Muscle knots can be massaged away, lymph nodes can't. Ask for a referral to physical therapy to get rid of the sore knots in your neck and lessons to keep you from clenching your jaw. Then go back to your doctor after you've been through physical therapy or the physical therapist writes a note to the doctor telling him/her that the "knots" are lymph nodes.