• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Higher sodium intake associated with lower blood pressure. You read that right. 4/25/17

*GG*

"In another blow against decades of accepted medical wisdom, one of the most prestigious, long-running studies reports that lowering sodium intake doesn’t reduce blood pressure.

The study also implies that most Americans are consuming a perfectly healthy amount of salt, the main source of sodium. But those who are salt-sensitive, about 20 to 25 percent of the population, still need to restrict salt intake.

Consuming fewer than 2,500 milligrams of sodium daily is actually associated with higher blood pressure, according to the Framingham Offspring Study report, given today. The American Heart Association recommends consuming no more than 2,300 milligrams of sodium daily, equal to a teaspoon of ordinary iodized table salt.

heart disease and stroke. Hence, lowering salt intake is supposed to lower blood pressure and thus reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke. But the study found that supposition to be unfounded.

Moreover, the lowest blood pressure was recorded by those who consumed 4,000 milligrams or more a day — amounts considered dangerously high by medical authorities such as the American Heart Association."

cont'd

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/biotech/sd-me-salt-diet-20170425-story.html

Last edited:

Skippa

Anti-BS
Another day, another "fact", another health reality, accepted truth, doctors talking with ABSOLUTE authority on a subject... turns out to be TOTAL BS.

Jeez, as always there's The Actual Truth and then there's The Collective "Fashionable" Truth. Health authority figures like to tell people to stay away, be wary of "health fads", don't get duped by modern trends, don't believe everything you read on the internet... now it turns out THEY need to not believe everything they read in so-called "respected" journals...

NelliePledge

Thanks for posting I have high BP well high diastolic anyway. I try not to have a lot of salt but I still regularly find that I crave salt.

flitza

"In another blow against decades of accepted medical wisdom, one of the most prestigious, long-running studies reports that lowering sodium intake doesn’t reduce blood pressure.

The study also implies that most Americans are consuming a perfectly healthy amount of salt, the main source of sodium. But those who are salt-sensitive, about 20 to 25 percent of the population, still need to restrict salt intake.

Consuming fewer than 2,500 milligrams of sodium daily is actually associated with higher blood pressure, according to the Framingham Offspring Study report, given today. The American Heart Association recommends consuming no more than 2,300 milligrams of sodium daily, equal to a teaspoon of ordinary iodized table salt.

heart disease and stroke. Hence, lowering salt intake is supposed to lower blood pressure and thus reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke. But the study found that supposition to be unfounded.

Moreover, the lowest blood pressure was recorded by those who consumed 4,000 milligrams or more a day — amounts considered dangerously high by medical authorities such as the American Heart Association."

cont'd

http://www.nhcannafest.com/2017/04/25/rick-naya-growing-a-movement-for-new-hampshire-cannabis/
Do you have a reference for this? Especially, the 4000 mg one. Thx

Crux

My BP will rise when I have too many substances that raise norepinephrine, like caffeine and some supplements.

Dan_USAAZ

This is very interesting. When I get my aldosterone tested, I have little to no sodium intake for about 30 hours prior to the test. During this time of low sodium intake, my blood pressure jumps into the unhealthy range. I had aldosterone tested again last week and my blood pressure went to 148/86. With my normal sodium intake, blood pressure is maybe around 118/76.
My doc was very confused by the jump in my blood pressure. I will send this information to her.

Barry53

I heard part of this programme ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08n2ltq

... last week whilst on my way to work. I seem to recall that Prof. Graham MacGregor said, when asked, that you could avoid the penalties of a high salt diet if you started a low salt diet whilst very young. I got the impression from this (but only an impression) that the effects on the body of a high salt diet may be irreversible. If so, then trials suggesting nothing changes when you reduce your salt intake, are not proving that excessive salt does no harm.

Esther12

Having only read the OP - surely an association here wouldn't reveal much, seeing as those with high blood pressure are also those most likely to have been avised to cut their intake of salt? Probably shouldn't comment without even looking at the study, but that was my first thought.

HowToEscape?

Another day, another "fact", another health reality, accepted truth, doctors talking with ABSOLUTE authority on a subject... turns out to be TOTAL BS.

Jeez, as always there's The Actual Truth and then there's The Collective "Fashionable" Truth. Health authority figures like to tell people to stay away, be wary of "health fads", don't get duped by modern trends, don't believe everything you read on the internet... now it turns out THEY need to not believe everything they read in so-called "respected" journals...

Try decaf.

Valentijn

Having only read the OP - surely an association here wouldn't reveal much, seeing as those with high blood pressure are also those most likely to have been avised to cut their intake of salt? Probably shouldn't comment without even looking at the study, but that was my first thought.
General advice for the public has been to cut salt, for decades now. They're still trying to reduce it in products in the Netherlands, and occasionally shaming bakers, among others, for supposedly not reducing it enough. I think most countries have a recommended maximal daily intake of salt, which is typically based on the assumption that salt effects everyone on a long term basis in the same way it affects people with hypertension on a short-term basis.

Last edited:

ryan31337

Good news for me I suppose - POTS cardiologist just told me I need to get my 24hr sodium excretion up to 170 from 110...I already have generous servings of salt with every meal & 3x measures of electrolyte powder each day :vomit:

valentinelynx

I can't recall the source of my info, but I have read (and thought it believable) that sodium intake is not as important as potassium intake. Thus, even if you consume large quantities of sodium, if you consume as much or more potassium, you will be fine. And low sodium intake is not recommended. Sorry I don't have energy to cite my sources at present. ;)