• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Chronic Fatigue vs Tiredness, Chronic and Invisible Illness on-line videos

Old Bones

This is the first I've seen of a video series available on themighty.com, embedded in the following article:

New Research Shows That Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Isn’t Just “All in Your Head”

https://futurism.com/new-research-shows-that-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-isnt-just-all-in-your-head/

Here's the video "Chronic Fatigue vs Tiredness":

The video that follows is titled "Being Sick vs Having a Chronic Illness".

And another -- "What Everyone Needs to Understand During Invisible Disability Week":

Last edited:

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
A usual pet peeve of mine.
In the second video 'Steve' is given an antibiotic Rx for his cold virus :bang-head:

How is it even possible to make this mistake. Antibiotics treat bacteria not viruses.
Using them for a cold puts literally everyone in danger when antibiotics become ineffective.

Someone else can comment on the fact that chronic fatigue not an illness. ;)

RogerBlack

Isn't Chronic Fatigue a similar name for a different illness? Why not use CFS?
'No'.
There is no disease called chronic fatigue.
Chronic fatigue is a symptom of many things, from cancer to renal failure to parkinsons to ...
It's a symptom, much like pain or diarrhoea.

Old Bones

Someone else can comment on the fact that chronic fatigue not an illness. ;)

There is no disease called chronic fatigue. Chronic fatigue is a symptom . . .

I agree with both of you. In fact, I often correct people who refer to my condition as CFS rather than ME, with the explanation that chronic fatigue is a symptom, not an illness. Nevertheless, I interpreted the three videos linked above as well-intentioned attempts to promote understanding and compassion for those with fatiguing, chronic and/or invisible illness who are routinely misjudged. Despite the inaccuracies (correctly identified above), I perceive the short video clips as more helpful than harmful.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I agree that they are well intentioned and meant to aid others in understanding poorly understood illness.

I think in the end I lean toward rather high standards for information dissemination because of all the misinformation out there.

While there are good points the chronic fatigue label is unfortunate. For me there is a difference between that and adding syndrome at the end. I don't use the cfs term but I understand when people do.

For me, rather than correcting people about the difference between tired and chronically fatigued it would be better to not be labelled as such and to highlight other things.

I really don't know what to make of the antibiotics bit that is really a tangental comment apart from the theme of the video. I'm baffled as to how anyone could not know that. And when I see this I keep wondering, are there Dr's doing this? What are they thinking.

In the end I guess as ME picks up more press there will be other such attempts to correct perceptions that I find don't quite hit the mark.
I think a gentle remarking on issues of importance will help build awareness for some of the future endeavours and help to focus on presenting material that is more accurate.

I really don't know what to make of the antibiotics bit that is really a tangental comment apart from the theme of the video. I'm baffled as to how anyone could not know that. And when I see this I keep wondering, are there Dr's doing this? What are they thinking.

The way I see things is you are more in tune with the nuances of medicine, bacteria, viruses, antibiotics, etc. Therefore, you understand the differences and relationships.

I could make a statement along the lines of, "I don't understand how anyone can refer to a substrate as 'cement' when it's concrete. How can anybody make this mistake? Cement is one of the ingredients of concrete. Concrete is made up of water, aggregate, and cement.". However, this isn't something which is common knowledge, it's only commonly known in the construction, structural engineering and architecture trades. ;)

The videos could have been made by someone who is chroniclly ill but who isn't as focused on the rest of the medical field. We each have our areas of interest as well as within chronic illness there's an exceptionally high amount of "brain fog" and cognitive debilitation which affects different people in different ways.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
But Dr's are prescribing these. How do they manage to not know?

I have no special knowledge. For me knowing this is like knowing that my car (if I had one) has an engine.
I might not know any more than that but knowing what an antibiotic is for me at that level.

Most people know what Insulin is used for even if not diabetic, or that aspirin is a blood thinner.

If it's true that most people don't know this then certainly there is some need for urgent education there.

And sorry I know this is now off topic.