• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Truth About Healthy Eating

Mij

Anyone watch this?

I watched this film the other night and was not too surprised with the findings. It debunks all the marketing hype behind supplements and health foods. I've known a few people who ate bread and butter most of their lives and they lived up into their 90's.

The part I found most interesting was the segment concerning antioxidants (starting at 27:45 minutes). Just wow. I think I'm going to be saving a little more of my money :)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4ktvdy

keenly

Anyone watch this?

I watched this film the other night and was not too surprised with the findings. It debunks all the marketing hype behind supplements and health foods. I've known a few people who ate bread and butter most of their lives and they lived up into their 90's.

The part I found most interesting was the segment concerning antioxidants (starting at 27:45 minutes). Just wow. I think I'm going to be saving a little more of my money :)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4ktvdy
Pharma shills want sick people.

There seems to be a lot of hype about 'healthy eating', and it's hard to know what's best, but I reckon it's worth trying to eat some fruit and veg and avoiding too much sugar. Other than that, I'm too lazy to keep up with all the varying advice. Butter is delicious though.

Jigsaw

I don't see what the great mystery is about "healthy eating".

Stick to unprocessed foods, eat as much organic as poss, eat raw fruit and veg if preferred, cook all else from scratch, avoid tap water.......works for me.

Oh, and so does ignoring the "advice" about avoiding eggs, butter, fat in general, full cream milk, salt, whatever the latest fad-scare is.

Jigsaw

Rapeseed is as big a con as insisting that fluoride is a healthy addition to water "for your teeth".

Baloney.

Another reason to make everything yourself, if you can (or get someone else to do it for you, my greatly preferred method due to fatigue and muscle spasms whenever I have the audacity to get out of bed) - there are now apparently almost no condiments without rapeseed in. Check your labels.

How did THAT happen? A few years ago it was common knowledge that rapeseed is toxic. Who paid off who do you think?

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

I don't see what the great mystery is about "healthy eating".

Stick to unprocessed foods, eat as much organic as poss, eat raw fruit and veg if preferred, cook all else from scratch, avoid tap water.......works for me.

Oh, and so does ignoring the "advice" about avoiding eggs, butter, fat in general, full cream milk, salt, whatever the latest fad-scare is.
That is how I eat, unfortunately healthy food is toxic to me (not to mention industrialized stuff) :confused: I am looking into taking phenol enzymes based on the good effects I got from anti-glycation supplement (to unbound carbohydrate from phenols)

this attitude that all food processors are on the con is just not my experience in the uk. Yes there is a notable Irish branded company that one should avoid who definitely are adulterating food and some dodgy big American brands where standards are less strict than in Europe, but most food consumed in the UK is own label with no such concerns. most of the suppliers in the uk as a result are small to medium sized and specifications are very tightly regulated against legislation. The technical standards to supply an own label for a big 5 retailer is exedingly high.

Best bet is to never read the daily mail on food issues. I understand that it's nice to make sweeping statements for effect but most food producers are reputable and are too busy making things to orders and specification to worry about aldulterating anybody's food or using all these supposed bad additives which are more heavily legislated for than a lot of drugs.

I would worry more about the cupboards of supplements we all seem to have. Regulation here is far less strict from what I can see.

Just be really careful of E300. I hear that this can be toxic at certain levels.

Mij

I felt great when I was eating pizzas and staying out until 1 a.m (granted I was younger at that time), it was when I started eating healthy that my health went down the chute.

I still eat healthy though because the food just tastes better. I'll die when my time is up.

Effi

it was when I started eating healthy that my health went down the chute.
We were talking about that in a different thread: we start eating healthy cause our health is already going downhill. No amount of healthy food is going to stop that downhill slope I think. Or at least it didn't for me. My diet was squeaky clean. (It still is, because that's what I feel best on, but it's not turning out to be a cure. More like a stabilizer? Which is pretty valuable too I guess.)

Sing

Dr. David Bell who studied his patients with ME/CFS over many years, 25 years I think, found there was no difference in how they did based on diet. His patients had varied from the most particular, health food consumers to those who ate junk.

Writing this now, I am not sure if he meant that there was no difference only in the area of their ME/CFS symptoms, or, if he meant their overall well being. If that makes sense--

What he found instead is that those who were doing a good job pacing themselves according to their energy, functioned better, more normally, than those who weren't. In fact some who had learned to pace themselves very well considered themselves "recovered", but he did not see this as accurate. Improvement came from pacing but not recovery.

However, it only makes sense to follow a diet that you individually feel better on. Some have more tolerance for carbohydrates than others. Some have specific food sensitivities with intestinal distress, diarrhea, hives or other symptoms following certain foods. But there are also people here who don't have particular food sensitivities and who can eat carbs ok. Some people can eat items that can be found in convenience stores or even glow in the dark!

Finding a diet that works well for you as an individual--minus all the hype, advice, promotion, fads and fashions--is what matters. Part of this is discovering how much to eat and when. Timing and amounts can sometimes matter a lot more than what the particular food is.

But from what Dr. Bell found--and he was apparently hoping it would be otherwise--the type of diet a person follows is not, in and of itself, going to improve or lessen their ME/CFS.

Dr. Bell is currently on OMI's Scientific Advisory Board, so it would be possible to get a more specific statement from him.

Last edited:

Jigsaw

Yes there is a notable Irish branded company that one should avoid who definitely are adulterating food and some dodgy big American brands where standards are less strict than in Europe, but most food consumed in the UK is own label with no such concerns. most of the suppliers in the uk as a result are small to medium sized and specifications are very tightly regulated against legislation. The technical standards to supply an own label for a big 5 retailer is exedingly high.

Best bet is to never read the daily mail on food issues. I understand that it's nice to make sweeping statements for effect but most food producers are reputable and are too busy making things to orders and specification to worry about aldulterating anybody's food or using all these supposed bad additives which are more heavily legislated for than a lot of drugs.

I would worry more about the cupboards of supplements we all seem to have. Regulation here is far less strict from what I can see.

Just be really careful of E300. I hear that this can be toxic at certain levels.
this attitude that all food processors are on the con is just not my experience in the uk.
Who said they were? Did I miss something?

From my POV, processed food is full of things my system finds toxic. Processed food, and tap water, makes me ill. I haven't got much choice in it.

Who said they were? Did I miss something?

From my POV, processed food is full of things my system finds toxic. Processed food, and tap water, makes me ill. I haven't got much choice in it.
Just a general comment....mainly about generic processed food is bad ......having said that I mostly eat Wholefoods myself ;)

Jigsaw

Just a general comment....mainly about generic processed food is bad ......having said that I mostly eat Wholefoods myself ;)
Whether a food is "good" or "bad" largely depends on how it affects me.

If it gives me a headache, makes me nauseous, sends me to groggy sleep, gives me puffy eyes, etc, I don't care if it's supposed to be the healthiest superfood on the planet, I'm not going to eat it.

Having said that, I'm surprised you aren't more cautious when it comes to processed foods. Do you not suffer from any chemical or food and drink sensitivities? I don't care how tightly regulated processed foods are, they are still full of pesticides, herbicides, hormones, preservatives, etc.

Value chicken and beef are chock-full of oestrogen, which is a major no-no for me because of the oestrogen breast cancer.

Whilst breast cancer may apply less to you than me, oestrogen drives prostate cancer, too.

Last edited: