• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Remedies: autonomic dysfunction : will try anything for healing process

Kenjie

Coq10, l-carnitine, crataegus(Hawthorne), magnesium, fish oil, alpha lipoic acid...

Has anyone had success with any of these with minimising symptoms? What other remedies have you tried?

I'm looking into trying any of these things.. Haven't yet.. I have read that alpha lipoic acid can help heal damaged nerves.. But I keep on researching to see what information I can find.. Which is where PR is useful as you and I can help educate each other... I am a head like a bull.. Not one to give up so easily on a good cause I believe in.. And in this case its our health..

What remedies have worked for you? Has anyone recovered with any remedies and what were they?

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Hi @Kenjie

It might be helpful for those who might want to respond to say what it is you are hoping to recover from.
What symptoms are you hoping to affect with a treatment?

kangaSue

It's not quite what you're asking about but have you had any clinical autonomic function tests to see if you have sudomotor dysfunction (abnormal sweat response which can involve having hot flushes) or cardiovagal dysfunction?

Your symptoms can indicate an issue with autonomic function. A rough guide to start with to check cardiac function is the Poor Man's Tilt Table test which you can do at home with a b.p. monitor;
http://www.oiresource.com/oitest.htm

A full autonomic work-up should include QSART and TST tests for sweat abnormalities and Tilt Table Test, Heart Rate Variability to Deep Breathing and Valsalva Manoeuvre for cardiac function.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...rove-their-ans-is-not-working-properly.50703/

Kenjie

It's not quite what you're asking about but have you had any clinical autonomic function tests to see if you have sudomotor dysfunction (abnormal sweat response which can involve having hot flushes) or cardiovagal dysfunction?

Your symptoms can indicate an issue with autonomic function. A rough guide to start with to check cardiac function is the Poor Man's Tilt Table test which you can do at home with a b.p. monitor;
http://www.oiresource.com/oitest.htm

A full autonomic work-up should include QSART and TST tests for sweat abnormalities and Tilt Table Test, Heart Rate Variability to Deep Breathing and Valsalva Manoeuvre for cardiac function.
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...rove-their-ans-is-not-working-properly.50703/

None of these.. I've not seen a cardiologist yet but I am now trying to get a referral. Don't want to waste more time and money on doctors who don't do the more extensive testing.

Have you had any of these tests?

Kenjie

Oh and @kangaSue only my hands sweat ... one time I had sweaty feet but that hasn't occurred again. Still get sweaty hands though... oh and my face flushed red last night feeling hot... usually the hot feeling is in my upper middle back and across shoulders although last night momentarily shifted up to my face for a bit then back down again.

I'm definitely learning alot from my Google research as well as from these forums. I definitely want answers. So frustrating waiting and not knowing. Almost like playing Russian Roulette with our health.

kangaSue

Have you had any of these tests?
Yes, all of them. All were abnormal to some degree and it came back that I have Restricted Autonomic Neuropathy.

I only sweated on the end of my big toes after 1 hour sitting in the heated room at 40 degrees but I have a lot of hot flush-like sweats at times, often at night and more so when the weather is cold, well cool here in Brisbane.

Kenjie

Yes, all of them. All were abnormal to some degree and it came back that I have Restricted Autonomic Neuropathy.

I only sweated on the end of my big toes after 1 hour sitting in the heated room at 40 degrees but I have a lot of hot flush-like sweats at times, often at night and more so when the weather is cold, well cool here in Brisbane.

Mine started as daytime hot flushes which still occur but now not as often as at night. .. lately the past week happening every night... but last few nights learnt to ignore and go back to sleep.. cos if I drink water to cool off I'll be up all night to loo. I usually get up naturally once a night for loo have a sip or two of water then back to bed.

What do you mean by restricted?

kangaSue

Mine started as daytime hot flushes which still occur but now not as often as at night. .. lately the past week happening every night... but last few nights learnt to ignore and go back to sleep.. cos if I drink water to cool off I'll be up all night to loo. I usually get up naturally once a night for loo have a sip or two of water then back to bed.

What do you mean by restricted?
Good question and to tell you the truth I've never questioned that. I just take it to mean that it is not as severe as some get it. I'll look into it and get back to you.

kangaSue

Good question and to tell you the truth I've never questioned that. I just take it to mean that it is not as severe as some get it. I'll look into it and get back to you.
The way it reads in the medical literature, it looks like "Autonomic Neuropathy" and "Restricted (or Limited) Autonomic Neuropathy" are interchangeable terms. The restricted form appears to be the most commonly diagnosed type and simply means it's confined to just some body systems, i.e. it could be just the lower extremities or the GI tract as opposed to panautonomic dysfunction. Restricted Autonomic Neuropathy is the most common form that people with POTS have.

After being diagnosed, I was more concerned with finding out whether it was idiopathic or autoimmune.That's still not definitively resolved because some autoimmune conditions can be seronegative but the antibody testing I have had done found no positive results that were considered “above normal”.

sharks

Coq10, l-carnitine, crataegus(Hawthorne), magnesium, fish oil, alpha lipoic acid...

Has anyone had success with any of these with minimising symptoms? What other remedies have you tried?

I'm looking into trying any of these things.. Haven't yet.. I have read that alpha lipoic acid can help heal damaged nerves.. But I keep on researching to see what information I can find.. Which is where PR is useful as you and I can help educate each other... I am a head like a bull.. Not one to give up so easily on a good cause I believe in.. And in this case its our health..

What remedies have worked for you? Has anyone recovered with any remedies and what were they?
Since this activated my EBV I was taking famvir for a while. Since this involves the nerve system. I am doing acupuncture. Which has an effect of the nervous system. It has helped me get more sleep. Also getting my minerals checked. And I am now taking calcium and iron suppliments