• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mixing metroprolol, levothyroxine and melatonin... Good or bad idea?

Kenjie

I take all these.. Although melatonin only last 2 nights to get my sleep back on track after 3 nighys trouble sleeping due to hot flashes and constant peeing.

But today I'm a bit anxious or on the edge of it and feeling slightly unsteady again when walking.

Been on levo for 5 yes. Metroprolol 2-3 weeks with increase on dosage a week or so ago.

Just wondered if this mix can mess with hormones...

deleder2k

I couldn't find any interactions. If you experience side effects from the medicines you take I think you should talk to your doctor.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Wouldn't your Dr or pharmacist/chemist be best able to advise since they are ones prescribing/filling your Rx?

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I will bet money levothyroxine and melatonin are not going to interfere with each other because both are found in normal people and there are no problems. That said 1mg of melatonin is what a normal brain produces so more then that is possible to interact though unlikely but more important has little extra effect in most cases and is just a waste of money.
The metoprolol (beta blocker) i don't know, it should be fine interaction wise because again normal people who have normal thyroid and melatonin function can take it without interference, but its possible the drug is not agreeing with you rather then an interaction with the first two.

If you have an arrhythmia or have had a heart attack or other coronary issues which is why your on the beta blocker then thats probably the direction to look into

Kenjie

I will bet money levothyroxine and melatonin are not going to interfere with each other because both are found in normal people and there are no problems. That said 1mg of melatonin is what a normal brain produces so more then that is possible to interact though unlikely but more important has little extra effect in most cases and is just a waste of money.
The metoprolol (beta blocker) i don't know, it should be fine interaction wise because again normal people who have normal thyroid and melatonin function can take it without interference, but its possible the drug is not agreeing with you rather then an interaction with the first two.

If you have an arrhythmia or have had a heart attack or other coronary issues which is why your on the beta blocker then thats probably the direction to look into

I've been put on the beta blocker to improve my symptoms but this is without an official diagnosis. Doctors haven't been able to tell me anything for certain. New doctor says he gave me the beta blocker for my symptoms including lowering my BPM.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Some people don't do well taking supplemental melatonin, it plays with the body clock and when taken at the wrong time (the wrong phase) people sometimes get symptoms from nightmares to insomnia to possibly hot flashes. Not to say the melatonin is harmful but it can take some tinkering to get it right and some people find it just doesn't work out for them.

The beta blocker is a another kettle of fish, what symptoms are they giving to you for, if its for for ME/CFS then i don't think it will help and may cause problems, though other members who have tried it may have different opinions.

Making two changes at once makes it harder to pin down the cause of problems since it could be either one. I still think its unlikely to be a mixing them problem, but perhaps worth stopping the melatonin and see what happens. If symptoms still there stop the beta blocker (advise doctor on this one).

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Beta blockers will ruin your sleep if the dose is high enough because they reduce your body's production of melatonin.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10335905
These findings indicate that beta-blockers decrease melatonin release via specific inhibition of adrenergic beta1-receptors. Since lower nocturnal melatonin levels might be the reason for sleep disturbances, further clinical studies should investigate whether or not oral administration of melatonin might avoid this well-known side-effect of beta-blockers. The reason why (R,S)-carvedilol does not influence melatonin production remains to be determined.

Carvedilol will not reduce production of melatonin but it might make you too drowsy during the day since it has to be taken twice a day in order to be effective. I've taken atenolol, metoprolol and carvedilol so I can also tell you this from experience.

I tried to find information about the interaction between melatonin and the thyroid gland. It was mixed. I think this answer from WebMD, not written by someone who is an MD, might be helpful:
http://answers.webmd.com/answers/50...plements-work-on-patients-with-hypothyroidism

I think the best thing to do would be to ask an endocrinologist their opinion about taking melatonin.

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
I take all these.. Although melatonin only last 2 nights to get my sleep back on track after 3 nighys trouble sleeping due to hot flashes and constant peeing.

But today I'm a bit anxious or on the edge of it and feeling slightly unsteady again when walking.

Been on levo for 5 yes. Metroprolol 2-3 weeks with increase on dosage a week or so ago.

Just wondered if this mix can mess with hormones...

Before doing anything to your brain, I would check your Melatonin levels via tests.

I checked mine and they are normal, and I can barely sleep.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Here's information specific to the effect of metoprolol on melatonin:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3291558
In two studies of hypertensive patients the relationship between beta-blocker-induced CNS side-effects and the nightly urinary secretion of melatonin was analysed. In one group (n = 10) placebo, atenolol (mean dose 86 mg/day) or propranolol (mean dose 305 mg/day) were given in a double-blind, randomised design. In the other (n = 13) 100-400 mg metoprolol was given daily (mean dose 197 mg). After 4 weeks of treatment all beta-blockers reduced melatonin excretion, but the effect was significant only for metoprolol. Sleep disturbance records revealed more disturbed nights in the metoprolol group compared with the propranolol and the atenolol groups, even when the difference in age between the groups was controlled for. In the metoprolol group a significant relationship (p less than 0.05) was found between the fall in melatonin and the percentage of disturbed nights. Severe CNS side-effects, such as nightmares, occurred only in patients treated with metoprolol (21%), which in all cases were accompanied by low levels of melatonin. Our data suggest that the CNS side-effects during beta-blockade are related to a reduction of melatonin levels.