• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wake up hot flashes.. Drink water to cool off then can't stop peeing all night!

Kenjie

Does anyone else experience constant toilet trips? How do you get it under control?

Doesn't happen all the time but once in a while my bladder has phases of it.. This time has been last three nights.. Wake up hot.. Drink water to cool down.. Then can't go back to sleep cos bladder has other ideas... I'm averaging 2 hours sleep a night last 3 nights waking at 2am or just before..

flitza

Does anyone else experience constant toilet trips? How do you get it under control?

Doesn't happen all the time but once in a while my bladder has phases of it.. This time has been last three nights.. Wake up hot.. Drink water to cool down.. Then can't go back to sleep cos bladder has other ideas... I'm averaging 2 hours sleep a night last 3 nights waking at 2am or just before..
I get nocturia even when I try to limit my evening fluid intake. Thankfully not every night. I thought it might be an irritable bladder thing. Have to be pretty sure it's not an infection.
Took a mini(!) dose of Elavil (1.25mg) that helped but may have made me anxious and depressed in the AM. :/

Kenjie

I get nocturia even when I try to limit my evening fluid intake. Thankfully not every night. I thought it might be an irritable bladder thing. Have to be pretty sure it's not an infection.
Took a mini(!) dose of Elavil (1.25mg) that helped but may have made me anxious and depressed in the AM. :/

What is best way to cool off? So far I. Having the longest hot flash and i cant vool off.. Need help. Am on metroprolok but feel like thats not doing anything fir the flashes.. Still peeing frequently today too.

flitza

What is best way to cool off? So far I. Having the longest hot flash and i cant vool off.. Need help. Am on metroprolok but feel like thats not doing anything fir the flashes.. Still peeing frequently today too.
I don't have any great advice for the 'hot flashes'. I get warm and sweaty toward morning, sort of an autonomic dysfunction thing I think, I have taken Propranolol 10 mg prophylactically an hour or two before and it might help a little.

Kenjie

I don't have any great advice for the 'hot flashes'. I get warm and sweaty toward morning, sort of an autonomic dysfunction thing I think, I have taken Propranolol 10 mg prophylactically an hour or two before and it might help a little.

My flashes went away for a couple weeks but have come back again last 3 nights I've woken at 2am difficulty getting back to sleep. Its very uncomfortable.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
An inclined bed can help to reduce nocturia. It helps by altering blood circulation so that less water enters the bladder at night. I have the head of my bed elevated by 6 inches and now I rarely have to get up during the night. I also sleep better in general.

Methylfolate (at least 1600mcg), and an electrolyte drink mix (Ultima Replenisher) also help to reduce my urge to urinate (although I still urinate very frequently.)

For hot flashes and night sweats you can try 2-3 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in 8oz of water before bed (obviously this conflicts with the nocturia problem but it's worth a try.)

I have this note in my health clippings file:
"Black cohosh has been shown to reduce hot flashes, anxiety, insomnia, depression and heart palpitations associated with menopause. One large open study followed 629 menopausal women who supplemented 80 milligrams (mg) of black cohosh extract for six to eight weeks. Most women noticed a substantial improvement in their symptoms within four weeks. Other helpful herbs include vitex, licorice root, dong quai, wild yam, ginseng, motherwort and rehmania."

perchance dreamer

I sleep on a wedge, and it does reduce how much I have to go to the bathroom during the night and also helps me sleep better. Although I drink lots of water in the evening because I have to take a lot of supplements, I've been sleeping almost 7 hours before I have to use the bathroom, and usually, I can get a little more sleep after that. I've had some good sleep improvement lately from taking CBD oil 2 or 3 hours before bed.

I went all the way through menopause at age 44, which is young. I had an ovarian tumor (benign, thankfully) and had to have 1 ovary removed, which made me go through menopause early. When I started getting hot flashes, I immediately went on bioidentical hormones, which stopped the hot flashes. I get mine prescribed at an integrative medicine practice.

Kenjie

I sleep on a wedge, and it does reduce how much I have to go to the bathroom during the night and also helps me sleep better. Although I drink lots of water in the evening because I have to take a lot of supplements, I've been sleeping almost 7 hours before I have to use the bathroom, and usually, I can get a little more sleep after that. I've had some good sleep improvement lately from taking CBD oil 2 or 3 hours before bed.

I went all the way through menopause at age 44, which is young. I had an ovarian tumor (benign, thankfully) and had to have 1 ovary removed, which made me go through menopause early. When I started getting hot flashes, I immediately went on bioidentical hormones, which stopped the hot flashes. I get mine prescribed at an integrative medicine practice.

What is cbd oil?

perchance dreamer

@Kenjie, CBD oil is cannabinoid oil, legal everywhere in the U.S. It has only a trace of THC, so it doesn't get you high. My doctor recommended Plus CBD oil to me in the 10 MG dosage. Many people take higher amounts.

It does not help me with pain as it does for some people, but it helps me with sleep and my lower GI tract. Here's a link to the one I take. From googling, I see that CBD oil can help hot flashes, too, but I've never known anyone who took it for that purpose:

https://pluscbdoil.com/cbd-products/cbd-oil-capsules/pluscbd-oil-capsules/

Kenjie

@Kenjie, CBD oil is cannabinoid oil, legal everywhere in the U.S. It has only a trace of THC, so it doesn't get you high. My doctor recommended Plus CBD oil to me in the 10 MG dosage. Many people take higher amounts.

It does not help me with pain as it does for some people, but it helps me with sleep and my lower GI tract. Here's a link to the one I take. From googling, I see that CBD oil can help hot flashes, too, but I've never known anyone who took it for that purpose:

https://pluscbdoil.com/cbd-products/cbd-oil-capsules/pluscbd-oil-capsules/
Does it help with the anxiety spells that are associated with pots?

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
An ice pack may work (in a towel i find is not too cold), or turn down the heat before bed or if you have a programmable thermostat and it starts at a certain time drop the temperature then

Kenjie

An ice pack may work (in a towel i find is not too cold), or turn down the heat before bed or if you have a programmable thermostat and it starts at a certain time drop the temperature then

Sometimes not every time... But sometimes even the slightest movement makes me hot

Does it help with the anxiety spells that are associated with pots?
It's unlikely that POTS causes anxiety spells. Rather, it causes symptoms which overlap with anxiety, such as elevated heart rate, trouble breathing, etc, and accordingly gets described or misdiagnosed as anxiety by quacks.

Binkie4

I have a fan going all night, summer and winter, to regulate sensation of heat. Not menopausal ( far too old) so I just manage it with fan which has its own stand so breeze is at face height.
Also have a small handheld fan on bedside table for worst patches.

Last edited:

Kenjie

It's unlikely that POTS causes anxiety spells. Rather, it causes symptoms which overlap with anxiety, such as elevated heart rate, trouble breathing, etc, and accordingly gets described or misdiagnosed as anxiety by quacks.
The symptoms do freak me out... I have these attack type spells.. Starts as getting hot... Then a freak out almost not breathing and feel that horrid fear feeling coming on

Kenjie

I was
I have a fan going all night, summer and winter, to regulate sensation of heat. Very post menopausal so I just manage it with fan which has its own stand so breeze is at face height.
Also have a small handheld fan on bedside table for worst patches.

I woke a few times last night to hot flashes but this time managed to ignore it and go back to sleep.. Not always so simple though aye.

I still sleep laying flat and only today contemplating fan although i wouldn't be able to sleep with it going as I'm sensitive to any noise... But perhaps for use before and after sleep would be helpful

Binkie4

If I wake with elevated heart rate and feel panicky, I use deep breathing to calm myself.
I also use it in the day regularly for rest so now my body seems to respond and HR lowers. For me it's about only technique that works.

PS my fan is quiet. I have a stronger one but it is noisy. Perhaps try first.

Kenjie

If I wake with elevated heart rate and feel panicky, I use deep breathing to calm myself.
I also use it in the day regularly for rest so now my body seems to respond and HR lowers. For me it's about only technique that works.

PS my fan is quiet. I have a stronger one but it is noisy. Perhaps try first.

Today I've had that on the edge of anxiety feeling all day.. Bit like sitting on edge of seat even though I'm not anxious.. Freaky feeling in chest as if it could happen any moment... I just been doing best to relax and breath slow. My heart rate is apparently 56bpm right now.

Felt a bit hot going to town today too almost freaked out. Had to walk slow into the bank and try not to think about panick feeling and focus harder in what I was doing..

How do you do deep breathing exactly?