• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reduced Pro-Inflammatory Cytokines after 8 Wks of LDN for Fibro 4/2017 Luke Parkitny/Jarred Younger

Mohawk1995

Interesting discussion about the use of Low Dose Naltrexone and at least one of the mechanisms it impacts...Cytokines.

Naltrexone is a medication that has both strong Immune and Neurophysiological effects. "Regular Dose" Naltrexone is used to treat Opiate Dependency and Alcohol Withdrawal. Low Dose Naltrexone is given to provide these effects in smaller measure over a sustained period of time. It has a more systemic impact on improving the immune system, reducing the risk of Immune System Overactivation and in this article reducing the level of Cytokines in the blood stream.

Cytokines are inflamatory agents that scientist think are one of the primary causes of Brain Fog. Also depending on the type can influence pain responses.

"Administration of cytokines to animals can elicit many effects on the brain, particularly neuroendocrine and behavioral effects. Cytokine administration also alters neurotransmission, which may underlie these effects. The most well studied effect is the activation of the hypothalamo–pituitary–adrenocortical (HPA) axis, especially that by interleukin-1 (IL-1). Peripheral and central administration of IL-1 also induces norepinephrine (NE) release in the brain, most markedly in the hypothalamus." Dunn 2006

Could this translate to helping patients with ME? It is a drug with few side effects (first do no harm). Main contraindication is if taking Opiates (most ME patients can't tolerate them). Can be gradually ramped up to therapeutic dose (for those with medication sensitivity/intolerance issues).

So a drug with Neuro/immune effects that could impact the brain fog and autoimmune issues common to ME. Interesting.

shannah

I'd like to know why it backfires in some people and makes them worse.

I've asked the lab if they had an explanation for it but didn't receive an answer.

Helen

From my ME-doctor I learnt that LDN might work, or not, due to my genetics. I was also told to take it in the morning, to avoid insomnia. I started with 0.5 mg´s and increased the dose slowly over some months until 4.5 mg. If it hadn´t worked then, it shouldn´t work for me. There shouldn´t be any reason to increase the dose further according to his experience. FWIW.

Dr. Jeffrey Dach has written some good articles on LDN
http://jeffreydachmd.com/low-dose-naltrexone-ldn-part-one/
http://jeffreydachmd.com/low-dose-naltrexone-ldn-part-2/

me/cfs 27931

From my ME-doctor I learnt that LDN might work, or not, due to my genetics. I was also told to take it in the morning, to avoid insomnia. I started with 0.5 mg´s and increased the dose slowly over some months until 4.5 mg. If it hadn´t worked then, it shouldn´t work for me. There shouldn´t be any reason to increase the dose further according to his experience. FWIW.
At the Open Medicine Institute, I was started at 4.5mg per day and later gradually increased to 9mg. I've been on 9mg for about a year.

So I've never been on a dose of LDN less than 4.5mg.

I find LDN the most beneficial treatment I've found. Stumbling and breathing issues are no longer significantly limiting. Body and joint pain have never been an issue for me (except for a 5 year period ending 20 years ago).

Helen

At the Open Medicine Institute, I was started at 4.5mg per day and later gradually increased to 9mg. I've been on 9mg for about a year.

So I've never been on a dose of LDN less than 4.5mg.

I find LDN the most beneficial treatment I've found. Stumbling and breathing issues are no longer significantly limiting. Body and joint pain have never been an issue for me (except for a 5 year period ending 20 years ago).
Interesting to hear about quite another dosing and I´m glad to hear that it works so well for you. Your example may inspire to chose other dosages to get a better result.

me/cfs 27931

Interesting to hear about quite another dosing and I´m glad to hear that it works so well for you. Your example may inspire to chose other dosages to get a better result.
This 2010 study of MS patients also used 4.5mg.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ana.22006/abstract

Pilot trial of low-dose naltrexone and quality of life in multiple sclerosis

Objective
To evaluate the efficacy of 4.5mg nightly naltrexone on the quality of life of multiple sclerosis (MS) patients.

Methods
This single-center, double-masked, placebo-controlled, crossover study evaluated the efficacy of 8 weeks of treatment with 4.5mg nightly naltrexone (low-dose naltrexone, LDN) on self-reported quality of life of MS patients.

Results
Eighty subjects with clinically definite MS were enrolled, and 60 subjects completed the trial. Ten withdrew before completing the first trial period: 8 for personal reasons, 1 for a non–MS-related adverse event, and 1 for perceived benefit. Database management errors occurred in 4 other subjects, and quality of life surveys were incomplete in 6 subjects for unknown reasons. The high rate of subject dropout and data management errors substantially reduced the trial's statistical power. LDN was well tolerated, and serious adverse events did not occur. LDN was associated with significant improvement on the following mental health quality of life measures: a 3.3-point improvement on the Mental Component Summary score of the Short Form-36 General Health Survey (p = 0.04), a 6-point improvement on the Mental Health Inventory (p < 0.01), a 1.6-point improvement on the Pain Effects Scale (p =.04), and a 2.4-point improvement on the Perceived Deficits Questionnaire (p = 0.05).

Interpretation
LDN significantly improved mental health quality of life indices. Further studies with LDN in MS are warranted. ANN NEUROL 20
(note: I had to use the Firefox browser to get this link to display properly).