• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is there a general test for detection of infection?

Leopardtail

No there isn't. There is a test for proteins in the blood that can indicate bacterial infection. Even that may be unreliable in our case since there is (limited) research showing that our bodies produces a sub-normal response. To be at all certain doctors need to know what they are looking for.

Gondwanaland

Last year when my husband had pneumonia his RCP went up to 35.0, whereas the normal level is up to 1.0. He also had a sudden increase in ferritin.

Peyt

No there isn't. There is a test for proteins in the blood that can indicate bacterial infection. Even that may be unreliable in our case since there is (limited) research showing that our bodies produces a sub-normal response. To be at all certain doctors need to know what they are looking for.

Okay, how about a test that can pin point any upper respiratory infection? Especially something that has been there for a life time... Not interested in tests for stuff the people get for a couple of weeks ... This infection has been in the body since childhood.. It does not have fever with it. Just green or bloody mucus and sinus infection along with Chronic Fatigue as if the body is fighting a weak virus or bacteria.

Cheesus

Okay, how about a test that can pin point any upper respiratory infection? Especially something that has been there for a life time... Not interested in tests for stuff the people get for a couple of weeks ... This infection has been in the body since childhood.. It does not have fever with it. Just green or bloody mucus and sinus infection along with Chronic Fatigue as if the body is fighting a weak virus or bacteria.

Shotgun metagenomics is a hypothesis free method of identifying microbes in any given sample. It can even identify microbes that are hitherto unknown to science. However, it is not necessarily easy to identify a causal connection between a microbial population in a sample and a disease state, because you would expect most samples to have a variety of microbes - particularly in the respiratory tract. Moreover, you must actually capture the microbe in the sample, which is not a difficulty faced by other techniques.

So yes, it is possible, but it is not straightforward.

Mel9

Hi,
Is there a general test that can show that the body is fighting an infection?
It does not need to detect the specific virus or bacteria just show the body is fighting an infection..
Thanks so much,

I wish there was. How about 'response to antibiotics' for bacterial infections?

I.e. If you feel better on taking antibiotics you are likely to be suffering an infection

Peyt

Shotgun metagenomics is a hypothesis free method of identifying microbes in any given sample. It can even identify microbes that are hitherto unknown to science. However, it is not necessarily easy to identify a causal connection between a microbial population in a sample and a disease state, because you would expect most samples to have a variety of microbes - particularly in the respiratory tract. Moreover, you must actually capture the microbe in the sample, which is not a difficulty faced by other techniques.

So yes, it is possible, but it is not straightforward.
This could be interesting,
How can I get this test done? Is this something my Doctor has to agree to do or can I buy it online without a Doctor prescription?

Cheesus

This could be interesting,
How can I get this test done? Is this something my Doctor has to agree to do or can I buy it online without a Doctor prescription?

So far I have only found one lab that offers it commercially, which is Aperiomics. You would need to ask your doctor to order it from them. There is a good chance you would have to educate your doctor as to what it is, as the technology has not made the leap from research to clinical practice yet.