• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Tegan Martin reveals how she works out with chronic fatigue"

Aurator

The title pretty much tells us what we're dealing with in this latest irresponsible offering from the rag we all love to hate.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-Martin-reveals-workouts-chronic-fatigue.html

"'if I do a 60 minute high intensity workout, I'm exhausted all day."'

'She said she also likes hot yoga and to go for walks outside and likes to do a day of weight training.'

'Tegan revealed her battle with chronic fatigue and anxiety, while competing on I'm A Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!'

The inevitable comments follow:

"Ahhh, these 20-somethings with chronic fatigue. I wonder whether they will look back in embarrassment when they have three children, a full time job, bills to pay, and are REALLY tired?"

"Try being a 18 hr shift trauma nurse in an emergency ward".

HowToEscape?

Hm. Perhaps there's a patient and Personna pool ( that was spellcheck's version of personable : .) representative of us folks can contact her and gently advised that chronic fatigue is not the phrase to use?

It was an amazingly bad choice of descriptor for us, but until we can all rally around a replacement and get it to stick these semantic weasel words keeps springing up.

Dechi

I haven't read the article, but if she's talking about chronic fatigue, I don't see what other words she could use. Chronic fatigue does exist. You can be chronically fatigued from having a hectic life and not resting enough. It's not an illness or a medical condition. It happens to many, many people.

It's unfortunate that ME is still called " chronic fatigue syndrome " and there is a big controversy about it, but we don't have the ownership of the words " chronic fatigue " and in fact, we're trying to distance ourselves from it.

As far as I am concerned, she can say she's chronicallt fatigued as much as she wants. I have ME, it doesn't tickle me.

Aurator

I haven't read the article, but if she's talking about chronic fatigue, I don't see what other words she could use. Chronic fatigue does exist. You can be chronically fatigued from having a hectic life and not resting enough. It's not an illness or a medical condition. It happens to many, many people.

It's unfortunate that ME is still called " chronic fatigue syndrome " and there is a big controversy about it, but we don't have the ownership of the words " chronic fatigue " and in fact, we're trying to distance ourselves from it.

As far as I am concerned, she can say she's chronicallt fatigued as much as she wants. I have ME, it doesn't tickle me.
That's fine fighting talk. Whether most readers will make the distinction is another matter. I think we know the answer.
It's not an illness or a medical condition.
Except that the article explicitly refers to it as a "condition".

Dechi

I read the article and I don't think people who read this kind of crap news even know there is a disease called " chronic fatigue syndrome "... Seriously, who reads these kind of magazines ?

HowToEscape?

Hm. Perhaps there's a patient and Personna pool ( that was spellcheck's version of personable : .) representative of us folks can contact her and gently advised that chronic fatigue is not the phrase to use?

It was an amazingly bad choice of descriptor for us, but until we can all rally around a replacement and get it to stick these semantic weasel words keeps springing up.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit

While it may not completely be an accurately descripor for this disease ME is the reasonable choice until the disease is more fully understood.
It has the advantage of disassociating from the chronic fatigue group which in my view is really needed, since there are real consequences for some people when all around them think they have CF and ME is the same thing.

I read the article and I don't think people who read this kind of crap news even know there is a disease called " chronic fatigue syndrome "... Seriously, who reads these kind of magazines ?
sadly "
NRS readership figures: Daily Mail/Mail Online grows UK monthly audience to 29m"

Sounds like it might have been a metabolic burn out, due to her admitted (albeit vague) unhealthy eating to stay skinny for the pageants. Fatigue, hypotension, insomnia, and dizziness are symptoms of anorexia, so certainly could get misdiagnosed as CF or CFS by an incompetent doctor.

And she has an obvious need to be in front of the cameras, so I expect we'll continue to hear about her "chronic fatigue" until she finds something else to get attention for again.

I'm actually pleased that it's only referred to as chronic fatigue in the article. Most readers won't understand the difference between CF and CFS, but at least the site isn't contributing that confusion with this article. Maybe they're starting to learn.

HowToEscape?

If she is working out for an hour at a time, we can safely assume that she doesn't have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Well, some of us have had periods of remission where up to +/- an hour's work out was possible. The underlying disease was still there, and when it relapses the same people can't stand up in one spot for 3 minutes.
This is the disease where nothing makes sense by "commonsense" standards

I agree that this Daily Fail article is trash

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Tegan also said that they think Nia had the condition after doing the pageant as well.

So Tegan, now a chronic fatigue expert because she's had it, has diagnosed Nia, who agrees with her. If they have any other friends I reckon they'll all have diagnosed each other with it before long. They'll be able to swap tips about how to best manage it on their way to the gym together.

Anyway I found the article very helpful, and have decided to be a little more careful with my exercise regime as well. I'll also be phoning my agent to set up a photo shoot and a piece in any magazine that'll have it.