• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Detection of Urine Metabolites in a Rat Model of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome before and after Exercise

Kati

Patient in training
Detection of Urine Metabolites in a Rat Model of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome before and after Exercise

Shao C1, Ren Y2, Wang Z2, Kang C3, Jiang H1, Chi A2.
Author information
1.College of Arts and Sciences, Shanghai Maritime University, Shanghai 201306, China.
2.Laboratory of Nutrition and Hygiene, Shaanxi Normal University, Xi'an 710119, China.
3. School of Sports, Hebei Normal University, Shijiazhuang 050090, China.

Abstract
Purpose. The aim of the present study was to elucidate the metabolic mechanisms associated with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) via an analysis of urine metabolites prior to and following exercise in a rat model.

Methods.
A rat model of CFS was established using restraint-stress, forced exercise, and crowded and noisy environments over a period of 4 weeks.

Behavioral experiments were conducted in order to evaluate the model.

Urine metabolites were analyzed via gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) in combination with multivariate statistical analysis before and after exercise.

Results.
A total of 20 metabolites were detected in CFS rats before and after exercise.

Three metabolic pathways (TCA cycle; alanine, aspartate, and glutamate metabolism; steroid hormone biosynthesis) were significantly impacted before and after exercise, while sphingolipid metabolism alone exhibited significant alterations after exercise only.

Conclusion.
In addition to metabolic disturbances involving some energy substances, alterations in steroid hormone biosynthesis and sphingolipid metabolism were detected in CFS rats.

Sphingosine and 21-hydroxypregnenolone may be key biomarkers of CFS, potentially offering evidence in support of immune dysfunction and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis hypoactivity in patients with CFS.

Note: Bolding mine. Link to article: click title.

A.B.

Poor rats were tortured and this was labelled "CFS model".

I find it difficult to believe they could find the right abnormalities with a nonsensical CFS model.

I'm guessing that the researchers knew what they were supposed to find and got there somehow.

Last edited:

A.B.

They created a mouse model of overtraining syndrome, not CFS (and not even chronic fatigue).

For restraint-stress, rats were fixed individually in a polyvinyl chloride tube (20.0 cm in length, 5.0 cm in diameter) for 4 h.

For forced exercise, the rats were forced to run on a treadmill (20 m/min) for 1 h.

The 10 rats in the CFS group were housed together in a standard rearing cage (crowded environment), whereas those in the control group were housed in individual cages.

Rats of the CFS group were also exposed to rock music for 12 h each day (noisy environment).

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
For restraint-stress, rats were fixed individually in a polyvinyl chloride tube (20.0 cm in length, 5.0 cm in diameter) for 4 h.

For forced exercise, the rats were forced to run on a treadmill (20 m/min) for 1 h.

The 10 rats in the CFS group were housed together in a standard rearing cage (crowded environment), whereas those in the control group were housed in individual cages.

Rats of the CFS group were also exposed to rock music for 12 h each day (noisy environment).

Ugh. Sickening.. Without any good reason for that type of research, it shouldnt be allowed.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"

I am not sure that this is convincing if they did not give the rats questionnaires to see if they were tired all the time and found the music made them even more tired. The rats I know rather like living in PVC tubes (better than sewers) and love running about.

Do you think there is a computer programme that checks what US scientists have found and invents results the next day in China for submission to a journal of choice by lunchtime?

ash0787

Was going to say, since when was there examples of animals with CFS, I thought perhaps it was a computational model ... I guess the chinese really will copy anything

HowToEscape?

Ugh. Sickening.. Without any good reason for that type of research, it shouldnt be allowed.

Humans endure far, far harsher conditions. Have you ever been in in New York City subway car during rush hours? Now think of one without air conditioning. Navy SEALs are required to go five days without sleep during training.
Running and confined spaces are pretty normal things for rats, in any case.

This was a completely useless study, but let's not throw a hissy fit about research in general.

Last edited:

Marky90

Humans endure far, far harsher conditions. Have you ever been in in New York City subway car during rush hours? Now think of one without air conditioning. Navy SEALs are required to go five days without sleep during training.
Running and confined spaces are pretty normal things for rats, in any case.

This was a completely useless study, but let's not throw a hissy fit about research in general.

10 hours of rock music is not a normal environment, neither is the crowded cages. Your analogies does not fit very nicely. I would very much prefer being in a traffic jam (which you have other places than NYC fyi)

Cheesus

10 hours of rock music is not a normal environment, neither is the crowded cages. Your analogies does not fit very nicely. I would very much prefer being in a traffic jam (which you have other places than NYC fyi)

I agree. The rats were essentially subjected to torture.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits

For forced exercise, the rats were I was forced to run on a treadmill (20 m/min) for 1 h.

The 10 rats in the CFS group were I was housed together in a standard rearing cage (crowded environment), whereas those in the control group were housed in individual cages.

Rats of the CFS group were I was also exposed to rock music for 12 h each day (noisy environment).

Oh......so this is why I came down with ME/CFS. Standard college dormitory effect combined with running to classes on a large campus and daily competitive swimming practice, circa 1972-74 (came down with ME/CFS 1990). (No restraint stress involved.)

HowToEscape?

There's just a tad of difference between being packed into a subway car versus being in a traffic jam. You can't replicate the conditions of the subway car in a passenger car; to begin with it's illegal to put that density of people into an automobile, and you can't stand up while in one, as that's also illegal. Except perhaps in Texas.

In years past (USA) and now (numerous countries) they exist work environments with noise exposure greater than rock music.

Last edited:

Marky90

There's just a tad of difference between being packed into a subway car versus being in a traffic jam. You can't replicate the conditions of the subway car in a passenger car; to begin with it's illegal to put that density of people into an automobile, and you can't stand up while in one, as that's also illegal. Except perhaps in Texas.

In years past (USA) and now (numerous countries) they exist work environments with noise exposure greater than rock music.

Are u seriously gonna claim that a voluntary intermittent ride in a subway car equals being put in a crowded 20 cm cage against your "will", whilst being subjected to extremely loud continuous alien noise (from their point of view)? You dont spend 4 hours in a subway car, and rats cant use headphones.

During my time in the army i had to torture people under elite training, and I can tell you they would have it a 100 times better in the scenario ur describing.

Basilico

Florida
Methods. A rat model of CFS was established using restraint-stress, forced exercise, and crowded and noisy environments over a period of 4 weeks.

If scientists still don't understand what CFS/ME actually is, or even have a test that can identify it, how could they possibly expect to "recreate" it?

How could they assume that stressing rats out for a month is the equivalent to having CFS/ME? This sounds like a complete waste of money and time. Any results they find will be useless because they are not working with a CFS/ME model.