• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

UK Media - pushing the CBT agenda(?)

slysaint

Thought it might be useful to have a thread to monitor UK media of the current push in CBT, talking therapy.

There was a phone in today on BBC Radio 2 (Jeremy Vine); primarily about anxiety but they went into the whole mind/body thing, fight or flight response and mentioned TATT (tired all the time), not being able to get out of bed etc. ME/CFS were not mentioned.

Although, these treatments are valid/useful for a lot of recognised mental illnesses, we are all seeing where this is heading. With all the stuff about PACE still being largely ignored by the UK media it might be an idea to keep an eye on what is receiving coverage.

ETA: just remembered they also talked about 'achievers'....alarm bells were ringing

Last edited:

SamanthaJ

With almost any health story now, I wait for them to say "..and CBT can help". Also, the BBC's silence on PACE is deafening - they must have the best resourced health/science news department in UK media, so I cannot believe they are not well aware of it.

Last edited:

SamanthaJ

There was a phone in today on BBC Radio 2 (Jeremy Vine); primarily about anxiety but they went into the whole mind/body thing, fight or flight response and mentioned TATT (tired all the time), not being able to get out of bed etc. ME/CFS were not mentioned.

Although, these treatments are valid/useful for a lot of recognised mental illnesses, we are all seeing where this is heading. With all the stuff about PACE still being largely ignored by the UK media it might be an idea to keep an eye on what is receiving coverage.

ETA: just remembered they also talked about 'achievers'....alarm bells were ringing

Great idea for a thread, seems like we're seeing more and more of this kind of stuff at the moment. I can see how these kind of theories would appeal to people who aren't ill - making them feel superior and helping to justify their prejudices - and that's probably one reason why we're hearing so much about them.

Last edited:

slysaint

Not exactly media coverage but still something to keep an eye on; the OHC are producing a documentary about recovery which they plan to release in May during ME awareness week..........
This could be very bad timing.

eta: OHC = the Optimum Health Clinic

Last edited:

slysaint

Not CBT but:

Electroconvulsive therapy on the rise again in England

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/apr/17/electroconvulsive-therapy-on-rise-england-ect-nhs

Also covered on BBC Radio2

edit:
from the above link
"
“The decision about whether ECT is to be used or not is based on the quirks of the local psychiatrist,” said Richard Bentall, professor of clinical psychology at Liverpool University. “There are some places where psychiatrists think it works, and they just do it lots of times, and there are some places where people think: ‘Bloody hell, I don’t think the evidence for this is very good,’ so will only do it in absolutely desperate circumstances.”

He added: “My view is that ECT is a classic failure of evidence-based medicine. I don’t believe that there are adequate clinical trials of ECT to establish its effectiveness.”

While some, including Oakley, have argued that historical ECT trials do show a benefit from the treatment, Bentall believes their design was not up to scratch, and said the data obtained by the Guardian highlighted the need for large randomised placebo-controlled clinical trials – a proposal some proponents of ECT have argued would be unethical."

sound familiar?

Last edited:

slysaint

"CBT has positive effects on mental health, financial empowerment and parenting skills, long-term study shows"
https://www.theguardian.com/society...therapy-long-term-benefits-mothers-depression

Study in question:
https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/blog/2...evidence-from-a-randomized-control-trial-blog

"It is estimated that 10-35% of children are exposed to maternal depression in their first year of life (Rahman 2006). Since the foetal period and the first years of life are critical periods for child development, it is plausible that perinatal depression has adverse impacts on children (Murray et al., 1996, 1999)."

eta: I can see EC using this one to justify her own 'studies'.

Last edited:

slysaint

Digital mental health platform Healios endorsed by NICE
An online cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) platform, Healios, has received an endorsement from NICE to help children, young people and their families with anxiety disorders.
“We are delighted to receive this second endorsement from NICE which is the ultimate seal of approval and further supports our evidence-based work in the crucial area of children and young people’s mental health,” said Dr Lars Hansen, Consultant Psychiatrist and chief medical officer at Healios.
NHS England recently unveiled seven mental health digital exemplars to lead the way in pioneering digital technologies for mental health care and is also preparing to introduce new access and waiting time targets to Child and Adolescent Mental Health services.

https://pharmaphorum.com/news/digital-mental-health-platform-healios-endorsed-nice/

https://pharmaphorum.com/news/nhs-unveils-mental-health-digital-exemplars/
"Each Trust will have £70 million – £35 million of which will be provided by the Trusts themselves – to achieve their objectives."

Rival to FITNET?

NelliePledge

Having seen a serious TV programme this week about people with very bad hoarding problems and another about schizophrenia and other mental illnesses I simply don't understand why the psych lot don't concentrate on people with these serious conditions where they can make a genuine positive impact instead of dabbling in biological conditions

SilverbladeTE

Having seen a serious TV programme this week about people with very bad hoarding problems and another about schizophrenia and other mental illnesses I simply don't understand why the psych lot don't concentrate on people with these serious conditions where they can make a genuine positive impact instead of dabbling in biological conditions

Ego
power
Profit
Weak victims

slysaint

Just heard a comment from Simon Wessely on Radio 2 about mental health patients being 'treated' by the police when they should be getting help from the NHS.
Can't find it as an interview.

Last edited:

RogerBlack

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/aug/17/mentally-ill-children-police-cells - possibly related to.
Victoria Bleazard, director of communications and campaigns at the charity Rethink Mental Illness, said: "It's disgraceful that so many people, especially children and young people, are being held in police cells under section 136. If you're experiencing a mental health crisis, you should be brought to a 'place of safety' in a health facility. A police cell should only be used as an absolute last resort."
However, she added, there are only 161 places of safety in England, many of which can only take one person. "That means that there simply aren't enough facilities available to meet the needs of people in crisis. Even worse, more than a third (35%) of those facilities do not accept young people under the age of 16, which is why children in crisis are being taken to police cells," said Bleazard.
(also has a comment from mr W).

Likely specifically raised by http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39832997
The Conservatives pledge 10,000 more NHS mental health staff by 2020.

But opponents said no more funding had been promised, without which the pledges are based on "thin air".

The Conservatives say the plans are motivated by the concern that "vulnerable people are being subject to detention, including in police cells, unnecessarily" as numbers of people detained or "sectioned" under the Mental Health Act have risen.

We need more MH staff, but there is little funding available for this. Perhaps those currently doing non-evidence based CBT could be retrained?
An important campaign for Simon W.