• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

high ferritin level ??? give blood donation???

alicec

Only abut 10 % elevated ferritin is due to iron overload.

Ferritin is an acute phase protein so is elevated in inflammatory states, during infection, metabolic syndrome, liver disease and a number of other conditions.

The single most sensitive indicator of iron overload is transferrin saturation. >45% is strongly suggestive of iron overload, >55% is unequivocal iron overload.

Johnskip

You're probably just kidding, but please don't take the chance of giving blood if you have ME.
Oh you think you can give somebody ME by giving blood I disagreee, and I think it can actually help us by giving blood

Last edited by a moderator:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Oh you think you can give somebody ME by giving blood I disagreee
There is now very good research indicating that there is something in our blood serum. We don't yet know what it is, but if you want to "give" blood, might be better to have it discarded than risking passing something on. In some places ME/CFS patients are not allowed to give blood.

Oberon

Oh you think you can give somebody ME by giving blood I disagreee, and I think it can actually help us by giving blood

I would really recommend listening to what alicec said above. A few of us just talked about high ferritin and low iron in this thread: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ow-iron-and-ferritin.50758/page-2#post-838661

With something like CFS it wouldn't be surprising for someone to have high Ferritin with low iron levels. In my case I have had high ferritin for years and my iron is always either low or at the lower end of the scale.

Oberon

There is now very good research indicating that there is something in our blood serum. We don't yet know what it is, but if you want to "give" blood, might be better to have it discarded than risking passing something on. In some places ME/CFS patients are not allowed to give blood.

Just as an example, Canada does not allow blood donations for CFS.
https://blood.ca/en/blood/abcs-eligibility

CCC

You can give a therapeutic 'donation'. This means they take your blood then throw it away.

It's an established way of reducing iron overload.

I have relatives (in law) who have to do this. I think they just needed a letter or somthing from the doctor to set this up.

Johnskip

You can give a therapeutic 'donation'. This means they take your blood then throw it away.

It's an established way of reducing iron overload.

I have relatives (in law) who have to do this. I think they just needed a letter or somthing from the doctor to set this up.
Yes thankyou that's what I want to do

Johnskip

Only abut 10 % elevated ferritin is due to iron overload.

Ferritin is an acute phase protein so is elevated in inflammatory states, during infection, metabolic syndrome, liver disease and a number of other conditions.

The single most sensitive indicator of iron overload is transferrin saturation. >45% is strongly suggestive of iron overload, >55% is unequivocal iron overload.
stored iron is measured by ferritin you do not want stored iron

Hip

Oh you think you can give somebody ME by giving blood I disagreee,

Expressing his concern that ME/CFS might be contagious, the patient asked the doctor about the possibility of infecting others through casual contact. "I don't think so," Dr. De Meirleir answered. "But blood products can transmit it; we are sure of that. We have a rather large number of CFS patients who became ill immediately after transfusion."

Source: Can Blood Transfusions Cause ME/CFS
Though to be fair, although people may develop ME/CFS after receiving a blood transfusion, presumably by catching an ME/CFS-associated virus from the blood, that virus may not have come from an ME/CFS patient giving blood, but is more likely to have come from a healthy member of the public donating blood (because ME/CFS-associated viruses are common in the general population).

In the UK, in any case, all blood and tissue donations from ME/CFS patients are banned.

Last edited:

alex3619

I would really recommend listening to what alicec said above. A few of us just talked about high ferritin and low iron in this thread: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ow-iron-and-ferritin.50758/page-2#post-838661

With something like CFS it wouldn't be surprising for someone to have high Ferritin with low iron levels. In my case I have had high ferritin for years and my iron is always either low or at the lower end of the scale.
Ditto. I have super high ferritin, but I am borderline low iron ... a point lower it would be considered a problem.

Jessie 107

I was reading about blood donation the other day, apparently if people with M. E donate it will make us more ill. For this reason we are not allowed to donate

Johnskip

why would it be bad for us to give blood???? I understand risk of other people absolutely but for us?

Crux

I suspect that brain iron deposition may be involved with neurodegenerative disorders. That would include ME.

The studies, though are mostly with MS, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, etc. patients.

Phlebotomy doesn't work very well with removing brain iron. Chelation is looking better. Still, it needs more research.