• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mental Fatigue vs phisical fatigue

I'm pretty strong and can do 20 pull ups and 50 push ups easily, any time of the day. Seems like my fatigue is different. Maybe not even CFS because most of people here have extreme fatigue after exercises.
My fatigue is extreme but also ONLY mental fatigue.
When I was able to work, people look at me and said.. "omg you are white, are you feeling ok?".
Actually I feel A LOT better when I exercise.

My fatigue is triggered when I wake up until 8pm. I can't work, or do anything that has stress in it, like:
-My job
-Hot showers
-Orgasm
-Mother screaming
-Gastritis
-Eating sugar

I can't afford any body stressor and even avoiding everything, the fatigue is still there, all day long, for 10 years.
After 8 PM I can have a normal life.. like having a girlfriend, going out and so on.
Does anyone have any clue what this Mental fatigue is about?

Important symptoms:
-white coated tongue
-total cholesterol: 100
-acne
-gastritis (2 stomach surgeries)
-feel colder than others (everyone is in the pool but me. Actually sometimes Im with my coat and people are in the pool making fun of me)

Hip

Yes, I get mental exhaustion and mental PEM after mental activity or mental stimulation like socializing for several hours. This state of PEM appears the next day after socializing, and may last for one or two days, depending on how much socializing I did.

But on the physical side, these days I don't suffer much PEM after physical exertion (although when my ME/CFS was more severe, I could barely do 5 press-ups).

However, I don't have this condition like @taroopher where these mental fatigue symptoms are present only before 8 pm, but disappear after 8 pm. That seems very unusual, and I have not come across anything like that before.

CCC

Yes, I get mental exhaustion and mental PEM after mental activity or mental stimulation like socializing for several hours. This state of PEM appears the next day after socializing, and may last for one or two days, depending on how much socializing I did.

But on the physical side, these days I don't suffer much PEM after physical exertion (although when my ME/CFS was more severe, I could barely do 5 press-ups).

However, I don't have this condition like @taroopher where these mental fatigue symptoms are present only before 8 pm, but disappear after 8 pm. That seems very unusual, and I have not come across anything like that before.
My son has a bit of that - no matter how bad he has felt all day, he has been better in the evenings.

You'd normally suspect cortisol levels are skewiff in that situationm, but we had that tested and he has a normal profile - albeit with very low melatonin (which we now supplement in the evenings).

@taroopher - have you checked evening cortisol levels? Could it be two things you are dealing with here?

@Hip - did you ever find something to address the mental fatigue from social/mental activity? All we have found is a chocolate milk (milk, potassium, cocoa and d-ribose) provides an instant and medium-lasting energy boost.

Hip

@taroopher - have you checked evening cortisol levels? Could it be two things you are dealing with here?

Yes, I was thinking of that too: cortisol levels have a daily rhythm, and are high during sleep and in the first part of the day, but then decline by evening. @taroopher might have some sort of illness that is driven by these cortisol levels, and that why he perks up in the evening when cortisol is lower.

Though usually it is high cortisol that protects you from stressful events, and low cortisol that makes you more vulnerable to stress.

@Hip - did you ever find something to address the mental fatigue from social/mental activity? All we have found is a chocolate milk (milk, potassium, cocoa and d-ribose) provides an instant and medium-lasting energy boost.

I have not really found much, although what I do now, just an hour before socializing, is take 300 mg of kava kava root, which is a quite potent calming herb. This I find stops me from becoming too excited and agitated during social activities.

If I can keep my mind more relaxed, and don't allow my level of mental excitation to get too high during social events, then I get the impression this reduces the PEM and the numb mind feeling I get the next day.

Dechi

I have read that when you feel better in the evening than during the morning and pm, it's a sign of adrenal problems.

Have you seen an endocrinologist ?