• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fludrocortison and blood pressure

Hey there everyone.
I have a question for the people here that have experience with Fludrocortisone.
I was wondering how it affected/change your blood pressure and on what dose.
(I think Florinef is the same thing)

I have been taking it for about two weeks now and I think I noticed a mild change in blood pressure. But I am not sure yet because I bought a better blood pressure meter that measures the upper arm, instead of the wrist. Wrist measuring is what I have been doing before, so that might create a difference as well.
I think I am pretty sure that I see less narrowing of pulse pressure. What I do still see is borderline/low blood pressures overal, not dramatic but still not completely great either. When I was up for an hour this morning, and had my coffee and fist water load it was 93/53 for example. Not dramatic, but not yet great either.
It sounds as if its not having a whole lot of effect, but that is not true. In general, I feel better then before. And on some days, my blood pressure goes up to 107/68 for example. Which is great!

Question 1 :)
What types of changes have you seen while using this medication, and what sort of change is expected/normal, and on what dose? (I take 62.5 mcg two times a day).

Question 2
Will coffee in the morning make fludrocortisone less effective because it causes the body to lose fluid again?
And, what can I do to make the medication work as good as possible? How much salt do you guys eat, and how much do you drink? /What works for you?
(is eating salt 'before' the first tablet helpful?)

Thanks in advance :)

(Edit, sorry for the error in the title, in my language Fludrocortisone is written without the e on the end :) I forgot to change that into the English version with the e)

Last edited:

Misfit Toy

No one responded to this? I don't know the answers, but I am sure someone on here was or is on Florinef.

Hey there everyone.
I have a question for the people here that have experience with Fludrocortisone.
I was wondering how it affected/change your blood pressure and on what dose.
(I think Florinef is the same thing)

Question 2
Will coffee in the morning make fludrocortisone less effective because it causes the body to lose fluid again?
And, what can I do to make the medication work as good as possible? How much salt do you guys eat, and how much do you drink? /What works for you?
(is eating salt 'before' the first tablet helpful?)

the body adapts to coffee or tea consumption and the diuretic effect stabilises. aka you stop peeing as much

bertiedog

I have taken Fludro in the summer when I tend to loose too much salt and it definitely pushes my bp up and unfortunately in my case just taking an half a tab will push it up too high after a few days.

BTW I used to have similar bps to you @JuliaMaple and it can be a sign of very poor adrenal function with possible thyroid involvement. This was the case with me and since taking Prednisolone 6 mg daily plus natural dessicated thyroid meds which I started in 2003, my bp is perfectly normal now, around 130/78 and has been for over 12 years.

You probably don't want to hear this but there is a definite connection to very low bp and underfuctioning adrenals. I did try all the natural ways to support adrenal function but in my case I was bordering on insufficiency and did need mediation.

Pam

Misfit Toy

This was the case with me and since taking Prednisolone 6 mg daily plus natural dessicated thyroid meds which I started in 2003, my bp is perfectly normal now, around 130/78 and has been for over 12 years.

Prednisilone helped? I wonder if prednisone can help? I think I am in adrenal exhaustion and I have acute POTS. I am trying florinef but feel strange on it.

bertiedog

Yes I used to have extremely low bp and constantly would experience periods of blackness and severe dizziness which was very frightening. Thankfully I don't get anything like that anymore, the steroid and thyroid meds have corrected this.

I still experience POTS mildly especially if it is hot but a small dose of Propananol will help control this as long as I don't try and stand for too long.

Pam