• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Things that show up in your lab results

Jo86

I wanted to get a sense of the sort of lab irregularities that popped up in your testing. I understand all of you on this forum suffer from CFS symptoms, and well, what has shown up so far in your endeavor ?

Chronic infections, hormonal/endocrine, autoimmune, GI tract... what are the culprits in your case ?

Jo86

Well I mean I've got pretty high anti-TPO (thyroid antibodies) for example.
And my ACTH is pretty high, and has increased with time (about twice the range now), so that's pituitary-gland, HPA axis oriented, and I did a 4x cortisol saliva once and the morning cortisol was high. Globally, that would indicate stress in the body and the adrenal glands over-functioning to keep up. I've got elevated DHEA-S, but that could just be natural.

Anyone else ?

Have any of you guys done GI stuff ? Like the "DDI Comprehensive Stool Analysis".
I did that once. Indicated my secretary IgA defenses were below range and I had low intestinal flora in some categories, which explains my extreme GI sensitivities.

So far, diagnosed with Hashimoto's (based on autoantibody, TSH, T3, T4 levels normal) and low Vitamin D. I had stool culture analyzed recently. I am not sure what to make of the results, so I won't share yet. I have had multiple scans, too, which includes an MRI (MS protocol), which was normal. It was done at the beginning of all of this. I am grateful I had this done so early on because I believe it can serve as a baseline, especially if I have one done in a few years and it shows profound changes.

Valentijn

ESR is usually mildly elevated for me, and traces of blood in my urine. CRP has been elevated once or twice when it was tested. IL-8 and PGE2 are very elevated.

rwac

PTH, Lactic acid were high recently. Cortisol, ferritin and serum calcium have been high previously.
I have some bone issues.

TSH fluctuates between high normal and slightly elevated; thyroid hormone levels are usually normal although I am usually symptomatic; antibodies were normal. Borderline low cortisol. Calcium fluctuates between high normal and slightly elevated. CMV was positive, but then over 50% of people have it IIRC. Ferritin was low but responded well to several months of PO iron.

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
hashimotos tyroiditis with antibodies, positive tilt table test for pots, positive 2 day cpet, recurrent monocitocys, recurent HIGH serum B12, decreased gammaglobulin. ExtremelyHigh antibodies for herpes simplex 1 and two igg"epileptiform acitity." (elevated electrical activity) in eeg, specially during hypervwntilation. functional mri shows decreased activity in the memory area when recalling memories

Apple

Off the top of my head:

-Severely Low ferritin, Vit D, B12. Probably from gut problems.
-Raised fecal calprotectin several times (indicating inflammation in the digestive tract - none found with further tests),
-Blood, protein and leukocytes in urine - probably from Interstitial cystitis.
-Somewhat raised ESR several times. Something in my complement profile was iffy, no-one very interested in either (GP phoned rheum, told them I had a long history of chronic fatigue, mentioned the abnormal result and asked if they wanted to see me - guess what they said?!) :rolleyes:
-A few kidney function tests are iffy, again not enough to interest anyone.
-TSR leaning towards hypothyroid based on international standards but light years away from getting help here.

I live in the UK so testing for chronic infections, viruses, hormone testing, TPO antibodies, T3, T4, IL-8 and PGE2, ACTH, cortisol, MRI testing etc etc etc just isn't really done here unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

Very low NK functioning, abnormal viral titers for herpes and enteroviruses, undetectable vasopressin, ANA 1:160, speckled pattern, low Vit D, low B-12, very low folate, MTHFR mutations, high homocysteine, both Hashimoto's autoantibodies, other weird autoantibodies (GAD65, N-type Calcium Channel Ab), 7 of 9 positive autoantibodies on Cell Trend testing, and I could go on and on re: blood work abnormalities.

In 2015 I was 4x the normal level of histamine, high prostaglandin levels, high TGF-b1 and other MCAS and inflammation markers.

Two TTT's showing POTS, failed every spirometry and PFT test showing pulmonary restriction, abnormal EMG showing left phrenic nerve neuropathy, QSART showing abnormal sweat response and neuropathy to long branch nerves in feet, Treadmill test (2014) showed ischemia/ lack of blood flow to heart when standing, V/Q scan showed mismatch.

Nearly every test I do is abnormal but yet I still don't really know what to call my illness. It's very frustrating!

TigerLilea

I live in the UK so testing for chronic infections, viruses, hormone testing, TPO antibodies, T3, T4, IL-8 and PGE2, ACTH, cortisol, MRI testing etc etc etc just isn't really done here unless absolutely necessary.
I live in Canada and the same applies here. Just because a doctor orders a test doesn't mean that the lab will actually do the test. :(

soti

high glutamine. cpet (only one) indicating more dependence than expected on fat metabolism and slightly low max numbers. everything else normal.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Low NK cell function, undetectable vasopressin, high titers for EBV, Coxsackie B, enteroviruses, HHV-6, hypothyroid, high nighttime cortisol, low white blood cell count, borderline high MCV, high B12

Vineyard1

abnormal brain PET scan, low cortisol. low carnitine, Hashimoto's, low Total IgG and IgG1. low tumor necrosis factor, low natural killer cell activity, elevated liver enzymes, low WBC's,elevated mycoplasma and herpes virus titers

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Low(ish) eGFR, high MCV, low free T4, low 25OH Vit D, high B12, high a.m. cortisol, low DHEA-S, low(ish) ferritin.

Cohen2

Elevated Calprotectin, 1:80 ANA nucleolar, anti dsdna, thyroid antibodies, coeliac antibodies, brisk reflexes, hypometric saccades, Base Deficit

Wishful

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's too, but the results were abnormal for that, and supplemental T4 and T3 had no effect on my symptoms, so I don't think that's a real issue. I think my TSH is elevated due to excess kynurenines. The thallassemia trait showed up, but that shouldn't have any effect. I did manage to get a serum cytokine profile done, and it showed half a dozen elevated or mildly elevated cytokines. I think a CSF cytokine profile would be more useful.

All the other tests showed nothing of consequence. It would be nice if this thread turned up some test that does reveal something common to most CFS patients.