• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"recovering from CFS"

RogerBlack

The below piece amused me.
http://sporteluxe.com/meet-amanda-bisk-our-new-go-to-for-fitspiration/

She competed in women’s pole vault in the 2010 Commonwealth Games and had her sights set on the 2012 London Olympics. However, her training didn’t quite go to plan. Amanda noticed that she was struggling to recover from her training sessions and instead of being her usual bubbly energetic self, was quite drained throughout the day.

After months of looking for answers, Amanda was eventually told she had chronic fatigue syndrome. It was a diagnosis that resulted in her having to give up her Olympic dream, as her body needed to recover. It was during this time that Amanda’s passion for her health and nutrition flourished, as she experimented with different ways to get healthy again.
(gratuitous fit female gymnast shot)
Fast forward to 2017 and Amanda is now a qualified health expert, exercise physiologist, yoga instructor, elite athletics coach. If all that isn’t enough, she’s also a Global H&M ambassador and the creator of Fresh Body Mind Fit, a series of online fitness and flexibility programs.

Objective tests for CFS would be great. I somehow doubt by following her example I can become an elite athletics coach though.

Valentijn

Gee whiz, maybe next she can cure cancer! Hopefully without purportedly contracting it first in that case, since I wouldn't wish it on a uninformed idiot who probably has good intentions.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
upload_2017-4-14_12-58-52.jpeg

Yes, we can all hold our breath til we're blue in the face. Waiting. . .Waiting. . .

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I'm in some serious need of GOOD news right now.
I fear even Nuking the BPS dogma will have zero effect.
Like cockroaches it will survive the blast.
Its not going to be easy to defeat the forces of evil (just look at US politics), and this condition makes it harder for us to make it happen. I do hope Ron Davis shows the disease mechanism, it may not only lead to a treatment but can be used like a club against the psychosomatic bullshit camp, it took discovery of Orexin to prove narcolepsy is not a psychological disease despite the physical evidence.

HowToEscape?

Its not going to be easy to defeat the forces of evil (just look at US politics), and this condition makes it harder for us to make it happen. I do hope Ron Davis shows the disease mechanism, it may not only lead to a treatment but can be used like a club against the psychosomatic bullshit camp, it took discovery of Orexin to prove narcolepsy is not a psychological disease despite the physical evidence.

Let me be the eternal pessimist.

Scam artists and bullshitters are at most mildly inconvenienced by the truth. Such folks Will Jell-O mold either their product or their presentation and continue. They look at ideas only as instruments for personal gain; you'll notice that things like lightning process etc are never published as a research paper or a standard book, their package that something you have to pay at least $100 for, usually much more.

The small number of real docs that deal with our disease publish whatever they know, in almost all cases you can read it free.

On the Plus side decent physicians and scientists will probably stop listening to the likes of Wesley once someone has shown at least one distinctive physiological marker and that marker swims far enough upstream to reach said people's attention.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Let me be the eternal pessimist.

Scam artists and bullshitters are at most mildly inconvenienced by the truth. Such folks Will Jell-O mold either their product or their presentation and continue. They look at ideas only as instruments for personal gain; you'll notice that things like lightning process etc are never published as a research paper or a standard book, their package that something you have to pay at least $100 for, usually much more.

The small number of real docs that deal with our disease publish whatever they know, in almost all cases you can read it free.

On the Plus side decent physicians and scientists will probably stop listening to the likes of Wesley once someone has shown at least one distinctive physiological marker and that marker swims far enough upstream to reach said people's attention.
i can't disagree with pessimism and ME/CFS
in another thread people were arguing that PACE is on its way to death and i was the pessimistic one, one thing i have learned over and over again is to never count one's chickens before they are hatched.

Solstice

Is it just me or the "chronic fatigue" experienced by athletes eg "overtraining syndrome" remit/recover far more frequently than CFS or ME?

I think it's mostly people trying to sell something through the power of bullshit. Maybe she was overtrained or whatever and very fatigued from that, but she's a healthcoach and has vested interests in getting the story across that her type of training can get you better.

RogerBlack

Is it just me or the "chronic fatigue" experienced by athletes eg "overtraining syndrome" remit/recover far more frequently than CFS or ME?

It's an interesting question, which is not answerable by the data.

For every dozen athletes that become ill by CFS, how many recover, how many recover short term for a year or three, and then face a spiralling life of disability, and how many are sitting at home trying to get up the energy to do the washing up after having dropped out, ...

Studying the (if there is one) population of people with 'true' CFS (let's say with PEM) for under 6 months who fully recover to their original baseline, and die without a relapse at their normally expected time with no further impact of the disease would be fascinating.

If only rats got CFS.

NelliePledge

In there somewhere she says people are surprised I'm really bad at running distance. So there's still something underneath all that healthy exterior that isn't working "normally".