• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

James Coyne has requested the data set from the Cochrane review on exercise for CFS

A.B.

I am writing with regard to the protocol Exercise therapy for chronic fatigue syndrome (individual patient data) DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD011040

I understand that the actual review will soon be published. I am writing to request the data so that I can reproduce basic analyses and perform sensitivity analyses with respect to the outcomes that were originally specified for the trials included in the protocols, but later switched.

It may seem premature for this request, but note that release of only a portion of the data for one of the trials, The Lancet PACE trial took five years after a request.

Similarly, I requested data from that trial that were promised to be available as a condition for publishing in PLOS One. Over 18 months later, I am still waiting.

I sincerely hope that you will simply make the data available. However, my request for the PLOS One PACE data was turned into a FOIA request by the investigators and rejected. In anticipation that might be the case for the Cochrane Review, I thought we could start early in the request-rejection-appeal process.

I write in hope that my reasonable request can be accommodated without instigating such a drawn-out process.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks in advance.

JC Coyne

https://jcoynester.wordpress.com/20...questing-the-data-set-from-a-cochrane-review/

I think this is a very important step. Cochrane is highly respected and this review will give considerable credibility to CBT/GET. Coyne is probably in the best position to fight this out with Cochrane. Please let him know that you appreciate his efforts.

Coyne is planning to carefully analyze the data and publish the analysis:
On behalf of these stakeholders, I am formally requesting release of the individual participant level data from the systematic review and meta-analysis for independent reanalysis. My reanalyses will be forensic, and will include exploratory sensitivity analyses using the scoring of measures originally specified in original trial protocols. I of course will make the results of these analyses available for public scrutiny in the from of a preprint, solicit comments, and then submit the revised paper for peer review.

Last edited:

A.B.

This Cochrane review is the main thing slowing progress on PACE and related issues. I've not read this blog yet, but anything to get the situation improved would be good.

This is my impression as well. It's the life ring to which they cling. Well, one of the life rings (another being The Lancet) but perhaps the biggest.

Last edited: