• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hungry all the time

leaves

Does anyone else have this? I am hungry all the time, and eating does not help, if anything it makes it worse. Does anyone found a thing that helped? Chlorella helped me for a while, SCD too, but not anymore.

Min

it's a real problem, made worse by some drugs

determinedly not eating sugar or simple carbs helps tremendously, tho it's tough for the first few days

eating protein and fast with fruit snacks helps too - e.g. apple with a cube of cheese, melon with cottage cheese - i'm sure some fruits go with nuts, but i don't like them

porridge/oatmeal is filling for hours - lovely with strawberries

sorry can't use capitals

Mithriel

This can be a sign of diabetes so you should get that checked out.

Before my daughter was diagnosed with coeliac disease she was always hungry. She wasn't absorbing nutrients so her body was craving them.

Mithriel

My appetite swings back and forth a lot. And sometimes I feel hungry but I can't think of anything I want to eat. But I do have frequent periods of ravenous appetite, and once I start eating, I have trouble stopping.

My illness has changed in the past few years. For about 30 years, I was very thin and my biggest problem was food allergy. Now I am 60 pounds overweight. I gained the weight in about a year. It happened so fast, and I felt helpless to stop it.

If I cut out most carbs, it does reduce my appetite, but I can't resist my cravings for carbs. At some point this illness took over my life, and I feel helpless to fight it.

I don't tolerate shots. I get a 4 to 6 inch area around the entry point that is red, sore, and swollen, plus bruising. So I don't know what I would do if I did have diabetes.

vdt

leaves

I don't have diabetes, fortunately. What it is, I'm not sure. Idont eat gluten, so thats not the reason either. I do crave things I am allergic too more (which is basically everything, lol) and if I eat carbs hunger gets worse.
I am still hoping for the magic cure from one of you :)

Leaves,

Alternative docs say that we become addicted to the foods we are most allergic to. My experience would certainly support that belief.

I used to pick a few foods I wasn't allergic to and eat those for a while. Such as quinoa hot cereal with stevia for breakfast, apples and almonds for lunch, and squash and butter for dinner. It seemed to calm the allergies and cravings down and reduce my appetitie.

Of course, some people have done well on a rotation diet. I tried for 10 or 15 years from time to time, but I just couldn't do it because my brain wasn't organized enough and I didn't have enough energy.

leaves

Yes same here with the rotation diet. Also, I dont want to let a diet rule my life (as in scd, when everything is "illegal"). I do have low serum serotonine, which causes cravings. But this is because my body converts it to inflammatory cytokines, and I dont want to increase the problem by supplementing...

laura

Is it your thyroid?

Hungry all the time can also be a symptom of elevated thyroid activity -- hyperthyroidism. Soy products can contribute to elevated thyroid, so if your hunger is thyroid related, avoiding soy might help. And focusing on good quality protein and leafy greens, like kale and chard. That worked for me! Also, for me, I've noticed a craving for carbs is often related to my craving for energy...

leaves

Nope, not my thyroid either :) had it checked many times ...

thanks for all these suggestions though, keep em coming!

Wayne

thanks for all these suggestions though, keep em coming!

Hi Leaves,

I too deal with eating issues, although I don't necessarily feel hungry all the time. I find it difficult to stop eating at times, and I think it mostly has to do with the underlying agitation in my system. So I generally "force" myself to lay down after eating, and use my alpha stim (microcurrent therapy device) to get my neurological calmed down. This generally eases down my desire to eat more. I often do other massage, polarity and energetic exercises as well. Hot water bottles on my abdomen also works quite well.

I tend to eat small portions than are normally eaten at meal times. If I find myself feeling unsatiated even when I know I shouldn't be hungry, I generally realize it's time to eat some meat (usually some turkey slices or salmon). It's sort of amazing how just a small amount can leave me feeling satiated for several hours afterward.

Like some many other aspects of having ME, this seems to be just one more area that depends on trial and error to try to reach some kind of delicate balancing act. Perhaps they should call our illness, "The Delicate Balancing Act in All Things Syndrome". :Retro wink:

Wayne

Jody

leaves,

Where are you at for fats and oils?

Sounds like avoiding many carbs works for you, and protein seems to help you. Same for me.

The last part of the puzzle I am finding may be increasing amounts of healthy fats and oils. Recently started taking non-hydrogenated coconut oil in the mornings -- just a tsp at a time cos I hate the stuff.:Retro tongue: But, increasing fats can soothe the appetite.

Saturated fats are not the enemy, when starch and sugar are avoided. And fats and oils are needed for a healthy nervous system, every cell in the body needs to be coated by essential fatty acids to be healthy. My fats of choice are extra virgin olive oil, non-hydrogenated coconut oil, butter, and cream, and high fat content for things like sour cream or cheese, and in meats. Avoid vegetable oils due to omega-6 content (we get too much in general and it promotes inflammation among other bad things when out of ratio with omega-3) except for grapeseed oil which is a healthy one to have on hand.

Just a few thoughts to throw into your mix.:Retro smile:

caledonia

You could be hypoglycemic, which means having blood sugar issues, but not full blown diabetes. Have you tried something like the Zone Diet, which controls blood sugar? This would be lean meats, low to medium glycyemic carbs and healthy fats with each meal and snack. You may have to eat smaller meals/snacks 4-5 times a day every 3 hours or so, instead of the traditional 3 meals a day.

Also try supplementing with chromium which helps support the pancreas, the organ which controls blood sugar.

wciarci

Wenderella
I am hungry all the time too. I can eat a meal and be hungry in an hour. I avoid sugars and white flour. Having a fruit snack handy helps as does drinking lots of water. I gained 30 pounds in about a year in a half and hate it. I will ask my doctor to check my meds as I am on low dose doxepin for sleep and read that it can increase appetite. Good luck. I'd like to know the answer to this too. My thyroid levels are fine and I am on a low dose of synthroid.

Wendy

IntuneJune

Leaves and hungry all the time

I complained for years and years to my doctor about being hungry all the time. He was after me about my weight. At that time, I was maybe 15 pounds over what he thought I should be..and he wanted everyone at the low end of the weight ranges.

Going to make this short, did go to a nutritionist, she went over my diet for an hour and then refused to charge me because there was nothing she could suggest.

Fast forward maybe 30 years..... lost 30 pounds in two months due to severe damage to my intestines from celiac disease. Once it got properly diagnosed, I started hanging onto my food. It takes a year (s) for the villi to repair.

That hungry feeling all the time improved some. (Notice..some).

Since you eat GF you know how restricted the "diet" can be. However, I am back to having a weight problem, gained the 30 pounds back.

Calorie counting puts me between 1,200 and 1,500 calories a day. I am in the pool to "work out" since I cannot walk any distance. On this I gained weight. So I must now be sure to keep it to only 1,200 calories a day, and on non-pool days, keep it lower. Geezzz, that is hard to do.

My thyroid gets checked every year.

I am reshaping my food intake. Trying to cut down on the rice, potatoes, all simple carbs. Am eating carbs, not the simple carbs, replacing a few of those calories with protein.

With this approach, I manged to stop the weight gain, now, if only the weight would start coming down. The hunger improved a little. (Note.....a little)

Watching this thread for more ideas.

June

IntuneJune

Jody coconut oil

Non-hydrogenated coconut oil? Hummm, is that what I am getting from Tropical Traditions? I have Gold Label Standard Virgin Coconut Oil. That is it. One tablespoon has 117 calories, all fat calories. They claim also "organic."

I cannot wrap my mind around "non-dydrogenated" this morning. (Hate it when that happens.)

June

Hysterical Woman

Does anyone else have this? I am hungry all the time, and eating does not help, if anything it makes it worse. Does anyone found a thing that helped? Chlorella helped me for a while, SCD too, but not anymore.

Hi leaves,

Being hungry all the time is NO fun!! Hopefully with the brain power on this list, there will be a suggestion that will help you.

Min suggested that some medications can make you really hungry and that was my personal experience. I was on elavil for almost 18 years and the constant hunger was a nightmare. When I had to get up during the night to pee (something else elavil contributes to) it would be everything I could do to not go to the kitchen to find something to eat. Thankfully I was able to ditch the drug and the constant hunger pangs have gone away altho I still have a good appetite. I believe I have lost a small amount of weight tho I can't be sure since I don't have a scale, but clothes are fitting better.

Good luck, leaves, and let us know how you are doing with this. It is so frustrating to have this illness and to have the gnawing hunger placed on top of that.

Take care,

Maxine

ramakentesh

Since i got this ive been constantly hungry and I eat like a machine! I was reading that neuropeptide Y which is implicated in at least Fibromaylgia causes an increase in appetite as well as sympathetic excess.

Jody

Non-hydrogenated coconut oil? Hummm, is that what I am getting from Tropical Traditions? I have Gold Label Standard Virgin Coconut Oil. That is it. One tablespoon has 117 calories, all fat calories. They claim also "organic."

I cannot wrap my mind around "non-dydrogenated" this morning. (Hate it when that happens.)

June

June,

I googled your coconut oil and it is non-hydrogenated. That means it's the good stuff.:Retro smile:

Athene

ihateticks.me
Another possibility to consider:
My dietician told me you get the munchies when you are full of histamine. It acts upon the stomach and intestine. I used to get up in the night for a huge Scooby snack and eat at least once an hour all through the day as well. I take an antihistamine now and my appetite is completely normal.
I've had severely low blood sugar crises and also low thyroid, but for me this histamine problem had a much stronger effect on my appetite.

You can be pre diabetic, or have something they call syndrome x. Its all to do with blood sugar and insulin and how it controls your appetite. The nutritionist Patrick Holford is a good source of info on this patrickholford.com i think. He wrote a book, the holford diet, on this sort of issue.