• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS storyline in "Doctors" BBC1 lunchtime soap

ladycatlover

This story had been going for a few days now, with Ayshea's brother Carl being possibly AWOL from the army, turns out not so, but he's worn out and tired. Yesterday he went for his test results, all normal. Sister wants brain scan to rule out tumour (!) but one of the docs makes suggestion of CFS. Ayshea not happy. One of docs made comment about CFS as "there's no such thing" or something like that. (I wasn't really paying attention :redface: )To be continued today, any minute now! ;)

Here's link to yesterday's episode if anyone in UK wants to catch up.

ladycatlover

Most of today's episode was following the drug mule story from yesterday (very strange story line about copied drugs cupboard keys, stolen drugs that the mule had swallowed, then he found them in nurse's locker and swallowed them again and died!!!!! :wide-eyed: :vomit: :jaw-drop: !!!), :vomit: :rolleyes: not much about the CFS story. But Dr Sid told Karl to keep a sleep diary. :lol:Ayesha still not happy. :rofl: Tomorrow looks as if it's a male Dr bonding outward bound course story. :eek: So not sure if Karl's story will move on. I'll let you know! ;)

charles shepherd

I haven't seen this lunchtime BBC1 TV programme about a group of doctors - but I understand it is quite popular!

We gave the production team some information and guidance a few months ago on controversies surrounding ME/CFS and the way in which this has influenced medical opinion with some doctors still taking a sceptical or hostile view about this illness

I assume that the storyline is still basically the same and I don't know how it will conclude

Please note that (as usual) when it comes to dealing with the media, we can only advise and hopefully point producers in the right direction. We cannot dictate the plot or check on the accuracy of the scripts!

CS

Cheesus

Please note that (as usual) when it comes to dealing with the media, we can only advise and hopefully point producers in the right direction. We cannot dictate the plot or check on the accuracy of the scripts!

No weaselling out of it, Charles - if Carl ends up getting better with graded exercise and psychotherapy we will know who to blame! ;)

Oh no...my usual response when I hear the music is to turn over.....does this mean I might have to actually watch it....groan. My wife will have a field day on this one. If it's fully endorsed and script checked by @charles shepherd I had better watch it I suppose.

The next thing will be that someone on that awful "Mrs brown" programme will have CFS .....I draw the line at that one though

sarah darwins

Things like this always fill me with a sense of dread. Especially from the BBC! Thanks for updates.

Me, too! After reading ladycatlover's post my first thought was:

Friday 1:45pm BBC1 — Doctors, guest-starring Prof. Peter White as himself

But Charles' post gives me a little ray of hope. At least they actually sought some advice, for which kudos is due.

Hajnalka

Me, too! After reading ladycatlover's post my first thought was:

Friday 1:45pm BBC1 — Doctors, guest-starring Prof. Peter White as himself
Haha, I saw just yesterday that Simon Wesseley has an imdb page! :)

His filmography consists of 4 credits so far. They're called documentaries but sound rather like thriller/horror to me, i.e. "Secrets from the asylum" (aka CFS clinic?) and "Mystery files" (aka PACE raw data?). :nervous:

Panorama (TV Series documentary)
- Himself (2017) - President, Royal College of Psychiatrists

Secrets from the Asylum (TV Mini-Series documentary)
- Himself (2014) (as Prof. Sir Simon Wessely)

Mystery Files (TV Series)
Himself - Director: King's Centre for Military Health
- Hitler (2011) ... Himself - Director: King's Centre for Military Health (as Professor Simon Wessely)

Nuremberg: Nazis on Trial (TV Mini-Series documentary)
Himself - Psychiatrist
- Rudolf Hess (2006) ... Himself - Psychiatrist

Thought it was rather amusing what characters are named and that they are listed in a slightly confusing manner - had to look twice to figure out that
- Hitler (2011) ... Himself - Director: King's Centre for Military Health (as Professor Simon Wessely)
refer to two different people. :) (I would never ever make a comparison like this, especially not as a German, but still had to laugh because it is so fitting with his latest claims from "Standing up for science").

Personal Details
Alternate Names: Prof. Sir Simon Wessely | Professor Simon Wessely

Personal Quote
These are very literary gentleman. Will Self's book "Shark", and you I think wrote a book called "Women write more letters than they publish". I've written a book too! It's called "The Randomised Control Study in Psychiatry." Nobody's bloody read that one!
No joke, this is the only quote! :whistle:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6603167/

Hajnalka

MV5BNTQwMzMzMDIwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTI0MTEzNw@@._V1_.jpg

hellytheelephant

Is this a ploy by the BBC to get higher viewing figures for Doctors ?! as I'm fairly certain for many of us, a mention of ME/CFS is the ONLY reason we are going to watch it!

Having seen a few episodes in the past featuring a mental health issue, my hopes are not high for a nuanced and balanced view of our situation as sufferers.:sluggish: Said character probably just needs to 'get out more' or change his attitude and voila! all will be well:bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head::bang-head:

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Doctors did a CFS episode on 4th December 2015, you can watch it here:

We had a thread about it, they did it really well. If they are returning to the subject I'm cautiously hopeful that they'll portray it as sympathetically again.

Is this a ploy by the BBC to get higher viewing figures for Doctors ?! as I'm fairly certain for many of us, a mention of ME/CFS is the ONLY reason we are going to watch it!

This is probably their main source of viewers... Every time they cover a different health issue, that whole patient population watches to see how they're being portrayed :D

ladycatlover

You will be relieved to hear you don't have to watch Doctors today :cool: as Karl's story didn't feature. :) The 4 male docs are sleeping in the woods overnight in a sweat lodge they just built, :lol: while Zara and thingy finally made it to the spa where they're doing some course or other about being nicer people :rofl: after nearly being chased by a bull (or cow?) :eek: then held prisoner by a bagpipe playing Scotsman :eek:... So I don't think there'll be more on Karl till after Easter. I'll prob keep an eye on it tomorrow though, just in case! :vomit: :meh: