• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My meeting with The Minister for Health, Simon Harris, TD

Great stuff @BurnA and thanks.

He's well aware of M.E. as I've been in touch with that ministry for a number of years about M.E. and have had emails from him and his predecessors - all circular, mind you, and almost word-for-word identical :-(
Great to know that somebody actually managed to *speak with him.

Did Minister Harris get back to you, seeing as it's well over 4 months?

Thanks for update.

Just to let you and others know that we're holding a #MillionsMissing demonstration outside of the Dáil on Thursday May 11th from 11am to 3pm in an effort to get our government to recognise the neglect of M.E. patients here and what's needed. It's part of the worldwide #MillionsMissing campaign.

Would appreciate if people can let us know if you can come along. (Probably should have started a new thread for this, sorry. I'm new to participating here).

Sorry, was waiting for an update before posting again, thanks for the interest, I will post here as soon as I have more news. I do have an appointment planned but no date confirmed yet due to his ever changing schedule.

So i have an update of sorts.

I didn't mention it before, but along with my meeting with the Minister, I also met with another TD in my constinuency. We agreed to write a letter to the minister calling for CBT and GET to be removed from the HSE website. I was basically following a two pronged approach because I knew meetings with the minister are hard to get and I don't like waiting!

Today we got a reply which sated :

'The HSE has temporarily removed the content relating to ME/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome from the "Health A to Z" on HSE.ie. The content will be reviewed by the appropriate health professionals and re-published once that review is complete.'

Progess of sorts I would say.

JoanDublin

So i have an update of sorts.

I didn't mention it before, but along with my meeting with the Minister, I also met with another TD in my constinuency. We agreed to write a letter to the minister calling for CBT and GET to be removed from the HSE website. I was basically following a two pronged approach because I knew meetings with the minister are hard to get and I don't like waiting!

Today we got a reply which sated :

Progess of sorts I would say.

That is bloody great news! The fact that they took it down is just brilliant. I cannot see them putting it back up as is. They will have to make some changes. Good timing for the demo on May 11th! In the meantime I am attaching an Info Pack just completed this morning which will be sent to all TDs today so if you want to send one to Stephen Donnelly feel absolutely free to do so! Well done

Attachments

• ME Info Pack #MillionsMissingDublin .pdf
    389.7 KB · Views: 15
That is bloody great news!
Thanks, yes I thought so too but didn't want to get too excited, the review could still be disappointing but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

So if anyone is on twitter and would like to say thankyou to Stephen, his twitter handle is @DonnellyStephen

If you're not on twitter but would like to say thanks his website is stephendonnelly.ie and contact info is on there.

Even if you are not from Ireland, I am sure he would appreciate a thankyou from around the world.
If politicians realise that their work is really appreciated it will help with future endeavours.

BTW, I can't be sure that the Minister is actually aware of this news because the response letter came directly from HSE. However, the original letter from Stephen would have been addressed to the Minister, who presumably instructed HSE to reply directly.