• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

1st International Workshop on XMRV

lansbergen

http://www.virology-education.com/index.cfm/t/1st_International_Workshop_on_XMRV/vid/1FF10297-0DC4-5841-64634A68A3EC3EF1

1st International Workshop on XMRV

Dear Colleague,
It is with great pleasure that we announce a new initiative in the field of XMRV research, the "1st International Workshop on XMRV: Pathogenesis, Clinical and Public Health Implications". This workshop will be held on September 7-9 this year on East-Coast USA.

The objective of this scientific conference is to assemble an international group of scientists, physicians and epidemiologists to present and discuss, in a public forum, the latest XMRV studies on a range of topics including virus-host interactions, cell type tropism, mode of transmission, animal models and the efficacy of current antiretroviral drugs.

This meeting will offer an interactive setting where the latest developments in the field can be presented in order to evaluate the state of our knowledge, address controversies, and develop an understanding between experts that will help direct future research.

This workshop will be co-sponsored by the NIH and will be organized by Virology Education.

We would highly value your attendance at this workshop and look forward to welcoming you at this very important XMRV Workshop in September 2010.

Kind regards,

The Organizing Committee

Charles Boucher, Erasmus University, The Netherlands
John Coffin, National Cancer Institute, Frederick, MD, USA
Stewart Le Grice, NIH, National Cancer Institute, Frederick, MD, USA
Robert Silverman, Cleveland Clinic, Ohio, USA
Jonathan Stoye, National Institute for Medical Research, UK

Good to see a person from the virology department of the university of Rotterdam is in the committee.

Would be a good development if that lab would get engaged in XMRV research in th Netherlands.

oerganix

This workshop will be co-sponsored by the NIH and will be organized by Virology Edu

"This workshop will be co-sponsored by the NIH and will be organized by Virology Education. "

That is good news, indeed! Surely they can't sweep this under the rug with Coffin and Silverman involved. I just hope it is not only about XMRV in prostate cancer.

What ever happened to that study of those who apparently got CFIDS after a blood transfusion?

Adam

I feel so H A P P Y right now I think I might go out and adopt an orphaned Haggis...

and call it Joy.

:innocent1:

You the man.

Alexia

I'm happy to see some Dutch there, it will be great for the Netherlands if there will be somebody who really takes XMRV seriously!

dsdmom

What ever happened to that study of those who apparently got CFIDS after a blood transfusion?

Not sure...I had emailed my info to the WPI and Judy a while ago and never heard from anybody. When I was with Klimas last month she wanted all my info for a post-transfusion study but who knows if they are using my info or if it is really happening or what.

I, for one, would liek to know if I got XMRV from a transfusion. I have yet to be tested, but I did get sick immediately following several transfusions so who knows.

CBS

???

What's everyone so excited about? I'm sure that only reason the NIH is sponsoring this is so that Coffin and Silvernman will have a forum to apologize to the authors of the three negative EU studies and to Bill Reeves. Apparently the NIH is planning on an annual public flogging (not really sure why Coffin needs to apologize but Silverman, what a whack job - :eek:).

XMRV is NOT going away!

R

Robin

I'm sure that only reason the NIH is sponsoring this is so that Coffin and Silvernman will have a forum to apologize to the authors of the three negative EU studies and to Bill Reeves. Apparently the NIH is planning on an annual public flogging

Huh? I'm totally lost. Where is this coming from?

CBS

Huh? I'm totally lost. Where is this coming from?

Hi Robin,

Sorry, I thought that the sarcasm dripping off of every word would be obvious. I just don't get the rush to discredit the Science paper. Question it - absolutely; proceed cautiously - I insist, but there seemed to be a measure of rejoicing, or perhaps it was relief by some - not necessarily all - of the early authors at the negative findings and those early papers were so incredibly rushed.

An Annual(?) conference sponsored by the NIH with Silverman and Coffin at the helm. A year ago, suggesting that such a conference would take place would have gotten you committed (or sectioned for our UK friends) as having erroneous illness beliefs.

V99

CFIDS Association have this on their facebook page.

Suzanne D. Vernon, PhD, will serve on the Scientific Committee and as a session chair

hvs

John Coffin, National Cancer Institute, Frederick, MD, USA
Stewart Le Grice, NIH, National Cancer Institute, Frederick, MD, USA
Robert Silverman, Cleveland Clinic, Ohio, USA

I believe in medical science parlance these are called the "big gunz."

fred

The game is afoot
"What's everyone so excited about?"

What's everyone so excited about?

Quite.

Stoye was a co-author of the second UK paper that didn't detect XMRV in ME. The WPI letter to Myra McClure states that the WPI found XMRV in Stoye's (i.e. Kerr's) samples. Nothwithstanding that the letter highlighting this anomoly was addressed to Prof McClure, he will be aware of his public 'outing' and has not made a public reply. What will his stance be as a member of this committee? That XMRV does or does not exist in ME or that he just doesn't know right now?

And why is Silverman sharing a platform with a man who refuses to use the methods outlined in the Science paper which the former co-authored? Old boys' network, anyone?

The fact that the NIH is sponsoring this makes me nervous. The CFSAC seems to be fighting for its life/its mandate, makes limited reference to XMRV on its 10 May agenda, and yet its 'holding company' is sponsoring a workshop on the virus?

Vernon is a session chair. Well, let's not reinvent a 1,000 post discussion thread here.

Who is Virology Education **, other than being a Dutch based medical education company? And who is Charles Boucher?

And why is Judy Mikovits not on this committee? She is the person who isolated XMRV in blood, found it in ME, and was the lead researcher of the Science paper. Doesn't she even get a 'session chair'?

Prove me cynical, but this smacks of highjacking to me.

** EDIT: Virology Education is a company that organises medical conferences and publishes a journal called "Reviews in Antiviral Therapy".

[Quote starts]

Since 2006, Reviews in Antiviral Therapy has been providing clinicians and researchers with conference reports and complete abstract books from leading international workshops on the clinical management of viral disease and related topics.

Reviews in Antiviral Therapy provides researchers and clinicians with a comprehensive overview of new data presented at international abstract-driven workshops on HIV, Hepatitis, Co-infection and Tuberculosis.

This journal is an important and valuable asset for those who wish to stay abreast with the many developments in these rapidly expanding fields but lack the time to attend all topic-related conferences.

The editors of the journal are:
Jonathan M. Schapiro, MD, & Charles A.B. Boucher, MD, PHD

http://www.virology-education.com/index.cfm/t/Journal/vid/0945949C-17A4-A597-D96B70739F0F4525

CBS

Fred,

I can appreciate your wariness. I just want to make clear that it wasn't my intent to imply that I don't trust Coffin or Silverman, I do. As for Kerr, he's done too much for CFS for me to question his motives at this point. For myself, the jury is still out on many of the other EU co-authors.

What I found galling was that some authors of the EU studies claimed that they were rushing these to publication for my good. For a select few, the rush seemed to be more about shielding themselves from the truth of the horror that they have spent the last two decades perpetuating and upon which they had built their careers.