• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Diagnosed with pneumonia

Cheesus

I'm so sorry to hear that, Erin. Are you being treated at home or in hospital? How long is your course of antibiotics?

erin

Sent home Tuesday, stayed 1 night only. It isn't 'so bad' apparently whatever means. Antibiotics are 7 days but I was sick with them last night called the hospital, I should've taken them morning, after breakfast.
I feel terrible, though it's not fully spread the both lungs. Dr could not see anything in the xray, lab results were not too bad either he said. But he was not satisfied as he was hearing 'a sound' so he sent me for a mri revealing that I have it. Its an early stage, caught early. Still it feels horrible. Pain in my back is bearable to a degree but I feel exhausted and struggling making sense in general. I have a very funny taste in my mouth from the very beginning. Metallic and soapy at he same time. The fever lowered now which is a relief.

erin

Any tips how to make it go away asap?

I also feel very down, I had suicidal thought last night better today though.
Unfortunately my husband is not with me, I was visiting my mum and she is devastated. Poor old lady is looking after me so well. But I feel so sad so negative. Everything makes me tearful. This not me normally. Is this something to do with pneumonia in general?

Cheesus

I'm sorry, Erin, but I don't know how you could make it go away faster. You are lucky to have caught it early, and I would wager you will be feeling a lot better within a few days as long as you continue taking the antibiotics.

It could be the pneumonia or the antibiotics that are making you feel so down and tearful. Have you been able to speak with your husband? I imagine you must be going through a really awful time right now, but soon enough you will be able to look back on it with relief that it has gone away and that you managed to get through it. Just hang on in there for a few days and things will start looking up.

Crux

Yucky news , Erin ,

I wonder, did the Docs prescribe a corticosteroid to aid the treatment ? It sure helps me with the lung inflammation I get. Also helps with pain that I get from - anything.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/mi/2013/865635/

I know it sounds goofy to recommend soup, but, the gelatin in it can help joint pain. Whenever my lungs are inflamed , I add cayenne, ginger, or even horseradish to my food or soup.

I'm sending healing thoughts to you -

mrquasar

I have a very funny taste in my mouth from the very beginning. Metallic and soapy at he same time.

I had the same strange taste after taking an anti-fungal, and I have reason to think it was mild liver inflammation. If I were you, I'd read up on the listed side effects of the antibiotic you're taking and see if the taste perversion is listed. Antibiotics are very powerful drugs and can be very hard on your body. But obviously you have to keep taking it because you have pneumonia. In any case, be sure to take a probiotic after you've finished the antibiotic. The antibiotic will wipe out the good bacteria in your gut and you will need to replenish those to avoid future potential problems.

Stay hydrated and rest, rest, rest!

P.S. - I'm not a medical professional so these are just my suggestions!

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Hi Erin, I have had pneumonia three times so I know how awful it can be. If you aren't tolerating the antibiotic then go back to the Dr and ask them to change it.

Feeling down and weepy etc is very normal when you have a nasty infection going on and will pass. Im afraid you cant hurry recovery from pneumonia. You need a lot of rest, so find something you can do while laying or sitting in bed such as radio or colouring etc if you can.

Pretty soon you will be feeling a lot better xx

erin

Cheesus, Crux, mrquasar, Valentijn, antherder, justy, hellytheelephant, thank you all for the replies.

The dr was good, I mention that I have me, he understood. I also mentioned antibiotic is bad for my digestion. He totally understood and he said he can not at all tolerate them. So he gave me mild antibiotic, Avelox. I called him that it made me sick he said stop it for a day and call me how you feel. I did that and I'm not sickly now.

I believe I also have a virus at the side with pneumonia. My mum, auntie and cousin all had a same nausea, sickness and rumbling digestive and a cough. But none of them had fever and fatigue. Apparently there is a virus epidemic around. All of our stomach problems got better this morning. I am back to the antibiotic and I feel ok. I have a low key fever but my chest and back still sore and caughing.

Metallic taste was so bad, that's gone too and the horrible feeling is away. I never felt that way in my entire life. First time I realize what really depression is like. I had an urge for killing my self first time. I strongly believe it was chemical and got something to do with the metallic taste.

I haven't had any infection, cold, virus, etc since 2014. I don't know what has changed since then.

Thank you all for caring.

erin

One more thing to add. I have pain around left breast bone costal margin area when pressed. Feels like swollen. I mentioned this to the dr on the phone. He didn't say anything about it. I'm guessing this is normal in pneumonia. It actually getting less painful. Only when pressed though. I will see him on Monday will definitely mention it.

Has anyone who had pneumonia experienced such pain?

erin

Fever dropped, still caughing but less so. Dr still could hear funny noises in my lungs. He said I'm not any better but not worse either. He prescribed another course of the same antibiotics. He suggested another mri after 3 weeks. To see if the cloudy bits are away.
I'm still at mum's, was suppose to travel back last Tuesday but I stayed because of the pneumonia. He says I can travel. It's only an hour flight. I'm nervous but I need to go. Not being at home is not helping me.
Guys, wish me luck for tomorrow I have an hour flight and an hour drive to both airports.

Last edited:

erin

I traveled an hour flight and 3 hours bus and taxi from and to airports. Panicked at times, very short of temper and grumpy I was. It was lovely to be back home where I stay in summers.

I was good yesterday and the day before. But today I feel so low, no energy and felt depressed again. Still on antibiotics. I have very mild discomfort in my chest, no pain, no fever, less sweat at night but feel absolutely drained.

How long pneumonia lasts on a person with ME? Its lovely sunny out there,I have my lovely kittens waiting to play but I'm bed bound. I can not take it anymore so annoyed.

It's been 2 weeks that I'm bed bound. :ill:

erin

I searched about the antibiotic I take it has flourine in it. No wonder I have suicidal thoughts. It's basically poison! I only have 4 doses left. Don't know what to do...

Butydoc

Cheesus, Crux, mrquasar, Valentijn, antherder, justy, hellytheelephant, thank you all for the replies.

The dr was good, I mention that I have me, he understood. I also mentioned antibiotic is bad for my digestion. He totally understood and he said he can not at all tolerate them. So he gave me mild antibiotic, Avelox. I called him that it made me sick he said stop it for a day and call me how you feel. I did that and I'm not sickly now.

I believe I also have a virus at the side with pneumonia. My mum, auntie and cousin all had a same nausea, sickness and rumbling digestive and a cough. But none of them had fever and fatigue. Apparently there is a virus epidemic around. All of our stomach problems got better this morning. I am back to the antibiotic and I feel ok. I have a low key fever but my chest and back still sore and caughing.

Metallic taste was so bad, that's gone too and the horrible feeling is away. I never felt that way in my entire life. First time I realize what really depression is like. I had an urge for killing my self first time. I strongly believe it was chemical and got something to do with the metallic taste.

I haven't had any infection, cold, virus, etc since 2014. I don't know what has changed since then.

Thank you all for caring.
Hi Erin,

Unfortunately Avelox is not a mild antibiotic. It is similar to levaquin, a fluoroquinolone. Many members have reported very negative symptoms form this class of antibiotics and some have claimed their CFS/ME started with use of this class of antibiotics. I would strongly consider asking your doctor to switch to a different class of antibiotic since there isn't a culture which says this is the only antibiotic that should work.

Best,
Gary

Last edited:

Crux

I wasn't very sure of the negative effects of fluoride until I started drinking extra cups of green tea, of all things. It's high in it.

Our water is already poisoned with it.

I've started having some iodine daily - keep slacking off on it. Seaweed is really high in it, as is some fish like cod.

My hair was falling out again, now better. I think it's helping my lungs.

:hug:

Last edited: