• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Minutes of UK CFS/ME Research Collaborative Executive Board Meeting 21 March 2017

AndyPR

I've replicated the full minutes here, original available at https://www.actionforme.org.uk/uploads/images/2017/03/DRAFT_Minutes_CMRC_21.3.17.pdf
Present:
Stephen Holgate (SH), Sonya Chowdhury (SC), Jan McKendrick (JM), Esther Crawley (EC), Gabrielle Murphy (GM), Mark Edwards (MEd), Mark Edwards EMIG (ME), Charles Shepherd (CS), Mark Jones UCB (MJ), Mike Dalrymple (MRCT), Ed Sykes (ES), James Brodie GWPharma (JB)

Joined via phone:
Claire Kidgell (CK), Julia Newton (JN)

Apologies:
Allison Wallace (AW), Des Walsh (DW), Neha Issar-Brown (NIB), Raliza Stoyanova (RS), Hugh Perry (HP),
Carmine Pariante (CP), Paul Little (PL), Mary Jane Willow (MJW), Zoe Gotts (ZG), Chris Ponting (CPP)

Welcome & Introductions
SH opened the meeting and welcomed members. GM was welcomed to the Board as an observer on behalf of BACME, replacing Alastair Miller.
No additional conflicts of interest were recorded.

Guests were also welcomed to the meeting and provided introductions on their interest in the illness/purpose for attending.

SC reported that MJW will be standing down from the Board due to the pending closure of AYME on 3 April 2017 and the launch of Children’s Services by Action for M.E. MJW will transfer to Action for M.E. as the
new Head of Children’s Services. Action for M.E. representation will continue to be provided by SC.

Minutes & Matters Arising
The minutes of the last meeting (16 November 2016) were approved as an accurate record of the last meeting.

Matters Arising
All actions have been completed or will be discussed as part of the main agenda. NIB will report to the Board regarding the Highlight Notice at the next meeting.

What good looks like: how to optimise the academia, charity and industry partnership
SH provided an introduction and background to the discussion. He outlined that this is an area of medical science that has been significantly neglected for many years. He would like to see a formal UK report
identifying why this considerable group of people have been ignored and why medical scientists have not wanted to get involved in this field.

An important step was made by the Institutes of Medicine (IOM) in their report published in 2015. SH recommended that colleagues read the report if they haven’t already as it reinforced the need for the illness to be mainstreamed with the recognition and focus it deserves. As a result, the NIH, has pledged a commitment with funding to set up centres of excellence with a critical mass of expertise. This demonstrates that the illness has been taken seriously by the establishment in the US.

However, this has not happened here in the UK. This perpetuates the disbelief from some medical professionals and a stand-off with the patient community, a lack of research funding and researchers and not
wishing to enter the field.

A few charities, small in comparison to other illness fields, have worked to initiate and fund research into the
illness. Things started to progress when MRC issued the Highlight Notice following a workshop in Oxford with
presentations and engagement from scientists from a range of disciplines.This resulted in five applications being funded. With that principle in mind, a group, including SH, set up the CMRC.

Besides the members, the CMRC Board includes observers from all three mainstream funders, the SMC and BACME. The focus of the CMRC is to promote collaborative effort within the field and to stimulate greater
interest from outside the field. The CMRC’s annual science conferences have been well attended and included people with M.E. and carers. A report is produced after each conference and most presentations are livestreamed (except for those including unpublished data)

One of the main challenges that continues to be addressed is that this illness, or cluster of illnesses, is a psychiatric illness, which it is not. This resulted in patients being referred to psychiatrists and there continued to be a lack of effort and research into the biological nature of the illness.

The CMRC initiated an endeavour to bring together the very best UK scientists from a range of disciplines including the omics, informatics and other areas to form an Alliance with a view to establish a well-characterised bioresource with a range of data from 12,000 participants. The grant submitted to Wellcome was unsuccessful; a grant is about to be submitted to the MRC tissue banking call. The model of getting people together to work in this way is a viable model and that is why we have
invited a broad range of guests to engage with the ambition.

The question to industry is that while recognising the percentages of people affected by this illness/cluster of illnesses, how can we better engage with industry to transform this field; not just from a funding perspective but in respect of legitimising the illness within the medical profession. This will then give a message to funders and others that this is serious and needs to be taken seriously.

ME added that in his experience, academia and industry collaboration can lead to transformation at the level
that we are looking to achieve. While it is early in respect of pharma engagement, it is never too early to start the conversation and explore potential synergies. ME posed the question of ‘what looks good to industry/MRCT and what do you feel you can collectively contribute back?’

The following themes/issues were discussed:

• There is experience in some pharma’s of working in orphan disease areas – including a focus on rare diseases. There is also strong recognition of the power of charity and patient advocacy groups to engage with regulators to develop something meaningful for patients

• How can we establish well-validated outcome measures and meaningful clinical outpoints that can lead to effective trials and therefore move to a sound development business case; what level of efficacy is required?

• Repurposing of compounds can be explored while recognising that we don’t always understand how some compounds work

• You can’t not believe patients if they tell you something works; there must be something in their experience and it should be listened to

• There is considerable value in a non-hypothesis or hypothesis-generating approach

• Importance of developing biomarkers and stratifying the illness (or illnesses) as a starting point

• Collaborations that progress and succeed need a real focus; guests felt that there is a real focus with the CMRC and MEGA work

• Cross-fertilisation across disciplines and fields is important

• The more clinical information that you can collate the better

• The informatics and the power of bringing what is needed is significant to achieve genuine stratification with predictive markers that you can then properly test

• Early biomarkers of what recovery looks like is important alongside of outcomes and how these can be brought together

• We need to find drugs that we can take early into clinic (which are also safe) and then identify how we can take those trials forward

• Establishing the right tests to avoid false patterns is critical and there is a lot of expertise in this methodology from other illness fields

• There was a strong message from industry guests about the importance of a bioresource of the MEGA level as a critical starting point

• The role of microbiomes especially given the experience of many people whose illness starts with infection/gut infection

• There could be biomarkers of the cause or of the effect

• Consideration of faeces samples within the bioresource

• This illness is massive in respect of disease burden; it is not a rare disease

• Importance of building meaningful collaborations which include charities alongside industry, research and clinical practice

MEGA Update
EC provided an update on the latest application which has been developed within two weeks once permission to apply from Bristol University was received. The MEGA team has been working on the
application which will be submitted to the MRC tissue banking call imminently.
This application will be for sample collection only due to the nature of the call. Analysis, including GWAS (genome wide association study,) will be required as a second stage.

The Patient Advisory Group met yesterday evening with EC and SC’s colleague. There has been considerable input and the design of the study has changed as a result.

Conference 2017
SH shared his experience of the importance of patient input in driving the research agenda within the arthritis field and reinforced the importance of part of the conference being open for anyone to attend. It was also
highlighted that researchers repeatedly ask for confidential space to enable them to share results and consider new collaborations. It was agreed that the conference would continue to provide a day that was
open with most of the speakers presenting and a second day that is closed for researchers to explore new collaborations.

SC presented the budget for the conference and provided an update on the programme which is now almost complete. Tickets will go on sale in April with an earlybird discount.

SC left the meeting.

Action Plan Update

ES has been working on this and asked how we reached consensus over content. There are two options to register disagreement - we can do this for each item that we disagree on or as a header for the page. EC
suggested that a sub group meets for 2 hours before the next meeting and goes through all the issues so that there was consensus.

It was agreed that EC, GM and the three charities would be invited to attend this meeting.

Funders’ Meeting
Esther described who was attending the funders meeting and the purpose. SH gave his apologies but asked that funding for the conference is put on the agenda

AOB
None

user9876

I think there is something quite strange in Holgate's piece near the beginning where he seems completely unaware of worldwide efforts a part from the IoM and NIH which as big organisations he probably feels he can't ignore. I guess what seems worrying is that I don't think he is aware of the research that is going on and it looks like the CMRC is existing in its own private bubble. At one point he talks about repurposing drugs "Repurposing of compounds can be explored while recognising that we don’t always understand how some compounds work" but I believe there are some attempts at this in the US as well as things like Rituximab but he seems to want to start new efforts rather than build on the existing work.

I don't think he understands why patients don't trust him either.

I noticed this comment
How can we establish well - validated outcome measures and meaningful clinical outpoints that can lead to effective trials and
therefore move to a sound development business case; what level of efficacy is required?
Without acknowledging what went wrong with PACE this is hard. Also PACE have interesting data in terms of questionnaire answers and the 6mwt and step test that could help gain more understanding and keeping these data sets closed slows things further.

He also talks about their 'bioresource' but fails to talk about the bio bank.

I think the idea of just randomly collecting lots of samples without a greater understanding of the disease could mislead. If it were me I would have a project of collecting lots of samples regularly from a smaller number of patients to understand variation.

Sean

One of the main challenges that continues to be addressed is that this illness, or cluster of illnesses, is a psychiatric illness, which it is not. This resulted in patients being referred to psychiatrists and there continued to be a lack of effort and research into the biological nature of the illness.
And yet Esther Crawley, one of the worst offenders in the psych camp, is still involved in this advisory group. :meh:

Still, it is progress of sorts, I guess.

trishrhymes

Esther Crawley appears to be the principal investigator for this study, based at Bristol University where she is a professor of paediatrics.

She not only uses such broad definitions of CFS/ME that she includes any child who self reports as tired for 3months, but she also describes PEM as something like fatigue after activity.
Then she treats them with sleep hygiene and activity management, her term for GET. She has wasted millions of funding on completely unscientific trials including SMILE, MAGENTA and FITNET.

She describes PACE as good science and says kids who don't get better have treatment refusal syndrome.

And she attaches her name to an endless stream of extremely poor quality small studies, presumably carried out by her students, that treat the biopsychosocial model as fact and make outrageous deductions about parents perpetuating their children's illness.

Now she wants us to believe that she is the best person to set up a biobank, duplicating the already up and running highly respected UK ME biobank.

Even if the PAG manage to get a better definition including PEM properly defined, i do not trust Crawley or Holgate to run such a project.

The requirements for 12000 people seem to be entirely driven by genomics, yet other genomics projects have used more like 2000 patients and comparison data of healthy controls and other illnesses could come from existing resources. Genomics seems to me to be eminently suitable for international collaboration with other biobank, no need to reinvent the wheel.

Other omics do not need, and could not get the funding to use, such huge samples.

I cannot support MEGA, while it ignores the existence of the existing biobank, has Crawley running it and aims for such a huge sample that will take years to collect, yet still excludes the severely effected.

I hope the MRC will be alerted to the OMEGA petition and the existence of the UK biobank.

Edit: sorry to go over old ground. I'm aware that lots of new people have joined PR recently and may not be fully aware of the background to why some of us oppose MEGA, as i wasn't until a few months ago. Apologies to those who have educated me about this and know it all better than i do. I just couldn't let this bland report of the meeting pass without comment!

Last edited:

Daisymay

And yet Esther Crawley, one of the worst offenders in the psych camp, is still involved in this advisory group. :meh:

Still, it is progress of sorts, I guess.

Well yes and no, it comes over to me as being rather duplicitous, trying to fool outsiders that it is all kosher whilst still having Crawley in a leading role and Ed Sykes, senior press manager and head of mental health and neuroscience at the SMC, and representatives from BACME, AfME, AyME etc so its not exactly a bunch of people who you would trust to be on the side of genuine biomedical research and the care of patients interests.

The phrase "speaking with a forked tongue " comes to mind.

Jan

It made me feel physically sick reading this. I do not believe these people have our best interests at heart or that anything will ever improve under this CMRC. It needs ripping up and starting from scratch, as does mega. We have waited for decades for things to change, but change we aren't going to get. Is it entirely impossible for patients to have some input into who sits on boards representing their illness?

They have taken snippets from other people's work to make it sound like they know what they are talking about which is laughable. I presume none of them apart from SC attend research conferences other than their own. What have they achieved in the last 10 years? Now they are playing catch up with the rest of the world whilst still wishing to keep the BPS school at the helm and presumably in the SMC.

They state catagorically that ME is not a mental illness, but still expect us to accept a lead researcher who believes and promotes the BPS version of this illness. It seems she will be getting the lion's share of MRC funding yet again. They are still funding and churning out this garbage week after week, there seems no end to it.

I don't know how they encourage researchers into the field, they have either refused to fund them, or scared them off by insisting the illness is psychosomatic. They do not admit that the problem of this illness being categorized at a mental health problem is due entirely to the all the garbage research agreed by them such as PACE and EC's endless studies.

The majority of patients have no faith in Bacme, Afme, or EC and SH, and I wonder how many have confidence the current CMRC set up will result in any change for the better?

I vote no confidence.

Last edited:

boombachi

This is just my opinion but I noticed Professor Holgate made a lot of points that seem to be in response to the criticisms so many people in this site and advocates in the community have been raising. He sounds to me like someone who has heard some of those criticisms and is trying almost too hard to point them out. I notice the same pattern on the Mega website.

What is missing for me is the aknowledgement of harm that has been perpetuated and aknowledgement that they should have been listening a long time ago.

slysaint

I'm aware that lots of new people have joined PR recently and may not be fully aware of the background to why some of us oppose MEGA

For anyone unfamiliar with any of the issues/concerns raised; you can find most of what you need to know on #mepedia.
eg Esther Crawley
http://me-pedia.org/wiki/Esther_Crawley
"
Esther Crawley is Professor in Child Health at the University of Bristol in the United Kingdom. She is a proponent of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and Graded Exercise Therapy (GET) as treatments for paediatric and adult Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

She is vice-chair of the UK CFS/ME Research Collaborative (CMRC) and leads the paediatric centre for children and young people with ME/CFS at the Royal United Hospital in Bath. (Previously at the Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases in Bath). Her work has been funded by the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) and Action for ME.[1].

She was on the guideline development group for the NICE guidelines published in August 2007 and the Medical Research Council CFS/ME expert working group (2009-2010).

She has published studies in the Journal of Psychosomatic Research [2] and collaborates with Peter White of Queen Mary University of London. Prof Crawley is the Lead Medical Advisor at the British charity Association of Young People with ME (AYME) having replaced Dr Nigel Speight in 2009.

Since 2006, Prof Crawley has been awarded £2.3 million in grants by various bodies to study ME/CFS."

that's just for starters..........

boombachi

"This application will be for sample collection only due to the nature of the call.".........is this urine sample collection? shouldn't it be 'call of nature'? or is it over the phone?:redface:

I want to see "call of nature sample collection" on a funding application. (my emojiis keep goin in the wrong bit but I am laughing here)

slysaint

"The Patient Advisory Group met yesterday evening with EC and SC’s colleague. There has been considerable input and the design of the study has changed as a result."

What design? Didn't think anything had been decided yet(?) Changed how? I thought they were waiting until they got funding? Do they have a Steering Group/Committee yet............or is this now just EC?

They still have to discuss funding for the 2017 Conference but "Tickets will go on sale in April with an earlybird discount"

woopidoo

Molly98

This is just my opinion but I noticed Professor Holgate made a lot of points that seem to be in response to the criticisms so many people in this site and advocates in the community have been raising. He sounds to me like someone who has heard some of those criticisms and is trying almost too hard to point them out. I notice the same pattern on the Mega website.

What is missing for me is the aknowledgement of harm that has been perpetuated and aknowledgement that they should have been listening a long time ago.

Agreed.

What is also missing, or I have never seen address by Holgate or any other member of MEGA is Crawley's input and position.

This seemed to be the biggest factor as to why people opposed MEGA. Thousands of patients wanted an answer to their concerns.

Our concerns about Crawley have not only not been acknowledged they have been totally ignored. Has Holgate answered anywhere about Crawley's involvement and patient's anxiety about this?

There has been no open discussion between MEGA and the patient community on this fundamental issue.

To claim they are listening to patients or have our best interests at heart is pure spin and marketing to get what they want.

In my opinion, the driving force behind MEGA is not concern for patients, nor science, it is about Crawley's future career, an attempt to cleverly reposition herself, and guarantee funding to keep her university position over the forthcoming years. This will always be MEGA's number one priority. If this were not the case they would have heeded patients concerns and dropped Crawley.

As the Patients on the PAG are there to represent the interests of the patient community, I would really like to know has this fundamental issue been addressed? Has the views of patients on this been put forward assertively, has there been proper debate and discussion around this?
If so, what was the outcome and how was it arrived at? If not I would like to see the patient representatives forcing this issue before MEGA goes forward, otherwise, how can the patients on PAG be seen to be acting in the interests of the patient community, this issue can not continue to be ignored.

Last edited:

Molly98

They have taken snippets from other people's work to make it sound like they know what they are talking about which is laughable. I presume none of them apart from SC attend research conferences other than their own. What have they achieved in the last 10 years? Now they are playing catch up with the rest of the world whilst still wishing to keep the BPS school at the helm and presumably in the SMC.
Yes, I would like to know how many of them are going to be attending the IiME conference?

I think virtually all the top ME researchers and clinicians will be in attendance discussing ground breaking research from around the world.

If they are not going to an event such as this in their home country then the patient representative on PAG need to be asking why not and pushing this issue again.
It is not in the interest of the patients that they seek to research that they do not attend such conferences and do not collaborate and work with the global ME research and medical community. Especially if they are claiming to be 'bio' focused.

At present they do exist in a bubble, I wish that bubble would burst and the whole thing be abandoned and something new which does collaborate and does recognise patients concerns be formed.

AndyPR

One bit that got me the most was this
An important step was made by the Institutes of Medicine (IOM) in their report published in 2015. SH recommended that colleagues read the report if they haven’t already as it reinforced the need for the illness to be mainstreamed with the recognition and focus it deserves. As a result, the NIH, has pledged a commitment with funding to set up centres of excellence with a critical mass of expertise. This demonstrates that the illness has been taken seriously by the establishment in the US.
The fact that the Chairman of the UK CFS/ME Research Collaborative Executive has to suggest to board members that they read the NIH report is laughable - it just goes to show the level of engagement with (or lack of) the wider research community outside of the room that the meeting took place in.

Jan

Even if they do read the report, how does that tie in with PACE being a great, great trial?

Either you believe the IOM report, OR , you think PACE is a great trial, and continue to do PACE type studies on children.

Reading the report and completely ignoring it is pretty pointless.

If you do believe the report, PACE type studies on children should be suspended immediately.

ukxmrv

If he reads your post @boombachi I can imagine him thinking "Bastard patients, they are never satisfied".

That's the problem with his attitude all along. He didn't realise straight off that there was a body of educated and informed patients who had a point of view in opposition to those around him. That the patients were in fact right.

We patients were always the problem, sending hate mail, demanding biomedical research, criticising PACE and "frightening off" researchers.

Back then he could blame us, stick his head in the sand and hand the money to Crawley.

Now the world is changing and he is slowly realising that all along that we are genuine people with genuine points of view that have had our lives and health damaged by a lack of proper medical research.

My opinion is that it is too little, too late from the MRC. They need to get rid of Crawley and other impediments to progress. It may be that the rest of the world is dragging them kicking and screaming into a changed viewpoint but they are still far too entrenched in the old one to make a real difference to patients lives.

Cinders66

My issue is we have Holgate, the charities along with the 3 big funders MRC, NIHR and welcome representatives all sit at these meetings, when they all attend, and remark at the enormity of the situation "this isn't rare", acknowledge the financial costs to our supposedly struggling country, acknowledge this isn't psychiatric but is being approached and viewed so but don't seem to have the power or bite or understanding or focus to actually set up a turn around situation. The ME expert group has been meeting since 2007/8, surely over that time the reasons why the field isn't respected or advancing in uk could have been explored and action plans drawn up beyond a yearly conference and need of reports looking into the situation. Why can the USA turn around (albeit with room for improvement) in 2 years and us still thrashing around stuck, under resourced and failed since the 2002 CMO report. Is there a total absence of something similar to the central direction and power that the NIH and CDC have in uk?

If this Situation was a floundering business there would be action committees, reviews and then an action plan to bring a turn around within a specific time frame. This was all possible in the uk, even with the mess of a CFS umbrella and PACE narrative wasn't it? I assume, although the minutes aren't written to be understood by patients, that pharmaceutical companies etc were brought in to see how they can get involved more and speed up research etc but it all seems ineffectual and amateurish. That's why I think a centrally organised inquiry into the general handling of ME is needed, as every bit of the picture influences everything else, so you can't have one wing of the health service trying to approach the illness as MUS with behavioural treatments and it taught at medical school like that and then on the research front people bemoaning why the illness isn't capable of arousing serious interest....

I could write a short report of what's happened in uk since the CMO report and it wouldn't be a cheery read. I could also write about the consequences of that for the severely ill. I still think , if everyone's concerned about lack of research interest that the quickest way to bring in some blood is offer up more ring fenced state funding. I'd be interested to know Holgates solutions to why things haven't turned around in uk like they have USA.

Last edited: