• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What helps your vibrating buzzing electrical symptoms? Meds? Herbs? What triggers them?

i have had strange electrical sensations off and on for 8 yrs. It varies and happens when I am awake and when I awake from sleep. The sensations vary from feeling like my body is in a fluorescent bulb to gentle psychodelic waves of vibration traveling down my body to straight out terror and panic attacks w/ the inside of my scalp tingeling. These episodes seem to come in groups, and then I won't have any for a while. Supplements and vitamins set it off sometimes.

I had no idea that anyone else had this until joining this forum a few weeks ago. My husband thought I was nuts and a hypochondriac.

How do you treat or lessen your neuro buzzing?

Plum

Internal vibration for me happens when I do too much. I feel it in my chest like I am humming and then it goes down through my legs. It can also happen when I wake up - because I haven't had enough rest and sleep. It will continue into the night if it's been there when I've gone to bed.
If I don't listen to this symptom and keep going I will then collapse and be unable to move for hours.

I've never tried taking anything for it.

Invisible Woman

I found these lessened with magnesium. If I push my luck they come back though with a range of other neuro issues like stinging or numb patches.

In fact I've been playing with a couple of different wrist work heart rate monitors and I was wondering why the buzzing symptom was so much worse on my left arm. Then I realized I was triggering the vibration alert for heart rate zones on the device, but ignoring them as just a symptom! :rolleyes:

moblet

Unknown Quantity
With the technologies available today this kind of thing is something I would have expected neurologists to be all over by 2017, but I'm not going to start on that topic...

My suggestions are:

Environmental

Minimise your exposure to electric fields and electromagnetic fields and radiation. If like most of us your home is dotted with AC outlets, avoid spending too much time right next to outlets or the wiring within the walls. Don't use wifi or wireless devices that transmit constantly (traditional remote controls and infrequent transmitters like wireless doorbells are fine). Don't carry your cellphone on your person when not absolutely necessary.

Experiment with electrically earthing (grounding) yourself, especially while resting. This can include going barefoot outside, buying off-the-shelf earthing products, or making your own earthing products if you have the skills and basic electrical knowledge. There have been discussions of earthing on this site.

I find that keeping my body cool is critical with these kinds of symptoms. Given that you don't identify as living in a cool part of the world wearing a cooling vest might help if the same applies to you.

Herbs

Cannabis seems to be the go-to herb for systemic neurological issues, except for the possible legal consequences of going there. It's more effective (and efficient with respect to quantity required) ingested rather than inhaled.

Practitioners

While the field of neurology remains asleep at the wheel the only practitioners able to recognise that your nervous system is in difficulty will be those with highly-developed palpation skills (i.e. those who can feel it with their hands). Included in this group are practitioners of manual medicine (e.g. osteopaths, chiropractors) and Japanese styles of acupuncture (e.g. Toyohari, for historical reasons I won't bore you with here). How much they'll be able to help you is another matter, but they'll agree that something's wrong and perhaps even be able to put a label on it (e.g. Traditional Chinese Medicine has a diagnosis of "internal wind").

The top of the tree when it comes to palpation skills, effective intervention, and labels that are derived from Western science and medicine is cranial osteopathy. Cranial osteopaths recognise and can treat numerous phenomena that may or may not be in play for you but could definitely drive your symptoms, such as nerve facilitation and what they call the Primary Respiratory Mechanism. In your country they are generally also medical doctors.

Other Interventions

A thermograph could well show abnormalities. Whether a doctor would know what to do with it is another matter, although it might help to convince your husband.

If there are specific sites of neurological craziness then quadrapolar magnets can help dampen it. The trick is figuring out where to locate the magnets (and by extension, exactly which magnets you need). If you have joints in your spine that are especially stiff or spongy when prodded they'd be good places to start.

moblet

Unknown Quantity
Forgot to mention that you may also be able to influence your symptoms significantly by "meditating" with them, i.e. lying still with as little enrivonmental disturbance as possible, "tuning in" to the activity in your body and seeing if you can smooth it out. E.g. when you tune in you might detect that certain activity is "bouncing around" within a certain area and unable to resolve itself because it can't flow away from that site. You might be able to open a pathway for the activity to escape, allowing the symptom to ease or at least diffuse itself.

Forgot to mention that you may also be able to influence your symptoms significantly by "meditating" with them, i.e. lying still with as little enrivonmental disturbance as possible, "tuning in" to the activity in your body and seeing if you can smooth it out. E.g. when you tune in you might detect that certain activity is "bouncing around" within a certain area and unable to resolve itself because it can't flow away from that site. You might be able to open a pathway for the activity to escape, allowing the symptom to ease or at least diffuse itself.
Interesting. Along time ago I decided that I would embrace it, when it was happening, instead of trying to fight it. Embracing excepting it takes some of the fear out of it.So this is kind of an extension of that.

These have been common symptoms for me for years, and they vary quite a bit. Sometimes they're pretty extreme -- flowing all through the body (including "brain zaps" similar to those from SNRI withdrawal) -- and other times they're limited to restless leg syndrome. I just assume they're all related to my neuropathies (I've been diagnosed with peripheral, autonomic, and small-fiber neuropathies).

I agree with Moblet on the meditative strategy -- not that it eases the problem necessarily, but that it can ease resistance, which is exacerbating. I also agree that cannabis is absolutely the most effective medicine. Without it (just a wee bit before bed) I would not be able to get to sleep, since the problems worsen through the day and into the night, at least for me. I also get relief from epsom baths nightly, and various magnesium and gaba supplements.

I may differ from Moblet on one point, however: I get very reliable relief from regular TENS treatment. About an hour each evening while watching TV. When I don't do it my sleep disturbances are significantly increased.

As for your husband thinking you're nuts, that's what I used to think about restless leg syndrome when I first started hearing the term. Now, I'm amazed that it's still often categorized as "psychiatric." If you have a bad case of RLS you know it ain't just "in your head"!

JaimeS

Went off of Terry Naturally Healthy Feet and Nerves for the first time since onset and experienced this weird 'buzzing' symptom -- had almost forgotten it existed. Weird, electrical feeling. Might be the same. Maybe give that one a go.

Mel9

Went off of Terry Naturally Healthy Feet and Nerves for the first time since onset and experienced this weird 'buzzing' symptom -- had almost forgotten it existed. Weird, electrical feeling. Might be the same. Maybe give that one a go.

Thanks. I will try it.

Dechi

I have this feeling often. I never know what to call it and every time I see a suitable name, I forget it... I'll try to remember this one : the electrical buzz !

I don't know why it happens, but I feel it most when I am lying down in my bed at night, trying to sleep. It's like internal soft trembling. I always thought it was whatever I am infected with going through my body. But honestly I have no idea. The more tired I am, the worse it is.

I have this feeling often. I never know what to call it and every time I see a suitable name, I forget it... I'll try to remember this one : the electrical buzz !

I don't know why it happens, but I feel it most when I am lying down in my bed at night, trying to sleep. It's like internal soft trembling. I always thought it was whatever I am infected with going through my body. But honestly I have no idea. The more tired I am, the worse it is.
I feel it most when I wake up in the middle of the night, or at least it bothers me more in the middle of the night.

I checked out the ingredients and all those Bs would definitely bother me. Makes me have lots of anxiety. I am trying to build up my Bs slowly. Maybe soon, I can try it.

Hip

i have had strange electrical sensations off and on for 8 yrs. It varies and happens when I am awake and when I awake from sleep. The sensations vary from feeling like my body is in a fluorescent bulb to gentle psychodelic waves of vibration traveling down my body to straight out terror and panic attacks w/ the inside of my scalp tingeling.

Could your sensations be paresthesias, which are "tingling, tickling, pricking, numbness or burning of a person's skin with no apparent physical cause." Ref: 1

The pins and needles sensation is one type of paresthesia. Benfotiamine is a good supplement for paresthesias.

Starsister

Could your sensations be paresthesias, which are "tingling, tickling, pricking, numbness or burning of a person's skin with no apparent physical cause." Ref: 1

The pins and needles sensation is one type of paresthesia. Benfotiamine is a good supplement for paresthesias.
Hip, I have determined, thanks to this site, that I have allodynia. Never heard of benfotiamine, but do up you have refs for it working for allodynia? I'm desperate!

Hip

Hip, I have determined, thanks to this site, that I have allodynia. Never heard of benfotiamine, but do up you have refs for it working for allodynia? I'm desperate!

I don't, but a quick consult with Google indicates benfotiamine does work for allodynia.

pamojja

The sensations vary from feeling like my body is in a fluorescent bulb to gentle psychodelic waves of vibration traveling down my body to straight out terror and panic attacks w/ the inside of my scalp tingeling.

Interesting perspective. I've got an other from practicing traditional Buddhist meditation. For example in 4-elements meditation one learns to directly perceive all 4 elements the body is made of: like earth (hardness, softness), water (cohesion, fluidity), air (vibrations, motion) and fire (heat, cold). With enough training one can feel all 4 of them at once. Target is, of course, to loosen attachment to the body.

For me such sensations came by intensive practice. They can be terrifying, or utter bliss. Common denominator in all such sensations is impermanence, just arising to pass again, always changing.

So it seems it all depends on the perspective. Either one could consider it pathological, or even train for being able to feel such sensations in meditative practice.