• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Results.

Fuzzyhead

Can anyone give me any advice on these results please?

Attachments

• GrahamDianne072416 (4).pdf
    138.5 KB · Views: 58

Crux

Wow your MCV is really high.

It's not a clear indicator of a specific issue, but there are many possibilities. The doctor will need to further test.
Some possibilities are : hypothyroid, liver problems, and more.
Other causes are : B12 deficiency, folate deficiency, low B6, and low copper.

Crux

High MCV means, big blood cells.

Has your doctor ever had blood tests done? A CBC, or complete blood count is a basic test. It would include MCV.

Fuzzyhead

Yes numerous times and this has never came up abnormal. I tested weak positive for lyme and my NK57 was low on the armin labs but the nhs basic lyme test was negative.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
What does high MCV mean? My dr won't accept these bloods because they are private.

Any doctor will accept an MCV of 106 because the machines are absolutely standard. It may not mean much if the haemoglobin level is normal but it would normally be investigated - probably the most common causes are hypothyroidism, folate deficiency and alcohol consumption. But a small proportion of people have a high MCV for no very obvious reason.

In terms of the tests for infection I think it is very difficult to know how to interpret results from private labs of this sort.

Thinktank

Besides the MCV, nothing seems out of order really.
CD57 is a bit low, i've also seen low CD57 in people without lyme so it's not a good marker.
I would not rely on the elispot for a lyme diagnosis, it gives too many false positives and imo can't be trusted.

I was diagnosed with lyme disease partly because of this elispot test. Years of antibiotics, IV and oral did nothing, turns out i probably never had lyme disease. What i'm left with is a messed up microbiome, damage from oxidative stress, more allergies and food intollerances, skin problems and ofcourse a much lighter wallet.

Last edited:

Fuzzyhead

What would you rely on for a lyme diagnosis Thinktank? Obviously somethings going on when i haven't been well for 17yrs.

Thinktank

Well, my opinion might be skewed after the fiasco i've been through.
At the moment, until better tests are available, i would only accept a CDC-positive result as lyme diagnosis, or knowing that i have been bitten by a tick.
If negative i'd try a 6 weeks course of doxycycline (+metronidazole perhaps) to see if anything happens, a strong herxheimer reaction would indicate infection.
I know of too many people who have not improved on years of antibiotic therapy, or even got worse. There are not only lots of people with lyme who have been misdiagnosed, but also people who received a lyme diagnosis based on false -positive tests like the elispot and perhaps Igenex.

Fuzzyhead

I got ill 17yrs ago and it started with an off balance feeling and i just didn't feel right. I was a post lady at the time and very fit, went to the gym etc.
The symptoms over the years are:
Headaches
Anxiety
Brain fog
Dizziness
numbness
tingling
Can't think straight
Muscle aches
Restless legs
Light sensitivity
ibs symptoms
Muscle twitches
Sweating
Night sweats
Sore throats
fatigue
insomnia
Sleeping too much (can't get up)
Excess mucous
Ear and jaw pain
depression
migraine
eye pain
There are more but can't think of them all at the moment.
All these can be Lyme or any other virus/infection but it's knowing which one.

Fuzzyhead

Only the Elispot was borderline positive + other suggestive immune markers that indicate infection.
Do you mean on mine or yours?