• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS RESEARCH TREND

A.B.

Interesting until slide 10, when I started to reach for my tin foil hat ;)

It's kind of hard to avoid thinking that something stinks in the way the illness has been handled. The author is just guessing (in my opinion, poorly). There is a lot more evidence for involvement of the health insurance industry, although actually proving that there is a deliberate effort to deny the biological nature of the illness is very difficult.

I wonder if some sort of analysis like this could be eaisly done on networks of citations too? This whole misadventure could be a useful case-study for those who want to learn about Bad Science.

alex3619

I wonder if some sort of analysis like this could be eaisly done on networks of citations too? This whole misadventure could be a useful case-study for those who want to learn about Bad Science.
There is a concept of citation circles, researchers endlessly citing their colleagues, who cite them. I think we also have to consider review circles, reviewers endlessly approving their colleagues' research, and vice versa.

alex3619

On military conspiracy, the military do lots of research on things that are not about weapons and warfare, including medicine. They train and deploy large numbers of soldiers and support staff, sometimes at a training cost of hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars each ... and then they get sick with something incurable and that investment is lost. A huge amount of money would have been essentially lost because of ME or CFS alone. Why wouldn't the military be interested?

Now questions about why psychobabble has any credence with the military are not a huge mystery either. Soldiers often get PTSD and depression.

Murph

:)
Definitely interesting to hear that the hypothalamus has military applications.

Little known fact: you can't actually even qualify for military service without one! And if you lose yours while on active duty, you're immediately flown home. Something is going on there...

user9876

There is a concept of citation circles, researchers endlessly citing their colleagues, who cite them. I think we also have to consider review circles, reviewers endlessly approving their colleagues' research, and vice versa.

There are network graph analysis techniques used to look at social networks that could be applied. I think they are quite computationally expensive and tend to be done using computers with large memories but that is where there are millions of connections. With academic papers there are much fewer.

Citations of course don't mean recommendations as papers that are critical will also cite.