• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone tried this supplement?

belize44

My DO has recently started me on an adrenal supplement and something called Rhodiola. Now, whether it was just timing I don't know, but ever since starting on the two I have been in severe crash mode. The Friday before taking the supplements for the first time, I had several shots of prednisone and anti inflammatory stuff for pain. By Sunday I was fully crashed and still no relief in sight as I write this. I even skipped two days without taking them to see if I improved, but no dice. So I resumed taking them.

Dechi

Yes, I tried it for a while, for anxiety I think. I had to stop it, I don't remember why though. If I were you I would be careful. Since it's a new supplement, I wouldn't take it again until I am well, or back to baseline. Then test it again.

helen1

Yes, rhodiola makes me mini crash too and have read of others that crash from it. It's stimulating, a bit like caffeine. I've read that many pwME can't handle adrenal supplements either especially adrenal extracts. What's in yours?

belize44

The adrenal supplement has just bovine adrenals in it.

The weird thing is that I have read of the Rhodiola having a stimulating affect, but I haven't felt that at all. What I feel is super sedated and sleeping a lot.:confused:

helen1

The adrenal supplement has just bovine adrenals in it.

The weird thing is that I have read of the Rhodiola having a stimulating affect, but I haven't felt that at all. What I feel is super sedated and sleeping a lot.:confused:
I know someone that reacts that way to coffee. And people with ADD usually react that way to stimulants. They relax and can focus. Not saying you have ADD, just that we're biodiverse.

belize44

I had read so much about Rhodiola helping with energy and such that I am really disappointed at this outcome. I just wrote my doctor and told him about this effect and will wait to see what he advises. Sigh.

belize44

Well, amazingly enough I have taken a turn for the better! I read some other posts here on PR and then did a little more research and found that maybe some of my other supplements might have been interfering with the Adrenal and the Rhodiola. I was taking GABA and a bit of Xanax to sleep, and this may have caused the problems.

Tonight I was able to prepare a meal for my husband for the first time in over ten days. I had skipped a dose of the two supplements this afternoon, feeling despaired that they would help me. Around 3 pm, I realized that I was feeling wide awake, for lack of a better term. I will see how this goes now!:)