• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

strain of medical marijuana!

Johnskip

of all the strains of medical marijuana there has to be one that gives us significant relief!!!!

Murph

:)
I found this piece very interesting.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-that-maui-wowie-doesnt-hit-you-the-same-way-every-time/

Basically there has not been the kind of r&d on weed that there has been on other agricultural products and the branding is often completely out of whack.

While a granny smith apple is more or less the same everywhere, sour diesel kush means one thing in one shop and one thing somewhere else, even if the people selling have the best intentions.

"
Holmes’s company has an online data visualization showing genetic relationships between samples of cannabis DNA that have been submitted to it by people from all over the world. About 20 percent to 30 percent of the time, he told me, the samples they test won’t be even remotely related to other samples sold under the same “variety” name. That’s similar to results that a Canadian research team got in 2015, when it found that 35 percent of its samples were more genetically similar to samples with a different name than to samples with the same name. Holmes said that these distinctions can matter to recreational consumers who had a bad experience on a certain variety and want to avoid it in the future.

That also applies to people who are picking their weed based on the broad “family” categories of sativa and indica. The former is often said to produce highs that make you feel energetic and creative, while the latter is supposedly the stuff that makes you fall asleep on the couch after 15 minutes. But “it’s all just a big myth,” Holmes said. And other scientists agreed. The 2015 Canadian study, for instance, found that even though there is some evidence that cannabis could be organized into two families with distinct traits (and even that is the subject of scientific debate), those “sativa” and “indica” designations aren’t really meaningful to the consumer market, because of both cross-breeding that muddies the distinction and simple mistaken identity. In one case, a variety called Jamaican Lambs Bread, which was supposed to be a sativa, was nearly genetically identical to a supposed indica variety from Afghanistan. Both the names of cannabis varieties and the indica/sativa division should be thought of as fungible marketing, not accurate biology.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Your best bet is to sample various strains from growers you know and go back to the ones that give you relief. I have rubbed elbows with a lot of growers here is Washington State. Labels of strains are just that, labels.

Growers share genetics, and they get labeled with the growers' forum name, such as "Jimbo's Blueberry" or "Sativa Steve's Granddaddy Purple." Clones are shared, swapped or sold.

Having tried a lot of different strains, I can say that Sativas will make you more sociable, and Indicas will make you a bit sleepy and put you on the couch. Either can be good for pain. Both make you high, there's no getting around that or the munchies.

None gave me relief from ME/CFS, other than a mental vacation. Some strains were good for muscle spasms. Lately though, for muscle spasms, I've found that a particular brand of magnesium supplement took care of them, so I haven't used cannabis for several months.

Johnskip

Your best bet is to sample various strains from growers you know and go back to the ones that give you relief. I have rubbed elbows with a lot of growers here is Washington State. Labels of strains are just that, labels.

Growers share genetics, and they get labeled with the growers' forum name, such as "Jimbo's Blueberry" or "Sativa Steve's Granddaddy Purple." Clones are shared, swapped or sold.

Having tried a lot of different strains, I can say that Sativas will make you more sociable, and Indicas will make you a bit sleepy and put you on the couch. Either can be good for pain. Both make you high, there's no getting around that or the munchies.

None gave me relief from ME/CFS, other than a mental vacation. Some strains were good for muscle spasms. Lately though, for muscle spasms, I've found that a particular brand of magnesium supplement took care of them, so I haven't used cannabis for several months.
can you please tell me the brand of magnesium?

medfeb

I am trying to find a CBD brand/form that is effective for pain. But I'm new to this area. Does anyone have a recommendation for a particular brand or else know of a resource that can help me sort through this? Appreciate any feedback that you might have

helen1

CBD oil works great for a friend with terrible pain from a car accident. It's got almost no THC (0.1 %) so no psychoactive effect except relaxation. She does say it slows her down a fair bit though. She gets it from Cannimed (rx required) but I'm sure you can get it lots of places.

Whatever you do try, you'd want to check out how clean the product is. Cannabis is well known for absorbing toxins from the soil. It's used as a biodecontaminant to clean up industrial sites in some places.

Basilico

Florida
I believe Charlotte's Web is a strain that is used by some to drastically reduce frequent and severe seizures; I think any of the strains that are used by epilepsy patients would be a good place to start, as these probably reduce brain inflammation.

bspg

Plant Queen
Check out www.leafly.com or even better, download their app. They have a wealth of information on many strains and include user reviews. It helped me greatly in identifying a strain that I can tolerate.

Also, Steep Hill labs has partnered with Leafly to create something called the "strain fingerprint" -- a diagram of the different compounds found in each strain and their percentages. Unfortunately there aren't very many "fingerprints" available yet, but the ones that exist are helpful. They can be found with their respective strains on Leafly or by googling "strain fingerprint" and looking at the images.

That being said, I don't believe you'll find a strain that brings significant relief from CFS, however you might find one that brings some relief and that's better than none.