• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

sweating completely differently now

Johnskip

I don't sweat at all like I used to if I try and push myself my head will sweat a little but I was always an entire body sweater it's got to be autonomic dysfunction

ahmo

I didn't sweat for most of the years of being ill. Now, last year and especially this past summer, I'm sweating.:) I can only attribute it to several years of detox. Who knew it would feel so good to be dripping with sweat!

TreePerson

I have the same thing with the head only sweating. And it is associated with a peculiar crawling sensation under my skin as if the rest of my body is trying to sweat and is unable to. But I have found that whey protein isolate gives me whole body sweating. I am still undecided as to whether this is a good or bad thing and I'm continuing to experiment. Ibuprofen also seems to help.

kangaSue

Sweat abnormalities are commonly found as sudomotor dysfunction as part and parcel of having Autonomic Neuropathy, something which can be autoimmune or Diabetes related or just idiopathic.

QSART and TST are the two Autonomic Function Tests used to check for this.

Quantitative sudomotor axon reflex test (QSART) is used to evaluate postganglionic sympathetic cholinergic sudomotor function by measuring the axon-reflex mediated sweat response over time

Thermoregulatory sweat testing (TST) is used to evaluate the integrity of central and peripheral sympathetic sudomotor pathways from the CNS to the cutaneous sweat glands. The core body temperature is raised by increasing the ambient room temperature which in turn raises blood and skin temperature. The degree and extent of sweat production is then visualized with an indicator dye.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3046462/

Sudomotor dysfunction often occurs along with having cardiac output issues (POTS, OH etc) too. A full Autonomic Function Test panel work-up checking out the cardiac side of things would also include doing a Tilt Table Test, Valsalva Manouvre and Heart Rate Variability to Deep Breathing Tests.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Hypothyroidism can decrease sweating. Yes, this is the third time I've mentioned hypothyroidism to you regarding different symptoms you are having. You're not imagining it.:nerd:

Johnskip

I didn't sweat for most of the years of being ill. Now, last year and especially this past summer, I'm sweating.:) I can only attribute it to several years of detox. Who knew it would feel so good to be dripping with sweat!
I would pay big big money to sweat like a pig right now I love sweating I'm glad for you

Johnskip

can i ask are you active???

Johnskip

Hypothyroidism can decrease sweating. Yes, this is the third time I've mentioned hypothyroidism to you regarding different symptoms you are having. You're not imagining it.:nerd:
I know I'm not imagining nothing these symptoms are as real as real can be they said my thyroid is completely fine

Last edited:

Johnskip

I have the same thing with the head only sweating. And it is associated with a peculiar crawling sensation under my skin as if the rest of my body is trying to sweat and is unable to. But I have found that whey protein isolate gives me whole body sweating. I am still undecided as to whether this is a good or bad thing and I'm continuing to experiment. Ibuprofen also seems to help.
same exact I can feel my whole body trying to sweat but don't are you active can i ask do you exercise?

TreePerson

No not active at all. Housebound mainly bedbound though care for myself just about. I have been ill for 24 years this year. The non sweating probably started about 10 years ago. Or that's when I became aware of it. I am wondering if the whey protein is circumventing the blockage described by Fluge and Mella Ron Davis etc and that this allows me to sweat. However I have read that high-protein can cause sweating. And was also advised on here that the sweating is likely to be an allergic response to the whey protein! I feel that when I manage to sweat it does me good.
My own feeling is that my body wants to sweat due to autonomic temperature control issues but that some kind of vascular or cellular problem prevents it.

Johnskip

I know for a fact that this is true with me as I can hardly sweat on my body anymore I was a big sweater not no more I believe this is definitely the cause of my illness my autonomic nervous system 100 percent