• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone watched "The Shack"?

Mohawk1995

Recently saw this movie and have read the book in the past. To me it is an interesting perspective on suffering and loss. Brought up a lot of thoughts and questions we experienced in our process with our son who has suffered with ME/CFS.

My question is what are people's thoughts on this who have either read the entire book or have seen the movie? I am not interested in debating the theology of the movie/book, more just getting people's impression of it and if they had thoughts on how it portrays one person's journey to restoration. I completely understand that the subject matter is not about ME/CFS, but the subject matter is not easily resolved in the sense of fairness which I think it has in common with ME/CFS.

Please feel free to agree or disagree with any part of the film or book. If possible please stay away from trying to convince someone else, just share your experience or you thoughts. Even ok to disagree, but don't be "disagreeable". And of course please share anything you feel is helpful!

Thanks

Gingergrrl

@Mohawk1995 I have not seen the Shack but I would really like to and it looks very interesting/intriguing to me. I have not seen a movie in a theatre in 3-4 years but am at the point now that I am pretty certain I could do it w/wheelchair if the theatre had no stairs/escalator vs. flat ground or elevator and wheelchair accessible to the seats. But most likely will wait until it is available on Netflix/TV like I do w/all movies since getting ill.

Mohawk1995

@Gingergrrl hopefully you will be able to see it soon. :) Probably somewhat of a draining movie to watch as well I would think. Lots of questions. Things I think are worth considering even if one disagrees.

We have some very nice wheelchair accessible theaters near to our home. I am certainly more aware than ever to that.

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl hopefully you will be able to see it soon. :) Probably somewhat of a draining movie to watch as well I would think. Lots of questions. Things I think are worth considering even if one disagrees.

I actually don't find these kinds of movies draining vs. I cannot tolerate to watch action movies with car chases and gun battles LOL.

We have some very nice wheelchair accessible theaters near to our home. I am certainly more aware than ever to that.

I have no doubt that most if not all movie theaters today would be wheelchair accessible under ADA law. I do plan to attempt to see a movie in the future to test this out as I am getting stronger. But am just not quite there yet.

jesse's mom

I loved that book and when it came out, I bought it for my girls. I have not seen the movie.
As happens with many of my favorite books, they are borrowed and never brought back...