• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Football: Mario Götze remains sidelined, metabolic disturbances diagnosed

AndyPR

For the Americans reading this, football=soccer ;)
This is the complete press release;
Bundesliga club Borussia Dortmund will continue to be without midfielder Mario Götze for the time being. The 24-year-old World Cup winner has continually suffered with muscular problems in the last few months, prompting a comprehensive internal investigation into the possible causes.

Those investigations revealed the player has metabolic disturbances, rendering it absolutely necessary to withdraw him from team training for the time being. "I'm currently undergoing treatment and will do everything in my power to be back in training and helping my team to achieve our common goals as soon as possible," Götze said.

"We're happy to have now uncovered the reasons for Mario's difficulties and are convinced that his extraordinary abilities will give us additional quality once he has completely recovered from this," emphasised Borussia Dortmund's Sporting Director Michael Zorc, who continued: "Mario has the full backing and maximum support of everyone at BVB during his recovery!"
http://www.bvb.de/eng/News/Overview/Mario-Goetze-remains-sidelined-metabolic-disturbances-diagnosed

Interesting to note that it has taken months to diagnose a top footballer with whatever he actually has.

Hajnalka

Thanks, Andy, that's interesting! A sad looking Mario Götze made the headlines of a lot of German newspapers today (football players are extremely popular in Germany). Normally I'm too exhausted to read newspapers, but I will have a look at these articles.

Hajnalka

Hm, strange, it's not mentioned what kind of metabolic illness he has, but it's stretched, that it's treatable. He's not in hospital, but treated as an outpatient. While I'm typing this, I realize how bitter I've become, guess I now envy other people for having treatable illnesses. :(

Edited: typo

Last edited:

sb4

I hope this is ME and thus translates to more attention to curing a physical disease. Unfortunately the article is very vague.

Thanks, Joh. I doubt it is ME, sb4. His main problems are muscle injuries rather than performance issues. It's said he exercises more than his colleagues - hard to imagine if he had ME.

Hajnalka

@Those in Germany, have any more details come out about this that you've seen?
Hi @AndyPR ,

Checked on the latest German gossip for you. :) It's all quite vague. Apparently Götze has a metabolic disorder called myopathy. One article said he can't properly convert food into energy (sounds familiar). He's in hospital (contrary to earlier reports), but it's not mentioned what kind of treatment he gets. Getting well is supposed to take "long" = rather months than weeks (I guess nobody here would consider this to be long ;)). But he's supposed to get completely cured.

The story leading up to the diagnosis sound kind of familiar: His fitness kept getting worse, although he trained more and harder. His blood tests came back without results. He put on weight, despite being on a strict diet. People started talking, that he didn't try hard enough and was throwing his talent away. And because he lacked the energy to socialize he was called arrogant. I'm not into football, but apparently there was a lively debate about why his performance was getting worse and everybody had an opinion (and it was pinned on his personality, like with ME).

Unfortunately there are no information on how he got diagnosed in the end. There was one doctor who believed him and decided to dig deeper than the others and found this "metabolic disorder".

But all these infos are from rainbow press articles, so no idea how accurate any of this is. :whistle:

AndyPR

World Cup winner Mario Gotze has been ruled out for the rest of the season as he recovers from a "metabolic disorder" but is expected to be "fully fit" for the start of next term.

The Germany and Borussia Dortmund midfielder, 24, has been limited to nine Bundesliga starts because of muscular problems since re-signing from Bayern Munich last summer.

Gotze is on a rehabilitation programme and could be training by early summer, but it depends on how he responds to treatment, said the German club.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39281900

@Joh , impressive that your investigations led to them putting out this statement ;)