• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The difficulty of intense social interaction...

Sandman00747

while in the middle (I hope the middle) of a major flare is a tough proposition for me. A lot of my friends and family have been telling me that lately I've been quite grumpy, grouchy, short-tempered, contrary, yada, yada, yada, and I know they're right.

I sometimes wish that they could "walk a mile in my shoes" so they could just have a small taste of the kind of self discipline and downright guts it takes to still go out in the world and try to function in a somewhat "normal" manner with this malady.( And yes, I know I am blessed with not being bed or housebound.)

But, that isn't going to happen so I must try to harness yet more resolve and try to be a kinder person through this flair. But it's a bad one as I know you guys can relate to. It's hammering me and strangely I keep hearing this " earworm " piece of music running through my head while dealing with this particular bout of illness.

" I used to be such a sweet, sweet thing 'til " IT " got a hold of me." Oh, it's so true I swear! I've become that which I detest, " an old grouch!"

Mohawk1995

There is an old proverb that says "The words of those in despair belong to the wind" That does not mean that anyone (especially in a flair) should not be listened to. It does mean to me, however that I should take into account that the words that are coming out of someone's mouth may be highly influenced by the "despair" or difficulty that person is facing. We do not live in a culture that gives much grace to others especially in social media. I think the world would be a better place if we did.

@Sandman00747 I don't know you circumstances specifically, but it sounds like in you heart you desire to be kind toward others and it is just very hard to do at times. It is ok to be there when you are suffering with "IT". Don't judge yourself too harshly and try not to judge others around you who may have a negative reaction to what you are saying. They can't possibly understand completely what you are going through. The most important part is the heart. Try to look for that!

PS I find your honesty and openness to share quite likeable even if you have become an "Old Grouch" ;)

Sandman00747

There is an old proverb that says "The words of those in despair belong to the wind" That does not mean that anyone (especially in a flair) should not be listened to. It does mean to me, however that I should take into account that the words that are coming out of someone's mouth may be highly influenced by the "despair" or difficulty that person is facing. We do not live in a culture that gives much grace to others especially in social media. I think the world would be a better place if we did.

@Sandman00747 I don't know you circumstances specifically, but it sounds like in you heart you desire to be kind toward others and it is just very hard to do at times. It is ok to be there when you are suffering with "IT". Don't judge yourself too harshly and try not to judge others around you who may have a negative reaction to what you are saying. They can't possibly understand completely what you are going through. The most important part is the heart. Try to look for that!

PS I find your honesty and openness to share quite likeable even if you have become an "Old Grouch" ;)

A humbling and kind response @Mohawk 1995. Actually I don't mind a bit of howling into a headwind. I think often times others gain strength from words of other's struggles as they don't feel so alone and isolated with this illness. But make no mistake. I've gone 22-23 years. I'm not quitting now. Not by a long shot!

Hip

I've been quite grumpy, grouchy, short-tempered, contrary

I had this issue for many years (and still do to an extent). I think it is not caused by the position we find ourselves in with ME/CFS, but rather can simply be an accompanying symptom of ME/CFS.

"Grumpy, grouchy, short-tempered, contrary" might be summed up as irritability, which is a medical symptom. The CDC case definition of CFS mentions irritability as a possible accompanying CFS symptom.

I found very low dose amisulpride an excellent treatment for my irritability symptoms. This drug transforms me from a a highly grumpy and irritable person, to someone who is bordering on being human again. See here:

List of Biochemical Causes for Irritability