• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Book out now 'Science, Politics, .......and ME' by Ian Gibson and Elaine Sherriffs

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I bet there's some ten-year-old kid who could handle the file conversion to an e-pub version (the rest of us are the wrong generation!).

Tom Kindlon

It sounds like it could be interesting. He previously led a committee of UK parliamentarians that enquired into the science of ME in the mid-2000s. It was called by many the Gibson (Parliamentary) Inquiry. I spent a number of days writing a submission detailing how the (UK) Medical Research Council had been biased in how it was approaching ME funding, the problems/bias in the way it drew up its research strategy, et cetera. Others also made submissions. Hopefully he learned from that.

I hardly dare write this, but...

I rashly ordered 3 copies, thinking, 1 for me, 1 for my GP and 1 for my MP.

They arrived today.

So far I've waded my way through various introductory bits and chapter 1, and I'm so disappointed. Such a muddle of bits and pieces, I can't see anyone not already committed bothering to read on. I can't possibly ask my GP or MP to read this, however good the later chapters might be.

I hope I'm in a minority of 1. Maybe nursing a fractured shoulder from a fall last week has addled my brain.

Please someone tell me I'm wrong!

Jo Best

My copy hasn't been delivered yet. First review up on Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1543183786/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1488798411&sr=8-1&keywords=science politics and me
5.0 out of 5 starsThe raw truth of years of abuse by policy makers and the medical profession regarding ME
By Mrs. J. Birdsey on 8 Mar. 2017
Verified Purchase

This is no holds barred book, raw truth about the struggles and abuse ME patients get from professional clinicians.

ME patients need justice and I really hope this book hits the head lines, and informs everyone of this misunderstood disease.

The story of ME, if put into a novel would be unbelievable that the medical profession and politics could act in such a cruel manner.

Last edited:

Old Bones

The two copies I ordered (one for me, one for Canada's Health Minister) are supposed to be delivered next Wednesday. I'll follow-up with my opinion when I can.

Your preliminary reviews are disappointing, @trishrhymes and @Chrisb . I certainly wouldn't forward a book likely to do our cause more harm than good.

Hutan

Actually @slysaint, I was a bit worried by the promotional blurb you quote. The language wasn't quite right e.g.

It is long past the time to treat this as a serious illness and the need for serious biomedical research.
Ian Gibson has a passing interest in the current political scene across the world
ME, as described in the book, is a major problem where evidence is relegated to psychiatric explanations. It is a desperate need for scientists as far as health issues are concerned to look for biomedical evidence and ME is a major example.

And a bit repetitive and slightly too hyperbolic to to be credible if the reader is not already very aware of the issues.

It made me decide to wait to hear the reviews.

Those promoting this book might want to rewrite the blurb.

Like others, I am grateful for the effort that has been put into the book, and the intent.

Jo Best

My copy is scheduled to arrive on Monday. Second review on Amazon -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1543183...98411&sr=8-1&keywords=science politics and me
5.0 out of 5 starsA medical scandal comparable to AIDS before it was taken seriously.

By Ted Lewis on 9 Mar. 2017
Verified Purchase

I suspect that most people don't know what "M.E." actually is, so let's clear that up: it stands for Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, which means "pain+ inflammation of the brain/spinal cord".

A lot of people THINK they know what M.E means thanks to 10 years of misrepresentation of this serious neurological illness by the media as "fatigue". This has been done by a powerful PR campaign, representing the hypothesis (which has NOT, as Dr Gibson points out, been proven) that ME doesn't exist. This hypothesis - conjured up by psychiatrists, seemingly at the behest of the medical insurance lobby - has also been adopted by the UK's medical policy-makers. And it has been put into practice by. . . guess who, the psychiatrists who promoted it in the first place.

So we have the "health scandal in our generation" of the book's sub-title.

The result is that "the majority of patients presenting with symptoms of ME in the UK are still referred to psychotherapists" (p49).

Dr Gibson refuses to be put off by this gloomy picture, and wants to describe "the new dawn that is opening up in the field of biomedical research into ME." But he also emphasises the need for a change in the media's attitude to the illness, and above all the urgent necessity for a total re-think on ME policy by medical policy-makers.

As an ex-MP as well as a Doctor he is well placed to tackle the subject. He is assisted by his friend Elaine Sherriffs. There's a foreword by actor Jon Campling, whose wife has ME.

Jo Best

Ian Gibson is chairing the 12th Invest in ME Conference, London, June 2017 (agenda now complete) - http://www.investinme.eu/IIMEC12.shtml#agenda

ig agenda.JPG

Countrygirl

They arrived today.

So far I've waded my way through various introductory bits and chapter 1, and I'm so disappointed. Such a muddle of bits and pieces, I can't see anyone not already committed bothering to read on. I can't possibly ask my GP or MP to read this, however good the later chapters might be.

I hope I'm in a minority of 1. Maybe nursing a fractured shoulder from a fall last week has addled my brain.

Please someone tell me I'm wrong!

Heart sink! I have just ordered two copies and feeling guilty about spending so many pennies. Now I wish I had read your post first @trishrhymes .

Countrygirl

Let's hope you disagree with me. It has some good stuff in it. Some people will like it.

I assume it has been privately printed, so there won't have been any professional editing. Perhaps it is a case of excellent content, but just needs tidying up. If so, then for us and the 'converted' it will be fine, but if it is used for educational purposes.......say for a GP or an MP................not so good. We don't want to just preach to the choir though..........we need a book that we can give to 'disbelievers' or the 'uneducated' ...(I mean GPs here :) ).........

I still wish I had seen your post though before parting with a scarce supply of pennies...:bang-head::(

char47

Sorry, but I can't. I didn't want to be the first to say it. Needed a good editor.
Yes I'm afraid I sadly have to agree. The content is great but I could never give it to anyone who isnt already 'sold' on the situation. And then, whats the point?
It's such a shame & i hate to say it because it's clear that a great deal of hard work & heart has gone into it. But at times i found it incredibly difficult to read simply because of the number of typos, poor sentence structure & lack of appropriate punctuation, having to re read sentences several times in order to grasp it. And although at my worst I cant even understand a simple written paragraph & often struggle with pretty cogintive dysfunction, when i'm at my very best (which i was when reading it) I can usually manage even quite intellectual literature, so this wasnt a brain fog issue on this occasion.
To be honest even a simple volunteer proof read would have helped.

All that said i am hugely greatfull to the authors for their time, care & willingness to wade in to what is a difficult subject. But i fear the typos at the very least will discredit the content for anyone who is skeptical at the outset.

I am very happy to give my copy to anyone who would like it & is happy to PM me with their address, & i'll post it on.