• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bad reaction from vitamin B complex anyone?

So i did a blood test and shows my folate acid is low. So i purchased vitamin B complex blackmores brand. As soon as i take 1 pill i can straight away feel my energy level increase. Thats the good side of it but the bad side is that i can feel a mild headache, drowsiness, brain fog, watery poop. I also feel more calm and chill but my cognitive feel slow at the same time. Now has been my third day taking it. Should i continue taking it or stop? Will the side effects go away after several days or weeks?

Paralee

@rahimhasnan , there's a lot of people that can't take a B complex because of problems with even one of the B vitamins, or they should be taking methylated instead of regular, all kinds of things. I can't take a complex because of....I think it's taurine, can't remember for sure.
I've heard of people getting perky on B's , like B12, wish I was one of them. Maybe someone will come on here that knows more about them than I do. Good luck.

Quite some time ago I tried a B complex, Life Extensions brand. 15 min later my face and neck were itching, burning hot, red, then later became swollen. Took 2 benadryl and it worked pretty fast. I was back to normal after an hour.
This happened FOUR different times. Now it's on my list of things to avoid.

Wolfcub

Some of the B vitamins are extracted from yeast. Now that's great if you can handle yeast. But if there's Candida or yeast intolerance, probably not. Do you get the same feelings from bread with yeast? That would be a good way to test if that's the problem.
I do believe it's possible to get yeast-free B complex....though where I am unsure. But I have heard of it. Someone I know bought it for their dog! Because he has a yeast allergy.

pamojja

So i purchased vitamin B complex blackmores brand. As soon as i take 1 pill i can straight away feel my energy level increase. Thats the good side of it but the bad side is that i can feel a mild headache, drowsiness, brain fog, watery poop.

Would first try to lower the dose. Since it's in tablet that can be easily done with a sharp knife or pill-cutter. 1/2 or 1/3 or 1/4. Looked it up and found contains synthetic folic acid, which in up to half the population can't be metabolized to active methylfolate. For you next purchase would look out for a B-complex with methylfolate right away, instead of folic acid. Also choose one with methylcobalamin or adenosylcobalamin instead of cyanocobalmin (B12).

If with other much better brands the side-effects persist I would trial each B vitamin separately.

B vitamins are 2 edged sword, most of the complexes has a large dose and i have learned the hard way that the quality matter a lot when you are very sick and sesnitive as am I. Some doctrs have also explained to my that depedning on your genetics you will tolerate or not tolerate different kind of B Vitamin forms. Most b vitamins make feel better only to make my neuropathy go crazy afterwards, hard to tell if it is because of toxicity problems as i have many of them or becasue my immune system is being stimulated. I have tried most of the regular supplements like jarrow, thorne etc, i arrived at neurorubine. It was recommeded by pharamcist as clinically testes. And here you go, i could tolerate it in small doses. Go figure. For osme time I did b vitamin injections, they were okay till i started to react to it and it was not that painful as you could think.

drmullin30

Hello, it's been a long time since I posted here but if you are having neuropathy after consuming b-complex you need to be aware of B6 toxicity. It's becoming epidemic. I had struggled with the symptoms for two years. The last year I have improved dramatically by eliminating B6 supplementation and following the low B6 protocol here: https://understandingb6toxicity.com/ I was using P5P exclusively so anyone who says you can't have toxicity from P5P is simply incorrect. The b6 toxicity Facebook group is also very helpful and there are thousands of members. Some of the members became toxic from food only or simply consuming too many energy drinks. I encourage everyone to be very careful with B6 and other b-complex vitamins now. I was taking high doses for many years. B6 depletes sodium and can cause copper deficiency which contribute to the small fiber neuropathy. High dose folate and b12 can cause dehydration and sodium regulation issues. I now only take small doses of folate, b12, b2, b1 and biotin to help with my methylation and oxalate issues. Pyridoxine is a known neurotoxin in high amounts.