• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why do some biological processes require a mix of inactive and active forms of B-vitamins?

I was looking at the nutrient requirements for the production of stomach acid and noticed that there is a mix of inactive and active forms of B-vitamins required namely B1, B3 and P-5-P (active from of B6).

Is this because the B1 and B3 are activated as part of the chemical process of making stomach acid where as B6 is not and needs to arrive at the party already activated?

alicec

I was looking at the nutrient requirements for the production of stomach acid and noticed that there is a mix of inactive and active forms of B-vitamins required namely B1, B3 and P-5-P (active from of B6).

Is this because the B1 and B3 are activated as part of the chemical process of making stomach acid where as B6 is not and needs to arrive at the party already activated?

All the vitamins need to be in active form to act as enzyme cofactors.

I suspect the author of whatever you have been reading is just referring to commonly used supplemental vitamins, not to the action of the vitamins in the cell.

Last edited: