• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS Metabolomic research in Oxford, Newcastle and the ME Biobank

charles shepherd

ME/CFS Metabolomic research in Oxford, Newcastle and the ME Biobank

The MEA appeal has now closed and raised almost £70,000 to fund the first UK research study into metabolomics in ME/CFS

MEA trustees have also allocated a further £30,000 from the Ramsay Research Fund to enable to scope of this important new research to be extended beyond what was originally planned

The research will involve researchers at the Universities of Oxford and Newcastle and make use of blood samples from the (MEA RRF funded) ME/CFS Biobank at the Royal Free Hospital in London

Update on this research on the MEA website:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/2017/03/our-big-christmas-appeal-the-final-wrap-up-7-march-2017/

Dr Charles Shepherd
Hon Medical Adviser, MEA

AndyPR

“Our initial project has escalated. The knowledge in this area has exploded in the last six months. At Oxford, we have been talking to colleagues in different departments and there is real interest into investigating this field."
What alternative universe is this? I thought that us patients only chased researchers from the field?? ;)

A.B.

It could become a hot topic in research.

Scientifically speaking this illness is largely unexplored territory. Which means exciting discoveries await, that will make a real difference for millions of patients.

Thanks to better media coverage public perception also seems to be shifting. Funding is still a major problem but that can change. Once a critical mass of awareness and funding is reached, there might very well be an explosion of interest.