• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lack of protein causing me to crash?

TrixieStix

Tonight I had a very sudden crash that I believe was due to having not eaten enough protein for my body's needs. After I ate the piece of salmon my husband cooked for me I slowly began to come out of the crash and normalize (my normal of course). It was not simply that I had not eaten because I had eaten. And it was nothing like a blood sugar crash.

Of course I have no way of proving that, and I may be totally wrong, but I wondered if anybody else has experienced anything similar?

xrayspex

I noticed yesterday, I was having bad energy pain day, that after I had some bone broth soup with little bits of meat in it that I had simmered all day that I felt much better, was interesting!

Learner1

I tend to need methionine and tyrosine. They help in different ways with fatigue. Also, one of the recent studies said we need more amino acids.

I tend to do well on 1.4g/kg of protein, confirmed by lab results.

keenly

I tend to need methionine and tyrosine. They help in different ways with fatigue. Also, one of the recent studies said we need more amino acids.

I tend to do well on 1.4g/kg of protein, confirmed by lab results.
What about the ammonia released from the protein though?

Learner1

I have SNPs that predispose me to higher ammonia levels, so I do monitor my ammonia level. It's been on the higher end of the normal range, but hasn't become a problem. If it does, then we deal with it. For now, my body seems to want the amino acids. I eat plenty of protein and supplement those I'm short on.

keenly

I have SNPs that predispose me to higher ammonia levels, so I do monitor my ammonia level. It's been on the higher end of the normal range, but hasn't become a problem. If it does, then we deal with it. For now, my body seems to want the amino acids. I eat plenty of protein and supplement those I'm short on.
What is the best way to monitor ammonia levels?

Learner1

I do an annual Genova Diagnostics NutrEval, which has a $154 prepay in my area. Results take awhile, but the info is valuable, giving all my amino acid levels, B vitamins, antioxidants, Krebs cycle, toxicity, and a lot of other good stuff. Over time, my doctor's and I have learned what my tendencies are, and it's given good info, sometimes surprising, that's been helpful in my treatment.

A regular lab could test, too, and then there's how you and your secretions smell ... and monitoring your symptoms.