• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Effectiveness of Stevia A against Lyme persisters

duncan

Sapi is a name with Lyme pedigree. This in vitro effort might be seen, in part, as a response to the lack of abx efficacy in general for many late stage Bb cases, but also potentially an attempt to help individuals who for whatever reason cannot continue with conventional abx.

Hip

@msf
Stevia A, Stevia B, Stevia C, etc, are just the labels used within the study for the different brands of stevia they tested.

The two most effective brands were Stevia A and Stevia B, and these correspond to Nutramedix stevia (the most effective) and Now Foods stevia respectively.

As an aside: two main chemical components found in stevia leaf are stevioside and rebaudioside A. The majority of stevia sweetener products consist mostly of rebaudioside A.

Stevioside is not so desirable in a stevia product, because it has a bitter aftertaste, and what's more, it is linked to genetic mutations (whereas rebaudioside A is safe), according to this article.

Last edited:

msf

Oops,I missed that part. The paper suggests that stevioside is not effective against Lyme, since Stevia A and B do not contain it.

Hip

Oops,I missed that part. The paper suggests that stevioside is not effective against Lyme, since Stevia A and B do not contain it.

Very interesting.

So presumably it is the rebaudioside A within stevia that has this anti-Borrelia effect.

You can buy stevia products that are up to 99% pure rebaudioside A.

Purebulk.com sell rebaudioside A powder: Stevia Extract (Rebaudioside A 98%)

Rebiana is also a trade name for high-purity rebaudioside A.

It's an in vitro study, though, as has been pointed out, so the results may not translate to in vivo (for example, the rebaudioside A might be broken down too quickly in the body to have much effect).

I guess though if you have Lyme, and you have to choose a sweetener, your best choice may be stevia with a high rebaudioside A content.

I recently bought the Nutramedix Stevia extract (Stevia A in the article) and used it to sweeten my coffee. I found that I like quite a bit of stevia in my coffee LOL, and that within 4 days I was having the works herx of my life. I am curious to see if there are other users of this particularly stevia--Nutramedix that had a similar reaction.

Hanna

I recently bought the Nutramedix Stevia extract (Stevia A in the article) and used it to sweeten my coffee. I found that I like quite a bit of stevia in my coffee LOL, and that within 4 days I was having the works herx of my life. I am curious to see if there are other users of this particularly stevia--Nutramedix that had a similar reaction.
I saw two people "mega-herxing" on nutramedix stevia on a French private facebook lyme group.So you're not alone.

Biarritz13

"Different Stevia extracts manufactured by Nutramedix®, Now®, Sweet leaf®, and Truvia® were purchased from health food stores in the USA and were labeled randomly as Stevia A, B, C, and D."

"Here, we first evaluated four different commercially obtained Stevia extracts (3 alcohol extracts and one extract in powder form)..."

Nutramedix, Now and Sweet leaf are alcohol extracts but Truvia is a powder form.

Since the labels were randomly assigned, we don't know which is Stevia A but the study says "This might be explained by the reported variations observed in the different phytochemical concentrations of different Stevia extracts, which resulted from the growing conditions and agricultural practices followed..."

So the more concentrated the better?

I saw two people "mega-herxing" on nutramedix stevia on a French private facebook lyme group.So you're not alone.
I used took the nutramedix stevia for the first time yesterday and now my ear is inflammed and plugged. Think this is a herx reaction?

erin

I grow stevia in my garden and use it all the time instead of sugar, I cook with it. But I'm not sure what type I have in my garden. I didn't know any effects of stevia, just use it as a sweetener.

valentinelynx

I used took the nutramedix stevia for the first time yesterday and now my ear is inflammed and plugged. Think this is a herx reaction?

Sounds like a histamine reaction: like with other allergies, when you get inflammation of the posterior pharynx and nasal passages and it also affects the auditory canal, so your ears get "plugged up." Some things I'm allergic to, one sniff and my ears are plugged up.