• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brake dust may cause more problems than blackened wheel covers March 3, 2017

Dainty

So, I wear a chemical cartridge respirator (gas mask) in most environments due to severe MCS. It has two parts to it: a pair of cartridges that filter out chemicals, and a pair of filters that go over the cartridges, which filter out particulates.

When I lived in the suburbs, the particulate filters would remain white - I never had to change them, ever. As in, years went by. And the air there wasn't always clean, we'd have temperature inversions that would deam it 'unsafe for sensitive people". I wore the filter mainly for cosmetic reasons, as they made the mask look nicer. In theory, they would make the cartridges last longer if there were particulates in the air.

When I moved to Seattle, within 3 months my filters were turning grey. Left longer, and they'd start turning black.

I suspect the dust from brakes and tires had a lot to do with it. *shudders*

Rvanson

So, I wear a chemical cartridge respirator (gas mask) in most environments due to severe MCS. It has two parts to it: a pair of cartridges that filter out chemicals, and a pair of filters that go over the cartridges, which filter out particulates.

When I lived in the suburbs, the particulate filters would remain white - I never had to change them, ever. As in, years went by. And the air there wasn't always clean, we'd have temperature inversions that would deam it 'unsafe for sensitive people". I wore the filter mainly for cosmetic reasons, as they made the mask look nicer. In theory, they would make the cartridges last longer if there were particulates in the air.

When I moved to Seattle, within 3 months my filters were turning grey. Left longer, and they'd start turning black.

I suspect the dust from brakes and tires had a lot to do with it. *shudders*

Yes, that likely did have a lot to do with that. The question is what can we do about it? People have to drive to work
and trucks (and trains) emit brake dust, as well as cars, but we need them for daily living.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
and trucks (and trains) emit brake dust, as well as cars, but we need them for daily living.

Many people do not NEED to drive to work. Many people live within reasonable distances for electric bicycles. Secondly the reason why many may live so far away from work that they "need" to drive is due to poor urban planning. Building many cities based around the motorcar was likely a big mistake.

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
talking about substances and materials that can cause or worsen diseases, what do you think about deodorants with silver nanoparticles? I try to avoid them!

antares4141

Still, its better then inhaling asbestos dust,
Probably an understatement.
many cars come with a cabin air filter to keep
this junk out of our lungs..

Make sure you change them occasionally! Actually this one had a rat's nest sitting on top of it. I thought I was going to have to quit using it or sell the car it wreaked so bad of decomposing flesh and urine.

If you have a Toyota Camry you need to put some mesh over the intake so rat's can't get in.

toyota filter copy.jpg

antares4141

Mine Camry is 2002, but read on toyota forums common among different models and years around 2000 and 2008 or so anyways. If you don't want to mess with the modification keeping your system set to recirculate will keep them out. Unless the nest is sitting right on top of the door thingy that closes off outside air. In which case they will fall down inside first time you set it to outside air.

cloth copy 2.jpg