• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High 1-Methylhistadine, 3-Methylhistadine levels.

What does it mean?

some other levels are rediculously high also
I attached my full amino acids test

gut issues?

Attachments

• Jack Lunn U160525-2181-1 (1).PDF
    84.2 KB · Views: 18
@Valentijn Hope you dont mind me tagging.

I saw a post of yours from years ago commenting about some high 1-methylhistadine levels and wondered if my results made any sense?

Ive also got very high levels of Beta-Alanine, Anserine, Carnosine (2-3x over the top of the range)

J.G

Fluge and Mella (2016) found high 3-Methylhistadine levels in male MECFS patients. It is associated with protein catabolism / muscle breakdown. The resulting amino acids are likely fed into the Krebs cycle to compensate for inhibited glycolysis, so they think.

alicec

@Valentijn Hope you dont mind me tagging.

I saw a post of yours from years ago commenting about some high 1-methylhistadine levels and wondered if my results made any sense?

Ive also got very high levels of Beta-Alanine, Anserine, Carnosine (2-3x over the top of the range)

These things are all related so not surprising that they are all elevated together.

They are all present in muscles or are products of muscle catabolism.

Do you have high meat consumption?

These things are all related so not surprising that they are all elevated together.

They are all present in muscles or are products of muscle catabolism.

Do you have high meat consumption?
No. Even less than now, at the time.

alicec

As far as I know 1 and 3 methylhistidine are the products of muscle breakdown - either your own or ingested muscle meat. I don't think they have been identified as products of bacterial overgrowth.

Beta alanine could be the product of bacterial overgrowth which could in turn be interfering with the breakdown of carnosine and anserine.

Alternatively all three could be elevated because of poor digestion

or because of poor renal reabsorption (they use the same transporter). Taurine also uses this transporter and I note that yours is highish - also creatinine is highish yet urine volume is high. This suggests possibly less than ideal kidney function that could be worth following up on.

Functional B6 deficiency could pay a part since it is necessary for beta alanine breakdown.

The only single explanation I can come up with is high meat consumption but you say no, so several different things must be going on.

As far as I know 1 and 3 methylhistidine are the products of muscle breakdown - either your own or ingested muscle meat. I don't think they have been identified as products of bacterial overgrowth.

Beta alanine could be the product of bacterial overgrowth which could in turn be interfering with the breakdown of carnosine and anserine.

Alternatively all three could be elevated because of poor digestion

or because of poor renal reabsorption (they use the same transporter). Taurine also uses this transporter and I note that yours is highish - also creatinine is highish yet urine volume is high. This suggests possibly less than ideal kidney function that could be worth following up on.

Functional B6 deficiency could pay a part since it is necessary for beta alanine breakdown.

The only single explanation I can come up with is high meat consumption but you say no, so several different things must be going on.
What are tests I should do to check kidneys and renal reabsoption

Also, is aldosterone or anti-duiretic hormone related to this area? I had both those things tested as I wondered if they could be linked to the frequent urination.

Aldosterone 198 p/mol upright. This converts to around 7 ng/dl

ADH 2.1 pmol/L (1-20)
Osmolality - 307 mosmol/kg

Last edited: